ADEPT LEVEL Step 8; 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card

Jewel

21 Ways - Adept Level Step 8

DECK: Fantastic Menagerie
CARD: The Moon

Since I switched cards between the apprentice and adept levels I did re-do the apprentice level step 8:2 with the Moon, but I will not post that here. So moving on:

ACTIVITY 8:3.1 - Going back to the 5 of pentacle metaphors:

(1) How do the starred items reflect my usual attitudes, habits and cultural conditioning?

In the apprentice level Activity 8:1.2, I starred the following items on my list:
- Loss of money
- Feeling like an outsider, low self worth; and
- Difficulty in obtaining financial security

Attitudewise, I think it reflects a sense of feeling like an outsider, and that in turn impacts my self esteem, which leads me to feel sorry for myself some times and to have feelings of hoplessness, that I cannot do anything about it. A real defeatest attitude.

But I think the greater meaning of this card, for me, comes from the cultural/social norms. Those of worth being identified or associated with financial success, and this determining their worth within society. Those with less are viewed as having less worth. The syndrome of the "haves" and "have nots."

As for habits, the only thing I relate it to is the constant state of trying to achieve a feeling of security and always feeling like I am falling short of the mark. Sort of like one step forward, one step back. Just as I feel I am getting there, another financial set-back is right there. Buy a new fridge, and the dryer goes out. Buy a new dryer, the water heater dies. Buy a new water heater, and a pipe breaks in the house, and so on and so forth. There seems to be no way to get ahead.

(2) How can one of the deleted metaphors relate to the card?

Deleted Metaphor: "de-stabilization of health and fitness."
When one lets themselves go physically, health and emotional consequences usually follow. There is a loss of self-esteem and a sense of futility. This is then projected through attitude, which continues the downward spiral into depression and hoplessness. All self inflicted and by choice. So in essence this card warns of these attitudes so we can snap out of them and get things going back in the right direction by taking control of our physical self.

(3) Relating the description in 1st person: When I let myself go physically, I sufer health and emotional consequences. I loose my self-esteem, beat myself up, and feel that everything I try is futile. Then I project this frustration in my daily attitude about all things, which makes me continue to fall in a downward spiral into hoplessness and depression. All self created and self inflicted. So in essence this card wands me of these attitudes so I can snap out of it, and break the cycle to get things going in the right direction by taking control of my physical self.

(4) Considering the card I am working with, The Moon:

Which metaphors suprise and delight me?
- the deception of night
- seduced by moon light
- secret rondezvous
- under the cover of darkness
- a shroud of mystery
- howling at the moon
- in the stillness of the night

Which do I find fresh and intriguing?
- the magic of the night
- the moon plays tricks on your senses
- everything is beautiful by moon light
- a full moon lights the roads we travel at night
- moon madness

Which depict an improvement in circumstances?
- the magic of the night
- everything is beautiful by moon light

Which challenge you to become a better person?
- howling at the moon
- the many faces of the moon
- the illusion of security

Which ask me to do something I've never done before? none of them.

Which metaphors share something in common with my goals?
- a full moon lights the roads we travel
- howling at the moon
- the many faces of the moon
- the magic of the night

Working with this card on this exercise put me in a strange mental place *LOL*. The card is shrouded with mystery and discovery. Quite amazing and deep. One thing I did not mention in any metaphor during the exercise, but see in retrospect is that the card is also about longing.

dadsnook2000

For Jewel

It seems that you have really defined this card's place in your tarot-mind. Enjoyed reading your post and have gained a few things to think about -- I had not seen the Moon (for me) as being able to lead to depression and the string of followup steps that could result. Since I don't see the glass as half full or half empty but mostly full, I never took the Moon on the "depression path." A good point of view for my understanding. Thanks. Dave

Jewel

dadsnook2000 said:
I had not seen the Moon (for me) as being able to lead to depression and the string of followup steps that could result.
I believe the depressive stuff was all about the 5 of Coins, though longing which is what I found in retrospect of the moon certainly can lead to that as well.

