TotOP - IX - The Wise One

Two of Wands

A Look at the Wise

We see an old man standing in a cold and snowy mountainous landscape. He wears earth colours: a brown cassock and a green gown. Around his neck, he wears an anchor-shaped pendant. He holds a tall staff with a lantern hooked at the top. Nestled under his elbow is a red book. Some ancient Celtic, Hebrew, Buddhist, Wiccan or even Christian book perhaps. Or maybe a book of spells, possibly a journal, maybe just his favourite book of fiction.

What gives this image a magical quality is that where he opens his cloak the wintry elements are defied. A fire burns*, the snow melts and, in its place, grass grows, a stream flows, clover sprouts, a butterfly flies, and a rabbit leaps up at his staff, down by his bare feet. How old he may be is not quite clear. He has white/grey hair with a thick beard, but he is hooded by his clock and it is hard to define.

Reflection

This appears to me to be a man who has learnt a few tricks in his time! He has experienced life, both its joys and its hardships, and he’s learnt a lot along the way. He has learnt to face things, get on with them and not complain. This is symbolised by his bare feet in the cold elements. Trivial things no longer phase him; he has mastered the art of ignoring life’s irritations. He is knowledgeable and has learnt a great deal, which is symbolised by the book. He may be a guide for others if they seek him out, symbolised by the lantern (guide) and the rabbit (seeker).

He knows how to survive and work with nature in order to make it work for him. He shows a mastery of the elements: within the confines of his cloak are the four elements at play: melting snow and stream: water, butterfly: air, flame: fire*, clover: earth.

Habitually, he has withdrawn from society, and spirited himself away into the mountains; he is not a threat to anyone and lives in peace within the landscape and hand-in-hand with nature.

* Fiery Comparison

It is interesting to note the flame in this card and compare it to others with a similar image within the deck. Take out The Fool and The Magician, and place them along side The Hermit. Each depicts a similar sized flame. This could be useful in exploring and defining The Fool’s Journey. It could read as follows: the innocent, curious, and naïve Fool is drawn towards the excitement of the flames without knowing its dangers or learning to respect its power. The Magician experiments and plays with fire, enjoying the superficial mastery he has developed over it. The Wise One does not play or experiment with it; he knows its dangers and he respects it. He uses it for practical purposes: to keep warm in the cold climate he has chosen to reside in. He relies upon its uses, but no longer tempts or abuses it.

His Place in the Deck

It occurs to me that The Hermit is the last of the “human” characters, although we do have The Lone (Hanged) Man to come. He is the old man who has tried the different paths we see the Fool setting out on. He’s learnt a few tricks of the trade from the Magician. He has benefited from the wisdom and guidance of the High Priest and Priestess, grown under the parentage and leadership of the Empress and Emperor, gone on to lead others, mastered his control of the elements and nurtured and developed his many strengths. He is now living out the end of his days in seclusion. Unlike the High Priest, he does not seek to preach, and may not even welcome company, or those seeking advice, gladly. Shown the right respect however, he may open your mind to new ways of thinking and set you upon a path where you can find the answers for yourself. He’s out of the game, but others would do well to seek and feed off what knowledge or guidance he is prepared to give before it’s too late!

Defining this “One”

There are three main types of Hermit:

1. The Retreat: The Hermit who withdraws to seek solitude, and get in touch with his inner self or a higher plane of reasoning. This Hermit probably intends to return to society in good time, refreshed and enlightened by their time away. This Hermit is unlikely to want to be disturbed during their time in solitude and will not want to be dispensing advice to others.

2. The Embittered One: The Hermit who is so hurt or disillusioned by society that they shut themselves away from it completely. This Hermit would be the hardest to penetrate, and indeed they may be so embittered that there is nothing left to learn from them.

3. The Retired One: The Hermit who takes himself/herself away and chooses to end their days alone. This Hermit still retains wisdom and experience and may well be willing to share these with those who come looking, and are prepared to open their mind to what they might have to say.

The Wise One in this card fits more with the third type of Hermit, which is suggested by the name ‘Wise One’. Notice also that while an old man is depicted on the card, the Wise One could just as easily be a woman, and the none defining term ‘one’ has definitely been used for this very purpose.

Meanings

The good side of The Wise One suggests to me someone who has mastered the art of being alone, someone who enjoys society and the company of others but can be equally self sufficient, relaxed and entertained in their own company.

The bad side of The Wise One suggests to me loneliness, bitterness, shyness, lack of self esteem, laziness and possible emotional loss.

Ending by the Book!

Finally, I want to quote directly from The Old Path book. I make sure that I do not refer to the book before I have taken all I can from the card, it just helps me approach it with an open mind, hence, the above was written before I read this:

“This is an expression of one who is following the path that leads to a higher consciousness and the perfection of the soul. He walks alone, away from the material world, where he can lead a basic existence in solitude. Thus he may find the truth in the revelations of his psyche.

He is so far advanced along the way that most find him difficult to comprehend. However, he is willing to light the path for those who sincerely follow his guidance.”

