Similar decks to the Playing Card Oracle?

Bhavana

So funny, I just put that Cartes deck on my wishlist last night - I didn't realize that it was the same deck as the Solleone. I also have a few new ones that I want now:

2000 Pips
Toscana (reprint of 1850 deck)
Erotic - Eric Provoost
Schicks Circus
Doomed Queens

So, you are really IN Pennsylvania. I knew someone who lived in the general area you are in - wow, did it feel like I was so far away from everything when I was there. How does someone go from the city to out there? I lived in Philadelphia when I was younger, and also in Bucks County, and worked over there on and off for years - I bartended at a bar in the Northeast for a very long time. I've been in southern Ocean county (Lng Bch Island, Manahawkin) for the past decade or so - but am now in Burlington County - which would be from Phila. over the Ben Franklin and waaay down Rt 70. I don't go into Philly very often, can't stand the traffic and all the people....but I am planning on my semi annual trip to Garland of Letters on South Street. Their tarot selection is not what it used to be, but I can always find something to buy!

garmonbozia

Toscana (reprint of 1850 deck)

This is the same as one of the Meneghello decks I posted above. Really nice deck.

Erotic - Eric Provoost

If you find this for a good price, please let me know. I could only find it one site and it was 40 GBP....a little steep for me, especially for a non-tarot. Very strange and interesting cards though.

So, you are really IN Pennsylvania. I knew someone who lived in the general area you are in - wow, did it feel like I was so far away from everything when I was there. How does someone go from the city to out there?

I grew up in this general area and after moving to Philly never thought I'd end up back here, but life is always full of surprises. I do miss the culture and variety of things you can do in the city.

Bhavana

This is the same as one of the Meneghello decks I posted above. Really nice deck.

If you find this for a good price, please let me know. I could only find it one site and it was 40 GBP....a little steep for me, especially for a non-tarot. Very strange and interesting cards though.

I grew up in this general area and after moving to Philly never thought I'd end up back here, but life is always full of surprises. I do miss the culture and variety of things you can do in the city.

Well, I can understand that. I wouldn't even be in this godforsaken state if it were not for my family...they have a way of trapping you in certain places. But there is also the lure of where you come from....not always easy to explain. I never thought I would stay here once I was able to leave, and I did leave - but, I always came back.

I will keep an eye out for the Erotic deck. did you see this one? There are 2 for sale on this page - the second is 21. I think 21 converts to 32 or 33 USD? Then there would be shipping, of course...
http://www.gamesetal.net/oursites/transformation-cards/html/page_002.html

What about 2000 Pips? Are you familiar with that one?

garmonbozia

I am familiar with that one. A little too comical and colorful for my tastes though.

Thanks for the link above. I might have to get them next paycheck. I've reached my limit for nonessential spending this pay period. :(

Belinda2

Well, I can understand that. I wouldn't even be in this godforsaken state if it were not for my family...they have a way of trapping you in certain places. But there is also the lure of where you come from....not always easy to explain. I never thought I would stay here once I was able to leave, and I did leave - but, I always came back.

I will keep an eye out for the Erotic deck. did you see this one? There are 2 for sale on this page - the second is 21. I think 21 converts to 32 or 33 USD? Then there would be shipping, of course...
http://www.gamesetal.net/oursites/transformation-cards/html/page_002.html

Erotic transformation playing cards now I have seen everything pretty funny!

Bhavana

Yes, I bought the Ana Cortez Playing Card Oracle VINTAGE deck from Ana's website...

Here's Marina's blog:

http://saturness.blogspot.com/

I have the Keys to the Kingdom deck...it's truly a work of art. I, too, have a fondness for transformation decks.... La Tee Dah, Wild Animals...

PicTarot is one you might want to look for... ;)

Did you get your Playing Card Oracle yet? I'd love to hear what you think of it. I am going to order tomorrow, I think, it depends on how I feel after i balance my checkbook....

Erotic transformation playing cards now I have seen everything pretty funny!

Yes, and they look VERY naughty. We are NOT just talking a few boobs here and there. I can't resist....

