Court cards as outcomes –

Ruby Red Slippers

Court cards as outcomes –
This still stymies to some degree in layouts.
When it is not a person, per se, what?

Would love to hear others views and comments on this issue.
Thanks,
RRS

jmd

As I personally at times use an MBTI correlation when reading, as outcome, it may show that a decision will indeed be made, or that new information will be obtained, etc., depending on the card in question, and the situation at hand.

I don't see why the court cards would pose more of a problem in that position than in any other.

Court cards are renowned, for some reason, to be a little more difficult to understand than the Atouts (Majors). Once a grasp as to some of their quality has been attained, however, the position will provide further material with which to work, as applied to the card in question.

In this case, an outcome that reflects the quality of the court presented.

mythos

jmd said:

That makes a lot of sense ... far more sense than the old 'law of tarot' (the god/dess only knows who made these up), that a court card for an outcome means that the outcome is dependent on who the card represents and thus one must do another reading with that court card as a significator.

Apart from the difficulties that can arise in identifying who the card might represent (our perception of a person is not necessarily representative of that person), it creates and unwieldy and complex reading that leads more to confusion than clarity.

mythos:)

Fulgour

Manifestations

Court Cards give me a feeling of activity...
looking within the reading may reveal more.

Heavensent

I've read here on AT (and tend to believe it myself) that when a court card comes up for an outcome (ex. King or Queen) a person fitting the description of the card will help OR you need to take on the quality of the court card depending on the question.

Ruby Red Slippers

jmd said:
As I personally at times use an MBTI correlation when reading, as outcome, it may show that a decision will indeed be made, or that new information will be obtained, etc., depending on the card in question, and the situation at hand.

I don't see why the court cards would pose more of a problem in that position than in any other.

Court cards are renowned, for some reason, to be a little more difficult to understand than the Atouts (Majors). Once a grasp as to some of their quality has been attained, however, the position will provide further material with which to work, as applied to the card in question.

I agree, I continue to have some mind-block with the court cards, most likely self-imposed and am working hard to remove this block.

However in the interim, how would your read a King of Cups as the outcome to a legal situation? Emotionally satisfying? but what does that say about a positive or negative outcome?
In this reading the key person for whom the reading is being done is an older male who is kind and loving to a fault. He is also the key in this reading - so even though he is a king of Wands as a significator, if using the astro sign as an indicator, he is also a King of Cups.
perhaps I am too close or too dense - How would you read the King of Cups as the Outcome?
That he will be emotionally satisfied?
Jail time?
Fine ($$) time?
Others around him will be emotional?
this is a politially charged case, lots of emotional and political play -

Thanks to all who respond for your insight in helping me work through this.
RRS

blind1

mythos said:
That makes a lot of sense ... far more sense than the old 'law of tarot' (the god/dess only knows who made these up), that a court card for an outcome means that the outcome is dependent on who the card represents and thus one must do another reading with that court card as a significator.

Apart from the difficulties that can arise in identifying who the card might represent (our perception of a person is not necessarily representative of that person), it creates and unwieldy and complex reading that leads more to confusion than clarity.

mythos:)

I myself have read this,but I never went on to do another reading I just accepted that "court card" would be making the decision or taking action and leave it at that. Otherwise,I am totally lost also. I'm glad someone asked this.

jmd

I prefer to not suggest an actual meaning to someone else's reading, so what follows is more in terms of discussing a possible suggested meaning in terms of a legal situation, without the reading-at-hand being known.

Rather, let's take it as an exercise in using that one card (in this case, the King of Cups) in the outcome position.

If using the MBTI (and various suggestive links have been made), I would personally suggest that a judgement (or decision) will be made based on what feels right about all that has been presented.

The Judge (ie, the King) is possibly here the judge him or herself, rather than the person for whom the reading is about (despite the suggestion that he is an "older male who is kind and loving to a fault").

What is more at issue, then, is not a legal point-scoring victory (or defeat), but rather that the Judge will consider what seems fairest, and use the written law to support, rather than make, ultimate decisions.

Here I am using the --FJ aspect as presented in the card. The EN-- aspect suggests that the King will not hesitate to call forth evidence that may seem very peripheral in order for insights into the situation to be gained, rather than for a meticulous study of directly pertinent 'facts' - 'facts' that are only considered such by someone else having reached conclusions.

Overall, then, this is a Judge that I would happily be judged by - even if I was at fault - for fairness to the intent, rather than the letter, of the law, as itself a mere poor reflection of Justice, seems to be at play.

A Judge that has a humanitarian impulse, I suppose.

...again, I am not here striving to do a reading, but provide some ideas for exploration into having such a card in that position for a reading of that genre.

Thirteen

Ruby Red Slippers said:
However in the interim, how would your read a King of Cups as the outcome to a legal situation? Emotionally satisfying? but what does that say about a positive or negative outcome?
In this reading the key person for whom the reading is being done is an older male who is kind and loving to a fault. He is also the key in this reading - so even though he is a king of Wands as a significator, if using the astro sign as an indicator, he is also a King of Cups.
Part of the problem is that we don't know spread or question. In some spreads, like the CC, the whole spread is the answer, and the outcome is a "coda".

So if you ask, "Will I succeed in this court case"--and you want a yes/no answer, then you only need just one or maybe three cards. But if you do a full on, CC reading, then you end up with MORE than just yes/no. You end up with an outlook on how this case is going to affect EVERYTHING. And the "Outcome" becomes the conclusion to the story, an observation rather than a positive/negative affirmation.

To elaborate: I, myself, would read this card as sayiing that "Emotion will prevail." Will be "king" as it were. So whichever side presents the most compelling emotion, can make the jury cry, if you will and gain their hearts and sympathy, or move them to compassion and mercy, that's the side that will be king. If this were the King/Swords, than whoever offered better facts and legal arguments would be king. If it was King/Wands, then passion and charisma would reign, and if it was King/Pents, then money and luck would Rule.

And no, it has nothing to do with emotional satisfaction. King/Cups would need to be reversed to signify a need for revenge or compensation (though if enough sympathy is garnered, your guy might get just that). So the emotion that will be "King" here is not going to be bloodlust or hatred. It will be what the King/Cups stands for, the soft-hearted emotions.

Does that help?

CosmoKid

You could consider the outcome to be in that suit's "court" as it were. The outcome depends on how effectively you deal with that suits energy pattern.
For King of Cups, it would depend on how effectively you deal with emotional issues at this time, how you influence and how you compose yourself. It could deal with how well you emotionally relate your case.

If this were the King of Pentacles, the case would depend much more on physical, solid evidence. the Kind of Swords would indicate reason and argument, and the King of Wands would indicate how effective speaking as being the way to resolve the issue.