Tarot of the Master (LS Vachetta) - 3 of Swords

alec

This is one of the more difficult pips in this deck. It looks nothing like the RWS 3 of swords, nor like the TdM type decks that came before. When I drew this, I almost decided to take another deck to study. But I am committed to working with this deck, and believe that the deck is worthy of study.

So here goes.

The card depicts three swords hanging with ribbons. Just above the swords on each end are ornaments resembling apple cores. These give a sense of love or beauty used up or spent.

The hilts of the swords on each end are animals. The left appears to be the head of a bird or an eagle. The right appears to be a lion. Together the powers of mind and passion are separated by the center sword. The ribbons entwined around all three swords add to the sense of being tied up and fixed in an unmoving pattern.

The middle sword is obviously ceremonial as can be seen by the ring on the bottom of the blade. The left sword appears dull with much decorative blade work. the right is probably ceremonial too, as can be seen by the shape on the end. Together this suggests appearance without substance or the suggestion of potential that could never actually be realized.

Note: The Il Meneghello version of the deck was used (and is highly recommended :))

Attachments

• Vachetta-Swords-03-500.jpg
    Vachetta-Swords-03-500.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 101