Tarot comes to the theatre!

214red

HI,

I have had an idea for my next tarot circle about improvising a play during our next meet up.

i am going to get someone to pick a card for their charectors (court cards)and then more cards for their emotions/feelings (minors), and events using Major cards.

Has anyone attempted this, or anyone have ideas on how this can be performed.

Thanks
Nik

pouter

Yes I think it was done before in Cambridgeshire. I think that's why you remember the idea. Unfortunately its nothing new. Sorry.

214red

pouter said:
Yes I think it was done before in Cambridgeshire. I think that's why you remember the idea. Unfortunately its nothing new. Sorry.
i didnt think it was new, because i would have been surprised it had not been done before as its a natural progression, no i didnt know about anything being down in cambridgeshire so i dont remember the idea....i simply thought of it.

am looking for ideas on how to do it, practically.

pouter

I have emailed a friend in Cambs and although it was done publically I dont see why it can't be done as, a private performance something that isn't shared publically.As, a teaching tool. They can't say anything about that at all if it's used as a lesson.
I am sure there must be lots of innovative ideas related to tarot that can be performed. I wish I could help, but I would be worried chucking ideas out that I could get told off for shareing. I have to respect my friends idea. I dont want them being angry with me. and I do hope you come up with something. I think other's will be able to help but as the idea was pushed into my head a longtime ago I feel I would be reiterating their ideas too publically. I guess I dont want to lose the friend.

214red

pouter said:
I have emailed a friend in Cambs and although it was done publically I dont see why it can't be done as, a private performance something that isn't shared publically.As, a teaching tool. They can't say anything about that at all if it's used as a lesson.
I am sure there must be lots of innovative ideas related to tarot that can be performed. I wish I could help, but I would be worried chucking ideas out that I could get told off for shareing. I have to respect my friends idea. I dont want them being angry with me. and I do hope you come up with something. I think other's will be able to help but as the idea was pushed into my head a longtime ago I feel I would be reiterating their ideas too publically. I guess I dont want to lose the friend.
They cant patent the right to use tarot as a tool to improvise,even if i did this as a play in public, if you ever read and talk as a tarot card (i love speaking as the king of swords)you are doing the same thing as i intend to do (or is it just me that does that??).

i have an outline on how i want to do it. havent you ever improvised a story using random phrases, this is what i am going to do but with tarot as the phrase/idea....each shuffle will prooduce the next part of the improv

i will post when i have come up with the complete outline.

its nice you care about your friend:)

pouter

It is upto you what you do I am just worried you might find that those who have done it before won't be too happy with the idea. Good luck.

BodhiSeed

Nik,
It sounds like you have some great ideas already! Having everyone improvise according to the cards they draw would be a great way to learn the cards in a more indepth way, and would probably produce some very personal meanings for the cards. Can't wait to hear how everyone enjoyed playing their part. It makes me think of the old show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?":D

Pouter, if I understand 214red correctly, what she's doing isn't to make money; she's just doing it as a part of a tarot group that comes together to help each other become better readers.

214red

bodhran said:
Nik,
It sounds like you have some great ideas already! Having everyone improvise according to the cards they draw would be a great way to learn the cards in a more indepth way, and would probably produce some very personal meanings for the cards. Can't wait to hear how everyone enjoyed playing their part. It makes me think of the old show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?":D

Pouter, if I understand 214red correctly, what she's doing isn't to make money; she's just doing it as a part of a tarot group that comes together to help each other become better readers.

yes that program inspired my thought, and my old drama classes did. I want to take tarot out of the box and do things we wouldnt usually associate with tarot, we have all been studying for awhile so we know the meaning of the cards...but fun cements it in your mind, and you could have fun.

no improv is the same as the cards will come out differently each time, so you likely will find your friends play is very diffent from mine because of the shuffling

pouter

ok, I didn't want to come across as tetchy. Sorry for that. That wasn't the intent. I read it back and I am so...over protective of my friend. Overall I think that it is something that will be fun and no there shouldn't be copyright on the idea, just my friend is very protective of things. I dont argue with them, as well I never get the last word.
That aside, go for it have fun and be spontaneous. It all sounds like a fun project to do and I think you will get a lot out of it. Ity is a good chance for all ot be creative and bring something new into the group and different people will have different ideas. I think will also help to use as a learning curve and it will also help to see their strengths and weaknesses as actors. It should be a springboard in which things can germinate from.
Enjoy