Hanson Roberts - 6 of Rods

rachelcat

I thought we should keep moving on our study group, so I drew a card for today and got the card everyone likes to see turn up--6 of Rods, victory or success.

Here we see the battle victor riding back into his city in a victory parade. He has laurel wreaths both on his helmet and one of his rods. He is still dressed in battle gear--his helmet is still on and his riding gloves, but he has thrown on a bright red cape over all (and the wreaths). His page/horse handler/foot soldier walk along beside him, looking mildly pleased by the parade but still wary. I think the war isn't over. All is backed by a huge, brilliant, fiery sun, perfect for Rods.

Should we continue to discuss/wonder about why they are called rods and not wands? I agree that wands can be a bit too "magicky" for a general tarot user (that's not into magic(k)). But then why, as someone else has already pointed out, are the "rods" depicted in this deck actually Aaron's flowering staff from the Old Testament, a very magical take on the suit symbol? Wouldn't it make more sense to just depict a variety of sticks, depending on their uses (fighting staffs, king's scepter, etc.), as other decks do?

I figure if I include a little (very little) controversy, I'll get more replies! Seriously, let's continue to study. Let everyone know your take on the 6 of Rods.

Flavio

rachelcat said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to just depict a variety of sticks, depending on their uses (fighting staffs, king's scepter, etc.), as other decks do?

I figure if I include a little (very little) controversy, I'll get more replies! Seriously, let's continue to study. Let everyone know your take on the 6 of Rods.
Why not opening a new thread on this wands/rods theme? sure keeping the controversy here would help, but somehow the 6 of Rods would be forgotten. Just an idea...

Flavio

Is a glory day, the sun shines as never before as the perfect frame for the local hero to be honored by city's people, he is wearing a luxurious helmet and the rest of his clothing is of good manufacture and fine materials like leather and gold, he smiles with satisfaction as he parades all around the city. I've always wondered if he would greet the people of the city if his hand weren't holding a rod.

Walking near the horse there is another man, I think he feels honored to walk by his lord so his expression is cold, I don't see this man as a bodyguard as he doesn't seem young and strong, I believe he takes care of the horse when the hero gets down.

tarotlova

I think the man walking next to the horse being clothed in brown is to keep the hero shall we call him, grounded, and as his horse is brown to I think the message is doubled,we have all heard of the expression to fall of his high horse so I think despite your success in whatever matter it is don't forget where you came from.

Lurea

tarotlova said:
... so I think despite your success in whatever matter it is don't forget where you came from.

That's a good point, tarotlova, I'm adding that to my journal page on this card. Another idea I have about this card is that it is triumph or victory *after* strife or adversity.

In a way, it's a little like the last card we looked at, the seven of pentacles. In the seven of pentacles, the success was still in the future, and the 'work' of being patient, sowing properly and so on was the focus. In this card, the success has arrived, but we mustn't forget the strife or oppostion we had to overcome to get there. :)