5 swords

Rachx

I have been reading Tarot to help me decide a course of action and I have now made the decision - which is to defer my final year of my MSc for one year. Basically because my son is doing A levels and I want to support him rather than be stressed about my own work. (I also work full time and single mum so time is precious -and it's important to me that it gets spent doing the right thing)

What's interesting is that I keep pulling the 5 swords, I've done several different spreads as it is an important decision and I wanted to understand all the aspects before making it.

To me the 5 can represent Pyrrhic victories and arguments for the sake of arguments. Can I take the 5 to mean that had I completed the MSc next year it would have felt empty? Perhaps I will feel no sense of achievement?

I'm using different decks but they are all fairly RWS-esque!

elena_jaymz

Hi Rachx, I think the 5 Swords is showing how you are feeling at the moment. You wanted to make the right choice and this implied choosing between those you love and what you love: you chose your son, but probably at the same time you don't feel like you "won", because you're indeed deferring your Msc., that's something important for you I suppose. Perhaps you have thoughts like: this is the price to pay if you want to make the right choice in a difficult situation (you even work full time indeed).

Just my 2 cents.

Rachx

Hi Rachx, I think the 5 Swords is showing how you are feeling at the moment. You wanted to make the right choice and this implied choosing between those you love and what you love: you chose your son, but probably at the same time you don't feel like you "won", because you're indeed deferring your Msc., that's something important for you I suppose. Perhaps you have thoughts like: this is the price to pay if you want to make the right choice in a difficult situation (you even work full time).

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Elena - nice take - I never saw it that way but it would make sense for sure. You only really get one chance with your kids and it's my most important job really! I feel like a martyr saying that but I am comfortable with my decision although it was difficult. Sometimes these fives have a bit of subtlety going on! X thank you X

headincloud

It can just mean sacrifice or self-sacrifice.

Sharla

Id see this card as you doing the right thing :thumbsup:

As this card can be about detachment, and you are detaching yourself from your studying, to be there for your Son through his....which is a very lovingly motherly thing to do.

Rachx

Thanks Sharla - I'm pleased it won't be something I regret or causes arguments which was my initial read of it - thank you xx

IndigoWaves

If the 5 of Swords has been appearing even after your decision to postpone the course, I'd wonder if it's actually picked up on "self-sabotage" intentions... Maybe a hidden desire to give up on the MSc altogether, rather than continuing with it next year, as consciously planned for. If this rings true, then you may actually be one of the figures in the background, feeling defeated and walking away from the fight, with the sly-looking foreground figure as those hidden intentions and perhaps a negative belief that you're "outmatched"/incapable of getting the MSc. (This is just an alternate view, though, which may not apply.)

Ace

Why not ask another question: will taking a year off cause me trouble with my MSc? I bet the answer will be OK.

barb

Rachx

If the 5 of Swords has been appearing even after your decision to postpone the course, I'd wonder if it's actually picked up on "self-sabotage" intentions... Maybe a hidden desire to give up on the MSc altogether, rather than continuing with it next year, as consciously planned for. If this rings true, then you may actually be one of the figures in the background, feeling defeated and walking away from the fight, with the sly-looking foreground figure as those hidden intentions and perhaps a negative belief that you're "outmatched"/incapable of getting the MSc. (This is just an alternate view, though, which may not apply.)

Hi Indigo Waves- thank you for your view. It's not appearing anymore - I've done a couple more spreads - it's such a hard decision I've been Tarot-ing like mad! I'm getting good cards now like the page cups and three cups- then far future I think it's saying it may be an issue - maybe five cups and 9 swords for example - in which case I will take up the MSc again - so I feel deferring for just the one year is a good decision as long as I do pick it back up. Thank you for your insight.