Fairy Tale (Hunt) 1 The Magician

DaisyDragonfly

This card shows a young boy opening a decorative box. From out of it swirls a multitude of stars and shining lights, coiling into a circus of enigmatic shapes. I can see what might be a serpent, a dragon... the boy looks enchanted, reaching out his hand to take what he wants from the box. What ever is within is green. It glows.

The box itself is gold and red; dragons adorn its sides, whorls and blooms decorate the lid. The boy has found a source of power, a source of magic. It’s up to him to reach inside and do what he wants - or needs - to do with it.

This is from a Chinese fairy tale called ‘The Thunder Dragon.’ Essentially, a strange visitor rides into the life of Wu, a young boy, and his family. The visitor asks for rest, which Wu grants him. The family share food and drink with the visitor, who rides away, promising ‘Wu, Son of Yin,’ that he will return.

Wu’s dad is pretty impressed that the visitor knew Wu’s name without being told. Wu points out that the visitor wore seamless clothes and that there were some scaly patches on the horse. From this, the family deduce that their visitors were spirits - Dragon Spirits. And having granted rest to these visitors, the family will now be given protection.

True enough. A great storm overcomes the village and all is destroyed except for Wu’s home. The visitor reappears and gives Wu a green scale, which the boy keeps in a wooden box. The Emperor hears of all this, summons Wu for a visit; Wu shows the scale and is promptly employed by the Emperor as court magician. Happy times for all follow.

It’s funny. I don’t normally associate the Magician with luck, but there’s an element of that to this story. Luck itself is writ large over the card: dragons are everywhere. But let’s look closer. Is it luck? Really? Without Wu’s close powers of observation, it’s entirely possible that the strange visitor would have been denied respite. In that case, the family wouldn’t have been protected, Wu wouldn’t have gotten his dragon scale and that cushy job with the Emperor. Wu applied his knowledge, used his own abilities and, as a result, earned his position.

What a confident young boy he was! He didn’t doubt his abilities but neither did he search for advancement. This is self-assurance, not arrogance. He did what came naturally to him, used his talents, put them out there. He didn’t doubt himself, think through his choices. This was him + his instinct + his qualities = success. There’s no point hiding light under a bushel. It won’t make anything happen.

The Magician. The first card of the trumps, the first step in the Fool’s journey. The Fool, who is a Tabula Rasa until he starts his journey. Here is burgeoning self-identity. The Magician is when you take stock. Who are you? What have you got to offer? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? What are you going to do about them? How are you going to apply them? You've only just set out and right now, all you have are your own resources.

Wu had a few resources. He's not boasting about them. He doesn't show them off. He doesn't trumpet them. He does the wisest thing of all: he uses them. Wearing a orange shirt - representing fire, wands, action, initiative - he understands the basic truth of the Magician card: every action is an opportunity, as long as you see it as such.

Which brings me back to luck. I think it was Jimmy Connors, the tennis player, who said: 'The more I practice, the luckier I get.' I reckon this wasn't the first time Wu used his powers of observation. He'll have been silently using it all of his life, reading weather patterns, reading people. Until came this moment ... the turning point. In the end he made his own luck, as we all do.

Every action is an opportunity; and every action is preparation. You don't know when that moment will come in your life, so know who you are, look honestly at yourself, develop your strengths and practice your weaknesses and be prepared. Opportunity, when it comes, will always be disguised.

DragonFae

This card unlike the 0 Card feels "magical" so if Little Red represents each of us on the journey or quest through life (the actual physical person in a sense, with all their insecurities and foolish ways) than this card: The Magician represents "inner magic". That part of each of us that simply "knows" what to do, what to say, what is needed.

Wu while unaware of the true nature of the situation on a conscious level, understands it perfectly subconsciously. The dragon is that part of life that can "bite you in the butt" if you act or react without understand the core of the issue. Since the keywords are "directing energy" and "focus" I think it is highlighting the "power" that each of us have inside ourselves and speaking to the need to allow these to emerge in our lives.