Metafizzypop

How would you like to read with this deck?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenx5/3341460642/

This isn't an actual deck of cards that someone would use to play poker. It's a gaff deck, that is, a joke deck. These cards are used by magicians for sleight of hand tricks. What the magician does is to take a card from the gaff deck and put it into a normal deck, and they'll do tricks with the altered deck.

It may sound strange, but I find this a usable deck for readings. I think that every card shown in the photo lends itself to a meaning. See the 5 of Clubs that only has 4 Clubs on it? I could see that card representing some kind of miscalculation in business, or an error of judgement, or something like that. The only trouble is that decks like this cost from 30 to 40 USD, so for the time being, I'll have to let it go. It's on my wish list, though.

Bhavana

How would you like to read with this deck?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenx5/3341460642/

This isn't an actual deck of cards that someone would use to play poker. It's a gaff deck, that is, a joke deck. These cards are used by magicians for sleight of hand tricks. What the magician does is to take a card from the gaff deck and put it into a normal deck, and they'll do tricks with the altered deck.

It may sound strange, but I find this a usable deck for readings. I think that every card shown in the photo lends itself to a meaning. See the 5 of Clubs that only has 4 Clubs on it? I could see that card representing some kind of miscalculation in business, or an error of judgement, or something like that. The only trouble is that decks like this cost from 30 to 40 USD, so for the time being, I'll have to let it go. It's on my wish list, though.

Love it! Personally, I think that most decks can be used for reading.
This Flickr account has some great photos - did you see the Sailor Jerry deck? That one is on my wishlist for sure! Someone else here at AT just recently bought it, and called it to my attention - before that, I didn't know it existed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenx5/3512164637/in/photostream/

kalliope

Hi Bhavana,

I know you were looking for Rhinemaiden's reaction to her new vintage Playing Card Oracles deck, but I just received mine in the mail the other day, and thought I'd post a comparison between it and the US Games version that I also have.

• The cards are the same size (3" x 4.5" or approx. 76mm x 115mm).
  • As some have already reported, the vintage deck is a thinner cardstock. It's a smooth matte stock, and feels a little like a nice paper board from the craft store.
  • The most major difference, of course, is the card backs. The vintage deck has the swirling pattern all the way to the edges, no border at all.
  • The colors are very subtly different: the blacks are more cool-toned black in the vintage version, but this is only a dramatic difference in some of the cards, and mostly in the line drawings of the art. Which is to say I don't notice a huge difference much between the actual spades and clubs, but in the drawings, several in the vintage version have a blacker look instead of the brownish-black look in the US Games.
  • The salmon/pink/red color is slightly more pink in the vintage than orange, and the blue is slightly warmer in the vintage.
  • The gold is less bold in the vintage.
  • Most of the cards still have the little nubs on them where they were detached from the others in the sheet.
  • The lettering of the card numbers and image titles is very different. The vintage looks more hand drawn and thinner.

I'm not sure if you were interested primarily in a reaction to the deck in general, or to the specifics of the vintage version, so I'm not sure how helpful I've been! I really do like the deck, even though I haven't settled into a cartomancy system yet. The two "cons" for me with this deck would be 1) the size, since I'd prefer a smaller, truly playing card sized deck (I'd LOVE it if she made a pocket version!), and 2) the element-suit attributions (Diamonds=Fire, Clubs=Air, Hearts=Water, Spades=Earth).

I'll snap a few comparison pictures today or tomorrow and put them up, if anyone is interested.

Metafizzypop

Love it! Personally, I think that most decks can be used for reading.
This Flickr account has some great photos - did you see the Sailor Jerry deck? That one is on my wishlist for sure! Someone else here at AT just recently bought it, and called it to my attention - before that, I didn't know it existed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenx5/3512164637/in/photostream/

Yes, I saw the Sailor Jerry deck! Pretty funny. I agree that most decks can be used for reading, and I bet that the Jerry deck would have some interesting stories to tell, lol. And that Flickr account really does have great photos. I just came across it a couple days ago. I found some nice cards on it. And the wish list expands again.......