To allow reversals or not - that is the question!

Do you allow cards to be reversed in a spread?

• YES - always

Votes: 80 26.1%
  • YES - but on rare occasions not

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • NO - never

Votes: 80 26.1%
  • NO - but on rare occasions I do

Votes: 91 29.7%

• Total voters

jmd

Given some of the other discussions, I thought it would be nice to run this poll and continue discussing why we may prefer to draw cards either allowing or not reversals.

Of necessity, some of the comments we are likely to post will duplicate ones already made specifically on the subject - but so be it!

For myself, I tend to consider that reversals are an important aspect of any spread - not just because it increases the possibilities of what is presented (which it does), but because pictorial indications are then made possible not otherwise so (example, the facing in a particular direction of a particular court relative its adjacent one to its right.

I trust this poll may also highlight where we are as a community :)

Kaz

i dont physically reverse cards in the deck, but i might read them as "reversed" depending what cards are influencing on it.
so i voted NO.

~kaz

Diana

I voted no.

I see all sorts of meanings in a card - reversed, accelerated, stalled, 1st gear all the way to 6th gear. Sometimes I even see that the engine needs a complete overhaul!

However, I do not physically turn my cards up-side-down.

wavebreaker

Kaz said:
i dont physically reverse cards in the deck, but i might read them as "reversed" depending what cards are influencing on it.
so i voted NO.
So do I. ;)

Pollux

I voted "NO but on certain occasions I do" :D *LOL*
In fact that's exatcly how it works for me.

When I shuffle, I make so that I don't reverse cards, but I am not 100% careful with it. Especially when cards jump out or when I am having troubles mixing cos I am tired and irritated, it may happen that I put a card back in the deck in reversed position. Anyway when I read I tend to consider both the extreems f the spectrum, and the room between them. The position of the card might simply STRESS I should look at the negative/blocked/alternative meaning for it coming from the reversal, but if the context goes in that direction i would have done so anyway... :p

violinlily

I voted "nopers" cause reversals make it more complicated (from my p.o.v.) to learn the meanings of the cards. If you bring this poll back in a year or so, I might answer differently. **:)**

Rhiannon

I had to vote Yes, but on rare occasions No. I used reversals all the time until recently when I decided to see if NOT using them made a big difference in my readings. I'd have to say at this point that either way works just fine, for me.

R :)

cjtarot

Just not with the Sacred Circle or Gendron

Hi,

I am a maybe..

what I find is with the Sacred Circle and Gendron (computer generated decks with real people), I cant do the reversals..I need to see what is in the face of the people in the cards clearly..

with my universal and other waite clones..I do use reversals because the actual card (suite and number) really determine the meaning..

Blessings and never loose the ability to reverse, you never know when the message of a reversed card is the key to the reading..

Cj

aeonx

I voted 'YES always.' Because I do. :)
Big thank you's to jmd for finally creating the poll on the topic that has been overwhelmingly discussed before. :*

~aeonx~

Bings

I voted No. I have only been reading tarot for about a year. For me, I knew it would be best to learn the upright meanings first and to be able to read them comfortably. I feel that I have recently reached that point and will start to focus on the reversals probably sometime after the holiday season.

I don't feel that it is an absolute must that I learn them in order to use them. But I do feel that it would make my learning of tarot more complete.

Dianne