The symbolism of the golden box says it best..."the key to accessing hidden powers." So in that sense the card is about possiblities. Opprtunities, yes but also the real possiblity of growth on a deeper level. So external opportunities but even more importantly inner possibilities. In a way the dragon represents that inner aspect of Wu himself, it is released in his life and has the power to transform his life....IF he recognizes it and "welcomes" it.

To me the Fairy tale lesson would be something like ..."There is a dragon inside each of us, welcome it and your life will be transformed."

Surja76

Hi DaisyDragonfly. So nice description.

I have association with PANDORA BOX with this card. Pandora box is the symbol of opening a secret knowledge.
Obsessive with the thirst for knowledge, yielding the usual curiosity, we go over the brink, which, sometimes, we do not know, and we do not know what will be the end, result of our discovery!!

Will it be for good or for worth? Will you be able to cope with the forces that you put on freedom?

This boy is look like Aladdin who gives his Gin be free. but he did not know before will be this action for good for him or not. He had a risk.

Due to different legends Pandora box consisted of all evil gathered together in the only box. Due to other legend this box was fulfilled with all best benefactors which were lost for people when box was opened and only only a hope in the comfort of mankind remained on the bottom of the box.

Magician card is the card of 21 century, the card of new discovery.
There are many young scientists who open before us new new perspectives, for example to fly to stars. Old people only could dream about it.

But, when you take a manual to the tube of pills you will find that among good features that can help you to be recovered from illness, there are a lot of other side effects. If you make better one organ of your body, using these pills you can harm another one.

The greatest magician of the 20th century, Einstein, presented to the world the theory of nuclear reactions. It helped to make many technological processes faster, and our electricity chipper. But Einstein himself called his invention like the BIGGEST CURSE for people, because he knew, using this nuclear reaction in military needs we can make nuclear bomb is able to kill millions people.

Pandora's box can be seen as a repository of all the evils of civilization, which is traditionally defined as a «Prometheus Fire», since its existence was initiated by his gifts to mankind: fire, crafts, etc. This image embodies the idea that technological progress will result in an irreversible and often adverse changes in the way of human, a symbol of careless and improvident use of natural forces and the achievements of civilization.

this is my fairy tale. :)

DaisyDragonfly

All great additional descriptions!

Surja, like you I immediately thought of Pandora's Box when I saw the image. There is an element of that: when you start something, you never know how it's going to finish. All you can do is experience it. Learn from it. I talk about luck in my original description, and at first didn't see what luck had to do with the Magician... but then I remember that the Wheel of Fortune (10) is linked to The Magician (1). The wise magician knows that the wheel of fortune is always turning, regardless of the magic at his hand. He can't control events, but he can control himself. To do that, he has to know himself.

Dragonfae: I like your fairy tale! There is a dragon inside all of us - we all have power. But the first step to using it is recognising it. And then, of course, having the courage to let it out (more Pandora's Box stuff!). Wu gives us an image of what can happen if you go with your instincts and have faith in your abilities. His story should give us strength with things aren't going our way; no matter what, have faith in who you are. I think that's a pretty good fairy tale, too.

At first I wasn't sure whether I liked the choice of this image and this story for the Magician card. But the more I think about it - and the more you guys chime in - the more I like it. :D

Looking forward to more discussion and more cards appearing in our study group!

Genna

I agree with DragonFae that the card really looks magical. And there is the child magician with the powers of magic at his fingertips. I really like the thought of a child magician, because a child has all the posibilities of a new lifetime, and is still near to the magical reality. The card is important to me, as The Magician is my Soul Card.
I´ve read all the posts with great interest and am looking forward to exploring this deck with you.

Surja76

DaisyDragonfly said:
All great additional descriptions!

but then I remember that the Wheel of Fortune (10) is linked to The Magician (1). The wise magician knows that the wheel of fortune is always turning, regardless of the magic at his hand. He can't control events, but he can control himself. To do that, he has to know himself.

Yes you are right. But there are the Strength 11 and the World 21 Arcanum like hidden ones, because their last number is 1, belong to the Magician.

It is ability of Magician 1 to use and control his hidden forces (the Strength 11) in order to finish (the World 21) everything he began.

