Golden Dawn Tree vs. Crowley's?

Aeon418

In any case, say the Emperor and Aries are on the path from Netzach to Yesod, what does it mean, having two very male influences?
Netzach, the sephira of desire. Yesod, the seat of the sexual force in man. And what of the path in between? Wow! That's hot! :laugh:

Being in the Aeon of Horus we don't have to pour cold water on this aspect of self anymore. Instead it is to be harnessed, directed, and controlled for the purposes of growth. Without sufficient self control this 'force' tends to consume itself in brief fiery sexual conflagrations.

One traditional method used to 'hook' and raise this force is Raja Yoga. Royal Yoga. :royal: The letter Tzaddi itself is associated with meditation. Of course Crowley himself was/is (in)famous for advocating more direct methods.

In the opposite direction (Netzach to Yesod) mental control and fixed thought is required to imprint desire on subconscious. It's one thing to raise the energy, it's quite another to remain focused on the object of the operation.

Is that enough to get you started?

Richard

.......About the tradition, the Secret Chiefs CREATE the tradition, and can change it. But there is still, in Crowley's view as I understand it, the notion that such changes are made in a council, and respond only to natural needs and real events, like precession. They can't be made willy-nilly by any old master who decides to mess with the tradition. He viewed the tradition as a science, an accurate description of reality, not a palette of paints with which to design any universe one fancied. This is the heart of the criticism he made toward Achad's re-attribution of the paths on the Tree of Life, and therefore his ultimate rejection of Achad's claim to true Mastership.
Do you know if there is any general acceptance of Achad's attributions, say in Golden Dawn or Thelemic splinter groups? It looks as if he attempts to sort of reverse the usual order of the attributions. I tried to read his essay but fell asleep in the middle of it.

If anyone is not familiar with this, to see the diagram, scroll to the bottom of this link: http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/egyptian.pdf

Zephyros

Is that enough to get you started?

It is. I don''t know if you're a teacher, but somehow you manage to explain things to me in ways I can understand, more than books ever could. :)

And sorry for not answering you promptly, but "I have done the 10 of Swords & promptly Russia takes up arms." Just as I am studying Geburah, something happens to show me what that is!

Aeon418

Do you know if there is any general acceptance of Achad's attributions, say in Golden Dawn or Thelemic splinter groups?
I think a group called Q.B.L.H. accepted Achad's so called "restoration." I don't know if they exist anymore though.

Aeon418

It is. I don''t know if you're a teacher, but somehow you manage to explain things to me in ways I can understand, more than books ever could. :)
I'm no teacher. It's just that I've already wrestled with this issue and have some idea of how difficult it can be to make connections.

You might find the following quote helpful and highly suggestive. It's from the writings of Paul Foster Case and concerns several things that fit with the Emperor. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether the best fit is the 15th or 28th path.
PFC said:
Self-consciousness is the distinctly human aspect of consciousness - the consciousness of the waking self mind which you are using to read these pages. Self-consciousness finds it's highest expression in the process of of inductive reasoning. It formulates the premises which subconsciousness accepts as suggestions, elaborates by deduction, and carries out in the direction of physiological function and organization.

Self-consciousness is founded upon the experiences of sensation. The driving power in the greater number of it's activities is desire. The Life-Power's expression through it is always a quest into the unknown, for inductive reasoning is ever an attempt to answer questions. In self-consciousness, moreover, the distinctions between past, present and future are sharply drawn. Our memories of the past, our reactions to the present, and our anticipations of the future are all colored and modified by our desires.

Thwarted desires lead to anger. Desire, moreover, has in it something of heat and fire, because all desire is an urge toward self-expansion. Desire, therefore, is the transforming power in consciousness, and it's effects upon the physical and finer bodies are disintegrating, form-destroying. To desire anything is to wish that some present condition may cease to exist. Desire tears down continually. Hindus call it RAJAS.

The alchemical name for this flaming heat of the waking consciousness is SULPHUR. Some occultists believe the noun sulphur to be derived from the Latin sol, sun, and the Greek pyr, fire. Hence they define alchemical sulphur as "sun-fire". We question the accuracy of this derivation. It is true, however, that every activity of our waking consciousness is a transformation of solar energy.

The alchemical symbol for SULPHUR is [sulphur symbol]. The upright triangle symbolizes the cosmic fire. The cross signifies the subdivision of that fire into the four states of matter which the ancients called Fire, Water, Air, and Earth. Thus the Sulphur symbol designates the fivefold nature of self-consciousness, fivefold because it's modifications are based upon the senses. Of these, one corresponds to the cosmic fire, and the other four are developments of it's elementary manifestations.

Richard

P. F. Case's Emperor indicating Sulphur.

Attachments

• caseemperor.jpg
    caseemperor.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 138

Aeon418

An observation

In his commentary on, Atu IV The Emperor, Case mentions the symbolism of the face shown in profile and how this links the Emperor with the 'Ancient of Days' who is depicted as a bearded ancient seen in profile. Only his right side is visible. The traditional interpretation of this symbolism is, "In Him is all right."

Looking at the Emperor it's immediately obvious that something is not quite right. :laugh: He's clearly facing right, but his left side is visible. On top of that the ray of light comes from over his left shoulder.

Hmmm.... very sinister.

Richard

In his commentary on, Atu IV The Emperor, Case mentions the symbolism of the face shown in profile and how this links the Emperor with the 'Ancient of Days' who is depicted as a bearded ancient seen in profile. Only his right side is visible. The traditional interpretation of this symbolism is, "In Him is all right."

Looking at the Emperor it's immediately obvious that something is not quite right. :laugh: He's clearly facing right, but his left side is visible. On top of that the ray of light comes from over his left shoulder.

Hmmm.... very sinister.
Maybe right is left and left is right. Alice through the looking glass. P.F. Case is on the inside looking out.

Attachments

• heirophant.jpg
    heirophant.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 138
  • sacredtree.jpg
    sacredtree.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 144

Aeon418

Aleister Crowley said:
It is finally to be observed that the white light which descends upon him indicates the position of this card in the Tree of Life. His authority is derived from Chokmah, the creative Wisdom, the Word, and is exerted upon Tiphrareth, the organized man.
Is this quote an example of Crowley contradicting himself? Or have we been misreading?

If I were to place the Emperor in the Tree of Life (as opposed to on a particular path) his head would be crowned in Tiphareth. His body and throne would represent those portions of the Tree below Tiphareth.

The Emperor is the "organized man" who has passed through the Outer order grades and the process of Solve et Coagula. He is the King (Adept) of the second chapter of Liber Legis.

This card should be compared to the Hanged Man, who's body by shape represents the Outer order. The Triangle surmounted by the Cross. This is the emblem of the Golden Dawn. The Sulphur of the Emperor has the Cross of the elements crowned by the Triangle of fire.

Mem, spelt in full is MIM. Mem(40) + Yod(10) + Mem(40) = 90 = Tzaddi.

The Emperor is the Fish-Hook that successfully raises the Fish(Nun=50) out of the Water(Mem=40)

crystal dawn

Crowley does say at the begining of the book of thoth that with each coming Aeon attributions on the tree of life may change. My understanding is that in the old Aeon of osiris (where the big daddy belief systems will dominate the world) that the emperor was in fact heh and tzaddi was the star. Crowley sees himself as the prophet of the new Aeon the Aeon of Horus and hence in this Aeon (the aeon of horus) where every man and every woman is a Star tzaddi becomes the emperor and the star becomes heh to reflect the changing of belief systems.

blessings

crystal