This exercise was very interesting, specially working with discarded metaphors and making them fit the card. It does give one a totally different view of the meaning we usually associate with a card.

coyoteblack

jewel you really done you work on this step. I went over your work because I was having a tough time with money.

this is kind of funny because I like this step a lot it is my favorite step, I tend to overanalyze though.

coyoteblack

Adept 8 part one

Adept 8.3
1. out in the cold
me against the world
chills down my spine
on the outside looking in
no soul saved past the hour
shiver me timbers( ok i need to laugh this card depresses me)

2. These are what I used for my apprentice level. I Know this is one of the worse cards in the deck and I bring out a lot of cold and loneliness. Which is funny because I like the cold and I know meditation is done solo most of the time for me.
3. I think this reflects my youth and always feeling lonely and we grew up poor many ties we heated the apartment by leaving the oven door open . so maybe cold lonely and broke all fit with the 5 of pents general meaning.
Adept 8.3 b
1. One of my deleted metaphors was center stage
2. The only way I can fit this meaning with this card is feeling like the world is allied against the person. Like the Great Spirit has nothing better to do then single out a person and make their lives miserable. More often than not the person had something to do with the situation and cannot own up to it, and prefers to play the blame game.
3. As I stand center stage in front of the church window waiting a hand out or at least some pity the church goes pass me by. I am distressed! How dare these holy then thou god fearing people ignore a person in need? As I am about to boil over someone suggests I do something to fix the situation by going inside the church and maybe get some spiritual sustenance.
This suggests that when I feel that it is me against the world I need to “ look in the church window” and find answers with in the spirit and not only in money and physical possessions.

the moon card part will be comeing by end of day

Chela

adept level 8

8:3
*metaphors for me (like these)
out in the cold
about to turn a corner
window of opportunity
within a stone's throw

1) These metaphors reflect my habits, attitudes, and cultural conditioning by pointing to my optimistic outlook. Something good or better is always just ahead. Just watch out for the next thing and it will be good.

2) "light from above" strikes me as unlikely.
These 2 people make their way forlornly down the dark street, cold and shivering and alone, past many buildings, but they just stare down at their feet, keeping one foot in front of the other, shuffling along. Suddenly, a bright light shines down on them from the doorway of a building. They glance up in surprise to find the source of the light. A person beckons them from the open door, asking them to come inside and have a hot meal and a warm bed for the night. She explains that there is a motion-sensitive trigger on the spotlight in front of the door and an alarm sounds inside when a person walks close by the building.

3) I am walking out in the dark, feeling sad and alone and am hungry and penniless - it has been a really bad day. As I huddle together with my son, who accompanies me in search of comfort, we walk close to the buildings as a way to shelter us from the cold wind. Suddenly a light shines down on us, startling us, and we look up. A door opens just ahead and a smiling woman beckons in to eat and sleep there for the night. It is a homeless shelter and we go inside. After a meal and a good night's sleep, we will feel much better in the morning and be able to go out with hopes for finding work for the day.

4) Wheel of Fortune, Druidcraft deck
Metaphors:
wheel of fortune
turning of the wheel
a card laid is a card played
what fortune has dealt
it's in the cards
boom or bust
spin the wheel
turning point
change in fortune
turn of events
play the cards you are dealt
what goes around comes around
every new beginning comes from another beginning's end
be centered (in the now)

I especially like the "change in fortune" and "turn of events" for this card. I usually use the "turning point" with the "5" cards, and of course this 10 is a 5 card as well, and also the "end and begin again" card, so this was a fresh metaphor to use with Wheel of Fortune. I prefer to think that if the Wheel comes up in a reading, it is because the change in fortune is for the better in the person's life. "Boom or bust" indicates a last-ditch effort to make a change and would be a challenge for a person. And "be centered" is so important - a good reminder to people.

SistaSpirit

Discussion of the Hermit

dadsnook2000 said:
Yes, the Hermit is deeper than his surface-image. Is he looking for himself, is he seeking to be in the right place for another to discover him? Why is there, what will he do next? I don't think he knows. I think he is moving on faith, just to see where his steps take him and then to see what he sees.

Where the Fools knows not who he is or where he is going, the Hermit does know who he is, greatly cares about whatever he can find and learn about. He is somehow related to the hanged man, I haven't yet determined how, just a sense of mine. I'll dwell upon this a bit. Dave

Dan and Squeakymo

I found your comments on the Hermit to be quite interesting. I think of the Hermit as a seeker as well. He has experienced many revelations, seeking the why of his existence, his purpose, and the existence of the universe, becoming wise, becoming a teacher in the process. He keeps searching carrying the lamp to cast light into the unknown, the dark, seeking the miracle of Self, the Divine, until he accepts his Divinty. I paraphase a quote by Walt kelly's Pogo "We have met the Divine and It is Us"

SistaSpirit

21 Ways...Adept level 8 RWS

8:3 -1

Starred Items:
Out in the cold: rejected by all who are important to you.