Wheel of fortune inside consists of his two Dragons. Yes you are right, they are In-Yang joined together they make black - white wheel.
In order to control these dragons we made free we should have forces to keep them. yes, if we can not control the situation ourselves we should only protect if only ourselves from us.
Wheel is not only mixture of woman - man forces making the wheel turned round, but it is also mind and feeling, day and night, our UPS and DOWNS.

The main purpose of Magician is not to escape the path he chose, not to be upset and disappointed in the middle of the way, he need forces (the Strength 11) to stand up after his defeat and go ahead. He should follow his business from the beginning (Magician 1) to its finish (the World 21).
Wheel not only turning around but also goes ahead.

So that magician 1 uses tools - all 1st minor arcanum - Ace of coins, Ace of wands, Ace of swords and Ace of cups.

1. Ace of coins - it is his magical box. Treasures he has got. His practical skills.

1. Ace of sword is his sharp mind to know how to deal with these new knowledge and forces.

1. Ace of wands - it is his consciousness of what he was doing, and what this all will lead. He should have clear mind and be responsible for the result.

1. Ace of cups - it means that he should know that the box (cups of miracles) is his resources he should spend carefully.
Ace of cups is deep but not bottomless.
if you take something not giving to its back the cups can be empty very soon.

It is look like ancient tribes sacrificed animals to spirits in order to cause rain.
In modern times pharmacists test different products on animals, which then will help people.

DaisyDragonfly

Surja76 said:
Yes you are right. But there are the Strength 11 and the World 21 Arcanum like hidden ones, because their last number is 1, belong to the Magician.

Oh, that's interesting. I've never come across that before. For me, Strength falls more naturally into the position of Trump VIII (in my personal understanding of the Fool's Journey)...

It is ability of Magician 1 to use and control his hidden forces (the Strength 11) in order to finish (the World 21) everything he began.

But I like this explanation. It would work equally well with Justice given in position XI though, wouldn't it? The Magician has to adapt so that he works with the law (action and consequence) (Justice XI) in order to finish (the World XXI) everything he began?

Hmmm. I'm talking myself out of my original position though. Strength is a significant underlying concept to the Magician. It takes a huge amount of it to take the first step, the hardest step of all. Knowing thyself is difficult. It takes strength to face who we really are. I'm also thinking - vaguely - of a quote from Nelson Mandela, which is along the lines of how we are afraid of the power we hold inside ourselves (I'll have to go and find it). It takes strength to acknowledge the power we have, and strength to let ourselves impact the world.

I know these are generic 'Magician' comments but though this is a themed deck, these generic understandings apply, right?

The main purpose of Magician is not to escape the path he chose, not to be upset and disappointed in the middle of the way, he need forces (the Strength 11) to stand up after his defeat and go ahead. He should follow his business from the beginning (Magician 1) to its finish (the World 21).

I agree. I think its important to remember the early stages of this card, too.
And I'm going to point up at Genna's post, because the fact that the Magician is a child in this card is a good reminder of something: this is the Magician, the Fool's first step. He's all exuberance, excitement, energy; he's learning who he is and he's excited to use his magic to bring about change. He's going to learn - and go through some painful lessons on the way - but at this point, the Fool is learning what it's like to have power. And having it, choosing what to do with it.

EDITED TO ADD: Ah, found Nelson Mandela's quote. Here it is:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

Surja76

DaisyDragonfly said:
But I like this explanation. It would work equally well with Justice given in position XI though, wouldn't it? The Magician has to adapt so that he works with the law (action and consequence) (Justice XI) in order to finish (the World XXI) everything he began?

yes you are completely reasonable.
If we describe cards so deep with you, we can remind also the "system of two walls".

If we place the Strength on the 11 place of Justice we are talking about moral aspect of strength and our forces. About energy and magnanimity.
Wheel of fortune (10) + Strength (11) + hanged man (12).
Something should be sacrificed in order to reach something.

If the Strength is 8
The Chariot (7) + the Strength (8) + hermit (9)
It means that our new ideas can be checked by the needs of society. Our new forces, push (the Chariot) can cost the friendship with other people (the Strength gives not only join but and phisical break, we should adjust our forces), our thoughts can not reach consciousness of others (if we place justice like 8 = we should weigh on scales what is good and what is bad, what is more or less important for us in this life), other case we do not meet the approval of the masses.
Hermit would require reassessment of our values and change our point of view. We can stay alone with our ideas.

