Spanish Tarot - High Priest's Staff

Abrac

Has anyone ever noticed the High Priest's staff in the Spanish Tarot? I don't ever recall seeing one like this. I thought I would ask if anyone knows anything about it.

Abrac

Fulgour

He's different, that's for sure! And no hat...

Attachments

• V. EL SUMO SACERDOTE.jpg
    V. EL SUMO SACERDOTE.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 283

Abrac

Thanks for the picture Fulgour.

I have not been able to find out anything on this particular staff. It's possible the collar part is for pulling near and the prod on the end is for driving away. But this is pure speculation.

Fulgour

I'm beginning to think it may be a stylized caduceus.

On the card it doesn't jump out at you, but looking
at a caduceus and thinking about this card it does.

lionsdentamer

Staff

Very interesting... I look forward to seeing if there is some kind of symbolism. Or perhaps, it was just an artist's devise?

Abrac

Fulgour I can see what you are saying. It does have the basic shape of the caduceus (minus the wings).

lionsdentamer I have been digging through online pictures and and old books trying see if I can find where this came from. I am beginning to wonder myself if this is the artist's invention.

euripides

I agree that it could be a simplification of intertwined snakes surmounted by a cross.

Abrac

Gourd?

While this does look like it could be a sylized caduceus, the fact that the curved lines do not cross in the center has always troubled me. I am starting to think it is supposed to be a gourd on the end of this scepter. It strongly resembles the basic shape of a gourd with a long stem on its end.

A cursory study of the symbolism of the gourd proves enlightning and fits perfectly with this card. The association of the gourd with Spanish culture is also hard to ignore.

Rosanne

Hi Abrac- I like the gourd proposal! I have an very old book about Roman Catholic regalia/vestments/ritual and I cannot bend the spine to put it on the scanner. In it there is a staff like that and beside it is the explanation that it is the old alchemical sign for salt. I have a symbols book with modern renditions of symbols and I will post those- one I find interesting as it is a Phoenician staff the other as I said a modern take on Salt.~Rosanne

Attachments

• Phoenician Staff.jpg
    Phoenician Staff.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Salt symbol.jpg
    Salt symbol.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 182

Abrac

Rosanne said:
In it there is a staff like that and beside it is the explanation that it is the old alchemical sign for salt.
Is it exactly like the one on The High Priest card?