Walking wounded: hurt and alone but fighting to survive

Crippled Spirit: Emotionally damaged cannot respond appropriately to love and kindness

Looking for shelter- looking for protection

Window of opportunity: a chance to overcome adversity

Support in Adversity: a helping hand up

8:3-2

Beggars can’t be choosers/ Beggars can be choosers

The beggar, Lucy, stood on the corner, holding a sign made of cardboard that was ripped from a box she found in the alley, with the words “please allow me to work for money,” printed neatly on it. She was a youngish woman perhaps in her mid thirties. She had fallen on hard luck after breaking her leg so that she could no longer earn a living as a barroom dancer. She had no kind of insurance, nor was she paid if she didn’t work. She soon went through her small savings trying to stay in the small room she rented from Mrs. Atterbury. When she could no longer pay, and had incurred two weeks of rent and board, Mrs. Atterbury showed her the door in the dead of winter. Told her to come back when she could pay but until then she would keep her belongings and rent her room to someone else.

Lucy first thought of the many gents who threw her coins when she danced for them. It was all respectable, no touching and no dates after work. In her heart she was still the little farm girl raised by strict but loving parents. They were poor and still had many mouths to feed. Lucy knew she wouldn’t get any help there and didn’t want to be a burden to her family.

Lucy stood near the entrance to the barroom leaning on her crutch and holding her sign high, not making eye contact with any of the men as they passed her. There were the usual lewd propositions, but Lucy turned them down even when it meant that Lucy would sleep in a cardboard box and eat bits of garbage. Some nights people would toss a coin in the snow at her feet and hurried away before she could ask for work or thank them. Eventually one gent asked her if she was good with a needle, she assured him that she had gotten plenty of practice at home mending clothing and making clothing from sacks. Come to this address tomorrow morning at eight, he said, taking her sign from her hand he scribbled the address on the back of it. He offered her a 6pence for which to by her supper. She looked at it hungrily and thought of how a nice hot bowl of mutton stew and a piece of bread would fill her belly and warm her soul. “Well take it then,” he urged. His voice rudely brought her back to reality just as she imagined dipping the bread into the bowl. “No kind sir, I shall wait until I earn it. He pressed it into her hands, said I will deduct it from your wages, and walked inside the bar.

The next morning at the address she was given a handsome woman with a kind face greeted Lucy. She explained that Lucy’s job would be to mend the family’s clothing and linens and assist the household seamstress. Lucy was overjoyed because this is work she could do sitting down while her leg healed.

8:3-3

Beggars can’t be choosers/ Beggars can be choosers

I’m standing on the corner, holding a sign made of cardboard that I ripped from a box I found in the alley, on which I carefully printed “please allow me to work for money”. I am 33 and have fell on hard luck after breaking my leg. I can no longer earn a living as a barroom dancer. I don’t have any insurance and would not be paid if I don’t work. I soon went through my small savings trying to stay in the small room I rent from Mrs. Atterbury. After two weeks of room and board with out paying Mrs. Atterbury showed me the door it is the dead of winter. She kept my belongings and told me to come back when I could pay but until then she’s going to rent my room to someone else.

My first thoughts are of the many gents who threw me coins when I danced for them. It was all respectable, no touching and no dates after work. In my heart I am still the little farm girl raised by my strict but loving parents. They are poor subsistence farmers on worn out land and still have many mouths to feed. I know that they cannot help me, it is I who helped them occasionally, I will not be a burden to them.

As I stand near the entrance to the barroom, I lean on my crutch while holding my sign high, I am not making eye contact with any of the men as they pass me. Some of them made lewd propositions, but I reject their offers even though I know that it means that I would sleep in a cardboard box and eat bits of garbage. Some nights people would toss a coin in the snow at my feet and hurry away before I could ask for work or thank them. A gent walks up and asked’ “are you good with a needle? I assure him that I had plenty of practice at home mending clothing and making clothing from potato sacks. “Come to this address tomorrow morning at eight,” he said. Then he took my sign from my hands and scribbled the address on the back. He offered me 6pence for which to by my supper. Looking at the coins in his hand, I could imagine sitting down to a hot bowl of mutton stew and a bit of bread. Oh, how it will fill my belly and warm my soul. “Well take it then,” he urged. His voice a bit irritated, brought me back to reality just as I was about to dip my bread into the bowl. “No kind sir, I shall wait until I earn it. He pressed it into my hands, saying “I will deduct it from your wages,” and walked inside the bar.

A handsome woman with a kind face greeted me the next morning at the address the gent gave me. She explained that my job would be to mend the family’s clothing and linens and assist the household seamstress. I was overjoyed because I could do this work seated while my leg healed.

8:3-4

I’m working with the Moon RWS

baying at the moon- challenges me to be a better person because baying at the moon indicates inertia and reminds me that I need to get on with it.

Troubled water

Man in the moon

Long and winding path -surprises and delights me

Crab fest

This task presents a challenge for me because I’m still trying to learn about the Moon.

SistaSpirit

OMG Jewel

I love your post on the moon. it really did inform me, because the moon card is a big challenge for me. thank you.