DarkElectric

This is one of the best, most in depth examinations of this card which I have seen. Bravo, Two, I now desire this beautiful deck all the more :)

Two of Wands

The Hermit, the Myth, and Ourselves

The Hermit card, in general, tends to be an attractive mystical card. I think it appeals to that part of us, especially Tarot lovers, that wants to believe in myths and legends. It’s that archi-type character that always causes so much fascination, but we learn so little about, in myth, literature, and film. I think the idea of this mysterious hidden away old figure who will advise, heal, or help if we seek them out is very attractive.

So who is the Hermit to us? On the card’s surface level, ideas that spring to mind are: a retired teacher, and old person living alone, an unmarried preacher, an elderly family member such as your grandfather, etcetera. All solitary figures, removed from the daily routines of life but who still has a lot to offer.

When are we the Hermit? The card can definitely represent an attitude or period in our lives, some positive others negative. Here are a few that have turned up when I’ve read with this card:

Positive:

1. A time when we devote ourselves to study.
2. A time when we seek time alone to pursue things on our own.
3. A time when we take a step back and let things take their natural course.
4. A time when we help someone achieve something, with no gain to ourselves.

All these can become extremely negative aspects if we remain in them for too long, but most people will need times like these in order to succeed in tasks and aspirations, and to simply take stock of their lives.

Negative:

1. A time of laziness where we can’t be bothered to live outside of our own cut off little world of TV, PC games, sleep, etcetera.
2. A time of loneliness and withdrawal, where we do the above not through laziness, but an inability to face things.
3. A time of bitterness, great hurt or heartache that has made us reject others.
4. A time in our lives where we are simply left to look after things on our own, a time when through no fault of our own, a lot of people have let us down in succession, and suddenly we’re left feeling very isolated and without support.

I think with these things in mind, it’s an important card to look out for, and read correctly because it could be giving vital advice in highlighting a period where you need to take a step back and spend time with and for yourself, or highlighting a need to integrate into society more, and strengthen/create friendship/family ties.

Finally, lets face it, for good and for bad, all us Tarotholics become The Hermit from time to time, when we go Tarot obsessive every-so-often and shut ourselves away for hours on end just studying the cards, reading up and doing spreads just for the sake of using the cards! Oh is that just me J

Moongold

What gives this image a magical quality is that where he opens his cloak the wintry elements are defied. A fire burns*, the snow melts and, in its place, grass grows, a stream flows, clover sprouts, a butterfly flies, and a rabbit leaps up at his staff, down by his bare feet. How old he may be is not quite clear. He has white/grey hair with a thick beard, but he is hooded by his clock and it is hard to define.

Isn't this the most exquiste image? The riches we discover when we look within. I don't know any other Hermit card which explains this in quite the same way.

It is my Hermit year and I'm finding it a very rich one. It is painful and risky to venture on the journey of self discovery, to go into the cold or into the desert. This card has such a message of challenge and hope. The Wise One is a very rich image and reinforces the quite special characteristics and content of this deck.

The Qabalistic associations are not so evident in this card. However, the Hermit is on the 20th Path of the Tree of Life between Chesed, the sphere of Mercy and Tiphareth the sphere of Beauty.

On the 20th path we make a decision to look within and in so doing find wisdom and union with the Divine. The Divine is within.

Two of Wands, I agree with Dark that you have given us a beautiful explanation of the Wise One. Thank you.

Silverlotus

A wonderful description of this card, Two of Wands! I don't have much to add to this card.

Astrological Influence - Virgo
Element - Earth
Month - August, September
Contributor - Kim Tracey

At first I didn't see very much symbolism in this card. An old man, the elements, a bunny, the light, a book. Same old stuff. But, again, with a closer look, things began to come together.

The Wise One gives the feeling of a learned man, even if one ignores the title. He looks to have travelled far, and to still be travelling, in search of knowledge. I see his book as containing everything he has learned, and everything he wants to learn. He is a solid figure, a good representation of Earth. I see this reflected in the colours of his cloak and in his robe. I also see this in the anchor around his neck.

The rabbit gives me a bit of trouble. The book says it represents "...one inexperienced in life and wishing to learn." However, for me it brings to mind the moon. This is because I am more then a little influenced by my boyfriend's Chinese heritage. The Chinese goddess Chang-O lives on the moon with a white rabbit. I'm actually working on a very large cross stitch picture of her right now, which features a brown rabbit similar to the one in this card. This association changes the meaning of the card for me slightly. The Wise One is Earth and the bunny is the Moon. Two forces coming together to learn from each other. I'm not sure I can give it more words then that, as it is something I am still trying to work out for myself.

The book says that the stream divides into ten, to represent the ten planets. Another interesting pointer to coming together of the Earth and the planets.

The plant in this card is the trefoil clover. I looked very closely and none of them appear to have four leaves. :) The clover represents "divine knowledge gained by hard endeavour." A very appropriate plant for this card.

So, as my post grows ever longer, what does the Wise One mean to me? I see the High Priest and High Priestess as cards that representing the gaining of knowledge. One through traditional was, the other through occult or hidden ways. The Wise One is gaining knowledge by examining the world around us. He takes time out and observes the world, and tries to discover how everything fits together. I guess he isn't so much about gain knowledge, but more about digesting and sharing what you know.