Dame Fortune's Wheel - Eight of Swords

sapienza

This card has the orange border of all Swords cards, but the background, or sky, is jet black. In the foreground an elderly man/king sits on a chair/throne. He is slouched with his head bowed slightly, and he has one arm outstreched with his finger pointing ahead of him. Beside him eight swords are standing with their blades in the ground.

Huson's keyword here is 'criticism' and he suggests that upright the card implies opposition and reversed treachery. Etteilla's upright meanings also suggest a difficult situation, disaproval and condemnation. Also a critical moment, or a decisive moment.

This card does have a reasonably negative feel about it. The dark sky, the posture of our king, possibly passing his judgement. In a reading, I'd be keen to see what card falls to the right of this one, to see what it is he is pointing at, and therefore perhaps condemming. Perhaps he could also represent that aspect of ourselves that is critical of others, or judemental of others, especially if we are feeling jaded, or fed up with things. It's easy to remain in our comfort zones and pass judgement on others. Or of course it could be that we are being criticised or judged. It's interesting the way the swords loom high above him, almost causing him to be stooped the way he is. Perhaps our own trials have worn us down and so we've lost the ability to see the best in others or in ourselves.

Intersting card....I really like the way Huson has portrayed Etteilla's meanings and as always, there are so many layers of possible interpretation.

Bernice

I usually associate 8s with some form of judgment and reliability/responsibility (it's a personal thing - so ignore me if it conflicts).

I wonder of the King is 'bowed' down by the weight of having to make a judgment? It's a rather 'weighty' image visually, and the king could be pointing out what must (or should) be done.......

Etteilla's meaning of "critical and decisive" also fits with my thoughts about this card.

EDIT: ...thinking. It could - I suppose - indicate that any decision made at this point in the circumstances (or whatever) should be made with careful consideration, not be made lightly.

Bee :)

Moonbow

This scene has quite negative undertones which in some ways limits the card interpretation. The King is making a necessary decision one which he appears to have regrets about. Etteilla has quite a few keywords for this card most of which are on the negative side such as critical, regrettable, unfortunate, condemnation (to name a few). There's a sense of honesty about the card.