The same as to Justice if it is 11.

Wheel of fortune (10) + Justice (11) + hanged man (12)

It means if Magician (1) can really imagine his result, purpose and way he is going (the world 21), Justice will show him that his sacrifice (hanged man) is NOT in vain.

the true is (Justice) he will reach his purposes (the world).

keeks

1: The Magician
An initial description:
A small boy in an orange tunic is looking at a decorated box. The box is ornately decorated- a flower in a circle on the lid, with eyeballs and ornate swirls on the sides. Inside is a green glob and it's emitting light and a rainbow turns into a snake-like dragon behind as well as another beside him. There are a few more in the smoke behind him. The box is sitting on a brown table. His head is crowned with a glowing smoke wreath of laurels.

Preliminary meanings:
The innocent's curiosity has led him to open the box, releasing the dragons and the magical light. The crown of laurels signifies that he was fated to do so; he is a winner. The eye on the box symbolizes knowledge and is similar to that of the fabled illuminati. He appears to be chinese; dragons are important to the chinese and are revered as ancestors and wise. Behind him in the smoke are many many dragons, watching him. His hand is hesitantly outstretched towards the glowing green glob, signifying growth (as the fool is foolhardy and always ready to take a chance).

The basic fairy tale from once upon a fairy tale:
Wu and his family are visited by spirits. Grandmother says there will be a storm and they will be spared. The dragon protects them and gives Wu a scale that he puts in a box. He becomes the Emperor's palace magician/advisor.

personal significance:
The boy heeds the spirit world and its call, which grants him a great gift and power. Likewise, if we heed the call of life and the path we should be on, we will end up in a better place.

book symbolism, etc:
The box is key to hidden mental powers- dragon is knowledge, guide, and teacher. The light is cosmic energy. You can tap into inner resources and should listen to your heart.

variations of Wu and the Thunder Dragon:
I could not find any similar tales to "Thunder Dragon." Instead I looked up the symbolism/mythology of dragons and dragon scales:
- Bhutense: Druk, the thunder dragon, is their national symbol.
- Vietnamese: Important to agriculture/rain, prosperity and yang.
- Japanese/China: Symbols of luck, good, buddha, and protection. Protects the East, Spring, Wood and Yang. Enemy is the Phoenix. There are 5 types: Celestial, spiritual, imperial, earth and treasure-guarding. Dragons produce rain.
- Tale of Urashima: Man marries dragon king's daughter. 1 day there is the equivalent of 300 human years. He opens up the magical box his wife gave him and loses his youth, dying.
- Dragons are universally seen in the East as being just, benevolent, and bringing wealth/good fortune.

Traditional meanings of the magician (From Gray's book):
Will is in unison with the divine (or subconscious and conscious) to bring things into manifestation. Power.

Parallels:
The power. Wu was given knowledge; the rider gets it through the elements. Both are focusing on tapping into inner reaches. Similarities in artwork are the tables, robust colors (red and orange), serpent-like creatures, youths, and elaborate trappings.

The fool (From Journey of the hero):
Traditionally this card pairs with the High Priestess to form the heavenly parents. The magician is the archetypal masculine in the world of ideas. This is the path of the search of knowledge that explores nature to understand and rule it. The table represents earth while his hands symbolize the connection of two worlds. It represents intelligence and skill as well as will and power to master the tasks given in order to become whole. The archetype is that of the creator/master.

Related to the fairy tale tarot version of Magician:
The boy is looking at the key to knowledge- by respecting the dragon he has heeded the call of the spirit world and become the master of his own destiny.

Meditation/writing jump off:
I paused hesitantly before lifting the lid of the heavily decorated box. Would it contain knowledge, or all the evils in the world, like Pandora's? I gasped at the sight of the large green scale and shielded my eyes from it's glow. This was the gift of a great dragon, and within it was the knowledge of the ancients. I smiled as a dragon of light encircled me, and I felt lucky.