Slow Holler: New Collaborative Deck

Tarotwolf

I just got a copy in the mail today and have to say I love it! The common color scheme really pulls all the different images together and for a collaborative deck I think it's very cohesive. I just wish the deck was a lot more southern and definitely more queer. Oh well, it's still a great deck.

gregory

They did actually say that while it was BY Southern Queer artists, it wasn't THEMED as such, AFAIK. I love mine too, and MY handkerchief is perfectly square.

Luna's Crone

i love the devil. but its silly, i like decks that are by the same artist. it throws me off.

Luna's Crone

I noticed yesterday when showing the deck to a friend that my handkerchief is not square. One side is cut on an angle. :(

that would kinda fit with the style of the deck doncha think?

Luna's Crone

Really? Why would they think that people outside America would understand 'Southern' as being Southern America? There's a very very big 'Southern' outside of there which most people in the world would think of instead.

it comes from pre-civil war. the north and the south. I am sure other countries have the same type of vernacular when referring to horrible events in their country. Like at Chernobyl, there are probably ways to refer to pre- and post Chernobyl. It just happens. we are just human. In canada, its french or english. if you an english side priminister now, next election they will be from the french part.

rwcarter

I love mine too, and MY handkerchief is perfectly square.
Grrr.... I don't think I care enough to complain. I'll never store the cards in the handkerchief, nor would I use it for a reading cloth, so it'll just be a curiosity included with the deck.

The Happy Squirrel

I love this deck.

As a minority no matter where I am in the world, I am so used to seeing things from other people's point of reference that I immediately know what "Southern" is. Ethnocentricism is part of life. As long as we are aware of it....

I do not identify with either community, but their voice is something I can totally identify with.

The art work throughout the deck feels very cohesive to me, even if you can spot the style differentiation here and there. Style is but one element of cohesion I suppose. At least for me.

The cardstock is actually better than I expected, I am not sure why, because it reminds me a bit of the new Llywellyn card stock, and I find those mediocre. Maybe because I do not have any expectations what so ever about the card stock, being so excited about the artwork and all.

I do not wrap my decks in cloths, but this cloth works very well with the aesthetic of the deck. So I am keeping it wrapped in there and then maybe house the whole thing somewhere. I don't do large spreads either so it is perfect as reading cloth for me.

Most of all, I love the voice in the booklet. The way it has been written. To a large extent this is the voice of the deck I suppose. There is something there which makes me feel that although they may not consider me to be one of them, I feel like I am hearing the echoes of my own world in there. Always being an outsider looking in, I find this rather comforting. I am not that alone after all.

The Happy Squirrel

This is a strange conversation to be having, stranger still after my own post, since I find myself playing Devil's advocate. I'd say context is everything. When an American says "Do you want to eat a Danish?", they are usually referring to a pastry. (There might be a few exceptions to that rule, of course...;)) At the same time, I highly doubt such pastry is referred to as a "Danish" in Denmark, as that would be confusing indeed... :)

LOL

As I get older I get grumpier, so thank you for a laugh this morning :)

AnemoneRosie

I love this deck.

As a minority no matter where I am in the world, I am so used to seeing things from other people's point of reference that I immediately know what "Southern" is. Ethnocentricism is part of life. As long as we are aware of it....

I do not identify with either community, but their voice is something I can totally identify with.

The art work throughout the deck feels very cohesive to me, even if you can spot the style differentiation here and there. Style is but one element of cohesion I suppose. At least for me.

The cardstock is actually better than I expected, I am not sure why, because it reminds me a bit of the new Llywellyn card stock, and I find those mediocre. Maybe because I do not have any expectations what so ever about the card stock, being so excited about the artwork and all.

I do not wrap my decks in cloths, but this cloth works very well with the aesthetic of the deck. So I am keeping it wrapped in there and then maybe house the whole thing somewhere. I don't do large spreads either so it is perfect as reading cloth for me.

Most of all, I love the voice in the booklet. The way it has been written. To a large extent this is the voice of the deck I suppose. There is something there which makes me feel that although they may not consider me to be one of them, I feel like I am hearing the echoes of my own world in there. Always being an outsider looking in, I find this rather comforting. I am not that alone after all.

I'm with you. I got this deck in the mail today and thus far I adore it. The cardstock feels a little bit thinner, yes, but it's nothing that I'm not used to. The fact that it's the same colour scheme throughout helps to keep it cohesive, for me. I appreciate how the gold makes it almost multi-dimensional. I am completely in love with Death in this deck, as well as a few others.

And, as someone who is queer, I appreciate the tone. I appreciate the conscious effort towards inclusion. I appreciate the tacit acknowledgement in the LWB that it's not always easy, that there will be ups and downs, and that that's ok; that it's part of the process and part of life. That fact is one of the reasons that I got into Tarot in the first place - because I needed a guide when I was so very lost. This deck gets it. It understands what it feels like to be so lost, and it is both reassuring that times can get better, and understanding of the times when everything just looks like muck and manure.

I wish that there were more people who loved this deck as well so that we could have a discussion about it.

And my kerchief is square. It is more packaging than Thea's Tarot has, which is just twine tied around the cards.