Mending from a Tarot "crisis of faith"

Owl Song

Just to clarify a bit on my original post...

I have never used Tarot with the belief that it would tell me the future. Rather than predictive reading, I have always approached Tarot with the idea that it might offer me a projection. Projections can change as variables and circumstances change. Future outcomes are fluid.

I have a meta-awareness that my "crisis of faith" (and I'm using this term very, very loosely) isn't even rational or in line with my view on Tarot. So for me to feel let down or disappointed by something I don't even believe Tarot would do -- is a bit batty. I recognize that wholeheartedly.

Nevertheless, the feelings were there. Feelings are such pesky things, aren't they?

I am coming out of my funk and regaining clarity day by day.

It's been very helpful reading all of these responses. Thank you for helping me to gain perspective -- and I hope my experience might help somebody else down the line, too, if others have gone through or are going through the same thing.

Owl Song

When I went through this a few times they were for varying reasons. I found I'd pick them back up when I was ready. Once it was from just plain being too busy in my 20's, and much later, when I nearly ruined tarot for myself due to self-imposed intense study. I've also taken a few breaks from it here and there.

I think in many ways taking breaks helped my perspective. What tarot can and can't do. How important free will is. Other stuff. Taking a break can be refreshing, just like a vacation from real life. :)

Absolutely. As the fog is clearing, I'm feeling better and better as I get back into the saddle again.

In hindsight, I think I needed this.

Owl Song

Owl Songs, had there been any chance that tarot could have warned you or prepared you for what was about to happen? Did it really let you down, did you get muddy or incorrect readings? Let me ask differently: Did you ask about the political situation specifically? Because how could tarot have warned you or made you aware of this in readings about you and your personal environment?
Please don't give up tarot or your spiritual endeavours. I think what your country needs now is people who stay true to themselves no matter what political direction one follows.

I have gone through phases when I was in a "believer crisis" as well although for very different reasons from you. I was simply not ready and had a lot of learning to do to fit tarot and its messages in my worldview

Magrataya, I'm definitely not giving up on Tarot. Actually, within the past 48 hours, I've really begun to get my "sea legs" back and it's feeling very good. This thread has helped.

I did ask about the political climate specifically. But I can't -- you're right -- fault Tarot for a very complex question in an extremely complicated time. And I've known that, on some level, since last summer. One of the reasons I stopped reading after that final summer read was that I felt the situation WAS so complex. I realize my feelings about being let down were irrational. Even so, there's a rebuilding process and it has taken me many months to find my way back to Tarot.

I think it will impact my reading going forward in a good way and it has reminded me how important intention and expectations are, as well as how cleansing it can be to take a step back.

Thanks again for your support. :)

Owl Song

Over many years of tarot use, I gradually lost confidence in predictive readings and in predictive fortune telling in general. My reasons for this are rooted both in experience and in a logical analysis of space-time. However, this does not diminish the value of tarot as a map of the psyche, among other things. I have steadily become more fascinated by its universality.

Yes. In my saner moments I am very much a rationalist in my approach to Tarot. Although I do like to believe there is a sprinkle of wonder and magic involved, too. ;)

Tarot is an amazing tool for self-discovery and it's good to be getting re-acquainted with it again.

Barleywine

Yes. In my saner moments I am very much a rationalist in my approach to Tarot. Although I do like to believe there is a sprinkle of wonder and magic involved, too. ;)

My belief is that what we experience as magic and miracle may just be physics we haven't figured out how to measure yet. But of all the more philosophical (as opposed to dogma-based) religions, I relate most strongly to pantheism. On the other hand, at the rate cybernetics is exploding, "the one true God" is someday going to be an algorithmic imminence instead of a mystical one.

KristinCali

@Owl Song, I was so happy to read your post just because I am going through something exactly like you experienced. In fact I made a post about it here http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=268715, if you care to read my story and why my feelings about tarot were shaken as well. I'm happy you're reading again. xoxo

Ebony

I actually stopped reading tarot cards and doing other activities maybe 8 years ago because of a crisis of faith. Both myself and someone else read my future, and the next week things took a devastating turn that was not what either of us saw. It was a serious blow. It wasn't like what either of us saw was good, in fact, it was pretty depressing, but the unexpected thing that occurred the next week was even worse than the forecast! I suspect that us looking at the future actually probably changed it because it changed my attitude, which may have inadvertently lead to me making a misstep that had huge, unexpected ramifications. I now just take prophecy to be for entertainment purposes only, but believe me, I am not at all entertained by the prophecies I have become aware of (not intentionally discovered).

I am just now returning to tarot because I do miss the insight it provides. It is great for self-development and occasionally it really can get through to other people and help them help themselves as well. (I would say this is a mixed bag as a lot of people take it more as entertainment instead of anything serious, or they only are open to what they want to hear and ignore everything else. This certainly makes reading for others less enjoyable. I recall doing a reading for someone years ago that informed her that a guy she was involved with was bad news. She acknowledged that she understood that it was probably true, but she still stayed with him because he was so charismatic. Later, when things went bad with him she committed suicide. You can give the best advice in the world but at the end of the day if someone doesn't want to follow it or even acknowledge it then there isn't anything you can really do. That's up to them.) I guess we just have to enjoy the pros and accept the cons/limits of reading tarot cards, as with everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Owl Song

KristinCali, I will check out your thread. Thank you for chiming in.

Ebony, it's so true about hoping querents will get some benefit out of readings we do for them. It's difficult watching people spiral down an unhealthy path. Good point, too, about accepting the pros and cons of reading, both for ourselves and others. Thank you. :)