Gilded Tarot - non-round Pentacles

tmgrl2

Thank you, Creative Fire! That adds another whole dimension to it! I agree...I can't look at the pentagram without an inner five-pointed star image...and that's great, because it expands the whole meaning....

Isn't this deck amazing?

terri

lunakasha

tmgrl2 said:
But if one looks at Ciro's back of the card image...it contains much that is symbolic to allow me to love the Pent shape. There is his trademark circle, and within that the "sun"...

In fact, another thread could just study that symbol which so reminds me of a minor Tarot de Marseille card, except thiis one if you look closely, has all of the key numbers within it...

Just wanted to let tmgrl and everyone else know....there is a new thread posted specifically to discuss the backs of the cards, which are, IMO, the most beautiful and intricate card backs I have seen yet....

EDITED TO ADD LINK:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27419

:D Luna

tmgrl2

Had some thoughts about "non-rounds pentacles" as used in the Gilded Tarot. Many feel that not using coins, means the loss of a traditional symbol for a minor suit.

I felt that at first and still dont' know where I stand on it, but do like to think of the pentacle as having the four elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) plus Spirit...or the image of the man within the Pentagram...all together standing for the material plane.

terri

lunakasha

*bump*

Anyone care to add to this discussion???

:) Luna

The 78th Fool

Everytime I look at my cards I'm always drawn to the pentacles sooner or later - I think they are one of the cleverest and most elegant elements of the whole deck. I can't give any great insights because I haven't analysed them yet - After almost a year I'm still at the gaze and enjoy stage only!!

Chris. xx

shelikes2read

I think one of my favorite things about this deck IS the suit of Pentacles. I kind of identify with them anyway since, back when my friends and I were young and just starting out, I had the Queen of Pentacles as my significator.

Well, since green is my favorite color, and the shades of green being used in this suit are my favorite shade of green, you can imagine my gasp of appreciation when I saw THIS Queen of Pentacles in all her emerald glory. :)

I love this deck.

souljourney

Bumping this up since we seem to be getting a study group for the Gilded together again...

I didn't miss having a Pentacle...some decks have disks or coins. I think the symbolism is still basically there...protection, material objects, resources. And if you connect the points you get the star...I think the effect is there.
I do love the fact that it contains the green and that not every Pentagon is the same.

Thoughts from the new gang?...

RedMaple

My first reaction to the Pentacles was just that they were so beautiful. I loved the green and gold. Then my intellect came in and said, ah, but the Pentagon (big symbol of war).

But these Pentagons remember the spirit within matter, or that matter and spirit are the same thing. I find them delightful -- they make me happy. In fact, the entire suit of Pentacles makes me happy. So, well done, and very unique.

I like the reminder that the star is both around and inside the five-sided shape.

wizzle

Love them - so new

For me, the five-sided pentacles are so new and add a larger dimension to the concept of the suit. I am SO glad Mr. Marchetti didn't stick to the traditional round shape.

I see these pentacles as chips, tokens or bits of treasure. I always associated the round pentacles with coins. While the symbols are similar in that they both deal with matter, treasure, IMO, is a more encompassing symbol than a coin. Money is money, but treasure, precious things, come in many forms.

And I think Mr. Marchetti manipulated this "pentacle as token or treasure" in very fresh ways. On the 8 of pents, this treasure seems to be a book to study, in the 4 "stuff" that is almost too hard to get your arms around, in the 3 it is a craft object, etc.

Emeraldgirl

I love the Suit of Pentacles on this deck. I don't miss the coins at all. Not when they are replaced with such beautiful images.