Thoth card quality question

WonderGuy

hey, not sure if this belongs here. i just received my Thoth deck in the mail today. standard size. AGM blue box, printed in Belgium. they are a lot more laminated and a lot thinner than i expected. is there another version out there that is not as laminated and thicker? thanks for any help.
Cy

Abrac

The Thoth card stock keeps getting thinner it seems to me. The older ones from the 70s & 80s have sturdier stock but they're still laminated. The colors are different too; they have a green cast. "Greenies" are a gamble; I like the look of some of them but others didn't seem to turn out so well. :laugh:

Some of the very early editions are unlaminated but the colors on them are even worse and the stock is more like thick paper than card stock. These are more collectible than for everyday use I would say.

There may be an unlaminated version with decent stock and colors but I'm not aware of it. :)

Le Fanu

I was very surprised when I read that the US Games green box (not greenie) and the AG Muller Blue Box decks were the same deck, different boxes. I had (and have) a green box which I love very much. I bought an AG Muller one to trim and was surprised at the difference in cardstock. Both were the same size and there was a noticable difference in thickness. I think that there are varying degrees of thickness, not huge differences, but enough for obsessives like us to notice it :D

Lamination I haven't noticed. I think it is very light and "just right" on the copies I have (and I have a quite a few). AG Muller cardstock and lamination is, overall, very good. My older Weiser A has very thick cardstock but, like Abrac says, the image reproduction is not so good.

strings of life

I've read a lot about the variations in card stock.

I have the US Games Green box (not a "Greenie"), like you ^ and, I have been tossing around the idea of selling/trading it to get a smaller standard version since these cards are large to shuffle. But, since it isn't laminated and the card stock is perfect and silky, perhaps I should keep it; I may regret giving it up later on. I'm yet to study and use it.

WonderGuy

thanks for the info, i may have been using the term "lamination" wrong, they are very very slick! lol!

Myrrha

aurarcana said:
I've read a lot about the variations in card stock.

I have the US Games Green box (not a "Greenie"), like you ^ and, I have been tossing around the idea of selling/trading it to get a smaller standard version since these cards are large to shuffle. But, since it isn't laminated and the card stock is perfect and silky, perhaps I should keep it; I may regret giving it up later on. I'm yet to study and use it.

If you think you might want to study the Thoth at some point then holding on to the larger deck would be a good idea. It really does make a difference for noticing small details.

I shuffle the large Thoth by dealing it out into several piles and then dealing each pile onto the remaining ones.

missy

Le Fanu said:
I was very surprised when I read that the US Games green box (not greenie) and the AG Muller Blue Box decks were the same deck, different boxes. I had (and have) a green box which I love very much. I bought an AG Muller one to trim and was surprised at the difference in cardstock. Both were the same size and there was a noticable difference in thickness. I think that there are varying degrees of thickness, not huge differences, but enough for obsessives like us to notice it :D

Lamination I haven't noticed. I think it is very light and "just right" on the copies I have (and I have a quite a few). AG Muller cardstock and lamination is, overall, very good. My older Weiser A has very thick cardstock but, like Abrac says, the image reproduction is not so good.

Le Fanu, (or anyone who has these two)

Are you saying the AG Muller Blue Box card stock is thicker than the US Games green box? Or are you saying the US Games green box is thicker than the AG Muller Blue Box?

I know technically they are supposed to be the same, but it appears that may not be the case from the OP's post. I have looked at tarotgarden's versions of Thoth here and while there appears to be no difference, both the OP and Le Fanu noticed a difference.

Which was thicker, and which card stock did you prefer?

Thanks. :D

Lillie

I have two greenies.
One early, one late.

There is a significant difference between the thickness of the card stock and the lamination.

So I think these things just change over time.

nisaba

While we're discussing the different versions, do they hav e the same or similar back designs, or are they all different?

missy

nisaba said:
While we're discussing the different versions, do they hav e the same or similar back designs, or are they all different?

According to this from Tarot Garden, under the Card Borders/Face/Back column, they list some differences, though I don't see a card back image. Per Aeclectic here, "The card back shows a stylised Rosicrucian Cross, and is not reversible (the Thoth deck not being intended to be reversed)." But I don't know if that is the only back. The Cross back is here. Tarot Garden discusses versions of the back with "no border strip on the card backs" versus "Card backs exhibit a thin whitish-gray border strip at the edges." Another site that discusses the card backs is here.

I'm sure someone more familiar with the Thoth than I am will chime in.