Are you doing readings for Halloween?

Pook

And if you are, are there any special spreads that go really well for this fun and spooky time of year? I was asked to do readings for a party and the host suggested a Halloween theme reading but I dont know any spreads and cant seem to find any either.

Anybody......?

Rhiannon

I don't know that you really need a "halloween theme" reading. Isn't a tarot reading of any kind special enough? You could dress up like a gypsy or a witch though. That will add the extra touch, maybe use a "dark" deck and have some dry ice around your table. :D

Alissa

Many people hold to the belief that Halloween, or Samhain, is a time when the veils between the world of the living and the dead become thin enough to penetrate.

If you would like to have spirit guidance be part of your spread, you could search this forum (at the bottom there is the 'Search This Forum' thingy) for spreads involving ghosts, angels, or other spirit guides.

Wisp Wings

"By the Light of the Moon"

I haven't had any special spreads for this occasion, but every since your posting of this, I have been thinking about it. Some of my main thoughts were to keep it small. With the reading being in a party atmosphere, you will want small plus I am not sure of the ages you are going to be reading for. So here is what I came up with. I think this will fit well with the thin veil too.

"By the Light of the Moon" (A Halloween/Samhain) Spread
by Wisp Wings

Shuffle and cut the cards as desired.

Before laying out the spread, state aloud: "By the light of the moon on this hallowed night we seek these answers......."

[Layout the spread as:

*********3*****
*******2*******
*********1***** (The spread should be half-moon shaped.)]

1. "What tricks do you excel in? These are your talents you have or are able to develope in your life." (See this as "Strengths")

2. "What treats or gifts are you to receive? Perhaps this is a gift you have in your life that you need to harvest, instead of allowing to lay at waste in the field." (See this as Gift)

3. From the spirit world, what advice shall this realm impart to you. (Spirit Advice card)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This spread I feel may be a decent spread and certainly not just something to be seen as kiddy only. It can be, but to read deeper, it can be used wisely with adults I believe.

I think I will save this and do a reading for myself of it this year. :)

Edited to show a better layout. Thank you AugursWell for your suggestion. :)

Pook

I LOVE IT!!

Thanks so much, Wisp Wings! I've been working on one myself and will post it when I'm done, but I may not use it now. It ended up having a lot more cards than I intended for it to, and three seems much better.

Plus I love the spirit advice card!!

Thanks Again :)

Wisp Wings

Thank you MoonDreameR. Glad you liked it. The reason I went with just three cards is the depth of time it can involve if using more. With three you can get it done in 10 to 15 minutes if moving steadily. Of course you can go with deeper readings on this same spread, but to attempt to give all who wants a reading one, three cards is good.

augursWell

Wisp Wings, I like this spread also. I seem to have an "inverted" mind or something when it comes to a lot of spreads since I would have put the "Spirits" card at the top of the moon/spread. I tend to think of spirits being in the air so the top position seems right. In any event, the spread is easy to remember, "trick or treat and ghosts", goes with the Holiday, and easy to layout. Great idea. :)

Wisp Wings

augursWell said:
Wisp Wings, I like this spread also. I seem to have an "inverted" mind or something when it comes to a lot of spreads since I would have put the "Spirits" card at the top of the moon/spread. I tend to think of spirits being in the air so the top position seems right. In any event, the spread is easy to remember, "trick or treat and ghosts", goes with the Holiday, and easy to layout. Great idea. :)

Hello AugursWell:

I agree whole-heartedly with you. I didn't think that through enough, I just knew I wanted to end the reading on the Spirits advice. I think my normal thinking of listing 1, 2, 3 went as that, (meaning 1 at top and 3 at the end). Of course the Moon is up and in the night sky to start with, but I still do tend to want what is seen from Spirit as higher still.... like looking over all. I think I will re-write it in my journal with the same questions in the same order asked, but certainly the layout I will change. So I will have 1 and 3 to where it will be seen as 1 as the lowest point of the moon, 2 still the mid-point and question 3 being the top-most position.

Thank you for your insight and your sharing. I just editted the spread changing the layout positions to be better fitting.

If any of you use this for yourself, let me know how it works for ya either in "Your Readings" or in a PM.

Cerulean

How about Great Pumpkin Pairs?

If you had the Halloween Tarot, how about having people pick two cards from a big pumpkin trick or treat basket/plastic pail and having it suggest a 'Great Pumpkin' Pairing?

http://www.learntarot.com/less15.htm

The first card suggests one aspect, and the second card picked is either a balance for that aspect or something that resolves the first one.

Maybe a Whimsical Tarot or Old English Tarot or both is good for this, as the cards are not scary. If you like, take two or three decks with court cards only to put in the Pumpkin Pail and tell them they will find Great Pumpkin Dream Date pairs...for fun. Give them a candy treat once they return the cards...or you might want to only do Major Arcana cards from different decks to make it easier.

If it's for fun, picking some extreme card is just a suggestion of a need that needs another card to complete it. For instance, if they get the Devil, suggest they are a bit of one or feel a need...if they get the Devil and Three of Swords, suggest they will be someone else's devilish heartbreaker. If you think along that lines, it might be a quicker game than a 15 minute reading and may go faster...

Regards,

Cerulean

Kiama

My best friend/house mate created a Past Lives spread that he called the Web of Wyrd spread. Whilst it doesn't tell you what you were in your past life, it does tell you what energies/influences from your past life affect your present life, what you failed to learn back then and how it affects this life, what you did learn back then and how it affects this life, etc, your goals for this life...

I thought that would be an excellent one to do for the more spiritually inclined people at Halloween, esp. Pagans, though it's a rather large spread.

He's in Scotland at the moment being rained on, but next time he phones I'll ask him if I can post his spread here.

Blessings,

Kiama