Disrespect of Cards

franniee

NorthernTigress said:
You know, while reading this thread, I can't help but think of blackairplane's infamous "Ugly deck". The one that even he doesn't know what deck it really is; the one with he describes as "old, orange, and with ugly pictures"; the one he keeps at work, and has run over with a forklift at least once.

I'm sure almost everyone would agree that this deck has been "disrespected" if not outright abused. And yet it always reads true. I should know, I've seen it in action in many a Tarot Games & Fun thread.

NT Blackairplane is a she. :) I love her stories of her ugly deck and let me tell you she rocks with that deck!

I take care of my stuff but that is just me.... all of my stuff. I do believe cards are ink and paper.....

Elven

My decks at home are all neatly displayed - because if they're not, I go crazy. I hate trying to find a deck I want in a 'now' moment, so best for them (and me) I can find them - otherwise they end up in piles on the floor ... and they may stay there for a week or two until I get the energy to put them back.

Yes, one deck was run over by a bus and I lost it, only to get it back. Its a regular prof reading deck with the same cloth its always had, in the same runover box. Others are treated with kid gloves.

When I read for others I encourage people to suffle them however they like. I drink coffee over them. Some are saged, some aren't.

I treat them individually I guess - I had a huge ritual before reading when I started. I have a very simple one now. Works a treat.

pasara

Whatever works for you is great. Just don't assume what works for others is wrong or "disrespectful." There are more important things in life to get upset about.

canid

Don't get me wrong; I treasure my cards beyond measure, or I wouldn't let them sleep with me. I did have a mild panic attach when my Druid Craft Ace of Cups got bent in half but I talked myself down. And it was really cool that Dreyfuss wanted to *play* - the card he chose was very appropriate at the time, but I can't remember now what it was. Thank God for lamination...

SunChariot

I personally consider my decks a sacred tool, that lets me communicate with the Divine. I treat them with respect for that reason (because those are my feelings). But I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way. We are all free to view our cards however we want to, in my eyes. Whatever works for the individual reader is fine with me. Even though I know what my values are, I don't expect others to automatically have the same ones. We are all free to choose our own values, how to use our own tools, and how we feel about them. As long as the readings are not affected, it's fine to do whatever works for you, in my eyes. I say "Live and let live."

Babs

Shade

I definitely think we impart our own energy to our tools and, while not necessary for giving readings, it can be helpful to energetically and phyically shield the poor things. I've read with a deck fresh out of its box without any larger ritual but I must admit I prefer to consecrate a deck before making use of it.

I do have one deck that has been THE deck for me for coming up on 8 years now. My Secret tarot by Nizzoli has been read while camping, hiking, and in more cafes and bars than I can even comprehend. It looks well used but it is also well loved. I would not use this deck for a paying client, i think it's wear would detract form their experience.

That being said, I also wouldn't want to read with a pristine, new-deck-smell deck as I think it might give the impression I just started studying Tarot last Thursday. The very well cared for first printing Aquarian deck has enough antique cred to send the message I have in mind.

13WildMoons

pasara said:
Whatever works for you is great. Just don't assume what works for others is wrong or "disrespectful." There are more important things in life to get upset about.

It is my OPINION that what others do is disrespectful. It is not an assumption because I know that everyone does their own thing for their own reasons. I don't have to agree with them though. However in all the many years that I have been doing readings or getting readings I have not once said anything to anyone directly about how they treat their cards. It's their own thing - and that choice I do respect.

It is my choice to get upset about it because it goes strongly against MY spiritual beliefs. So therefore I do find it an important enough thing for me to get upset about.

theora

I treat my decks with care, but I also tend to bring them around with me just about everywhere so most decks I use for reading don't stay super pristine. I also especially love old used decks. I don't think that using a well worn deck would detract from the reading experience, by any means. It's like driving a classic car!

Grizabella

I respect my cards a lot. I don't worship them, though. And I don't treat them as if they have they're anything but what they are---a deck of cards, a tool I use.

I respect them insofar as I take good care of them. But that's because I can't just trot out and buy another one if I lose or ruin a deck. They're not cheap to come by for me. I take good care of them. I don't leave them lying around if there are little kids in the house who might get ahold of them and mess them up. I don't leave them where a pet could get ahold of them and chew them up. I make sure I don't leave them somewhere. Stuff like that.

thinbuddha

paper. ink. Held in high esteem.

Are we talking about money?

Tarot cards don't get their feelings hurt. I handle my cards with care- but it comes from not wanting to damage them, as many of them would be difficult to replace.

I also play solitaire with my tarot cards (with modified rules that work wonderfully). They never invade my dreams to voice complaints.

Except when I fail to make an obvious play- they hate that.

These bits of ink and paper- they should not be revered. They will not notice one way or the other.

It is perfectly valid to expect others to handle your cards with care, and to take offense when they do not. But how can you worry about how other people handle their own cards?