Perpetual bad news

Farzon

In bad times I prefer to have others read for me or change the question. Last time I feared a negative outcome, I changed the question of my weekly reading to "what can I do to make next week a positive one?". Even taking into account that I could do something changed my way of thinking for the rest of the week and it became quite a good one!

ETA: in these cases, consider ditching the outcome card!

SunChariot

Would you keep reading tarot if all it ever told you is that you are going to fail, no matter what you do? Out of all the tarot readings I've done or had done for me over the years, I can count on two fingers the times the spreads have come out positively, even when I ask how to avoid a bad outcome. And I'm talking Ace of Swords Reversed kinds of outcomes, or Ace of Wands Reversed, or Lovers Reversed. I'd love to know the thoughts of other readers out there: if you basically never got any good news would you keep reading? Do you think it's better to not even ask?

Thank you.

The way I see it, Tarot is a tool to help us live our best lives, to comfort us, to encournage us, to help us solve problems and to see the positive side of life and embrace it.

That is what Tarot IS and what it is meant to do. If this is not happening, then something is wrong.

First if you have had readings done by others which have left you feeling negative, something is wrong there. NOT with you, but with the skills of the reader(s).

The readers were not good readers if this happened. A reading that does not help you feel better in some way, or at the very least give you hope by telling you HOW to improve things, is a failed reading in my eyes. That means the readers you went to were not good readers and for that reason I would not trust what they said.

It looks to me like you have been to some readers who were not very competent. If the result was that they made you feel negative and worse, then disregard what they said. They did not know how to give the message in the right way. That does not mean that readings can't be something more in the hands of a better reader.

Next issue you mentioned, is that this is happening even when you read for yourself. That might mean that you have a fear of seeing something negative come up as you feel it has so often in the past. And that might have left you in a place where you consciously or unconscioulsy have expectations or worries that this may happen again. Thus you LOOK for it in the cards, hoping it will not come up this time.

If this happens, and you go in with expectations, it means that you can't maintain the objectivity needed to read fore yourself. We need to have a clear mind to read for ourselves with no expectations of what we want or don't want to come up. And just look for truth. If there is something you don't want to come up that can predispose you to look for and then see it, even if it is not the actual answer.

What I would suggest is to try to believe that this is not what Tarot is or how it is supposed to work. It has nothing to do with you. A good reader can find ways to inspire the querent, no matter who the reading is for. There are always good uplifting aspects to ANY situation in our lives, even the hard ones.

You just likely had a number of bad readings done, and not surprisingly it worried you. That concern could carry on to your readings you do for yourself, coloring them and making it hard for you to be objective enough to read accurately for yourself.

So first thing I would say is to realize that your experiences are not typical of a good Tarot reading. That is not the way it is supposed to go. There are always positive sides to any situation and the reader is supposed to show them and be helpful.

That said, maybe it would be helpful to you to ask your cards HOW you can get better and better at seeing the positive side of the issues you ask about in your readings. ALL situations have two sides to them. Even the hardest situation has a positive side too. To just give the hardships and to not show the good means that readings is unbalanced, in my eyes. It's about striving to create that balance and remembering WHY you are doing the reading:to help, inspire, comfort, ...the querent. If that is the goal of a reading, then a good reading should achieve that.

And btw, also, a lot of what comes up has to do with the question asked. Readings do NOT have to be predictive and tell us what will happen. We have the power to create the future we want and Tarot can help us do it.

Eg,instead of asking if you would succeed at "X", you could ask "What can I do now to help ensure that I succeed at "X"?" OR "What steps can I take not to help me succeed at "X"? " OR "What do I need to know/understand now that if I got it I would succeed at "X"?" Then you can follow the advice, do it, and then succeed. Just to give you some ideas. We don't have to ask about the future as if it was destined and we can't change it We can ask HOW to create the future we want and then set about creating it. Which to me is a much better use of the cards.

Those are my beliefs on that,

Babs

SunChariot

In bad times I prefer to have others read for me or change the question. Last time I feared a negative outcome, I changed the question of my weekly reading to "what can I do to make next week a positive one?". Even taking into account that I could do something changed my way of thinking for the rest of the week and it became quite a good one!

ETA: in these cases, consider ditching the outcome card!

Like you said, a lot depends on what we ask. The cards can answer anything at all. And will answer just what you asked.

Like some days when I am feeling a bit down, I like to ask the cards to "Please tell me something joyous about my life today." And then that is all they can talk about, something in your life that can be a true source of joy to you if you see it and focus on it.

Never fails to help. :grin:

Yeah, maybe ditch the outcome card. Or at least see that most times we can CHANGE the outcome. What the cards tell us when they predict the future is NOT set in stone and 90% of the time (even more in my experience) we can still change the future if it's not the one we want. Just because the cards show something as our future does not mean we have to go there. We can still change that future. ....something else to remember....

Babs

Farzon

Like you said, a lot depends on what we ask. The cards can answer anything at all. And will answer just what you asked.

Like some days when I am feeling a bit down, I like to ask the cards to "Please tell me something joyous about my life today." And then that is all they can talk about, something in your life that can be a true source of joy to you if you see it and focus on it.

Never fails to help. :grin:

Babs
I do that too! [emoji4] [emoji106]

ETA: and I'm very prone to bad feelings and fears that can taint my readings. So I definetly know what it's like to grab the cards with fear of what might come out...

Aesoteric

Some "Happy" or more "upbeat" decks (IMO) - all RWS inspired:

Housewives Tarot (as suggested):
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/housewives/
Halloween Tarot (this one makes me laugh every time):
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/halloween/
Gendron Tarot:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gendron/
Sun and Moon Tarot:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sun-moon/
Silhouettes Tarot:
http://www.masaseptember.com/store.html
Monstarot:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/monstarot/

:heart:

And this:

Dear Tanga,

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll go look them up.

Saskia

To me the Ace of Swords says "you re not getting this", Lovers Rx is a disconnection from what your inner self is really seeking and Ace of Wands rx is running out of steam too fast. I don't mean to belittle but are you sure you're getting negative responses or are you just having a pessimistic attitude? Life doesn't just happen to us, we make it: and if you don't believe you can overcome challenges, you won't.

If this is a love gone sour or unreciprocated love, then perhaps find a way to move on instead of pushing a snowball uphill?

page of ghosts

Sorry about the word vomit, I guess I had a lot to say!

I understand that you've learnt to read cards from a specific teacher and book, yet I don't think it's a bad idea to try and branch out and look at other sources. Maybe you get an "aha!"-moment from reading about cards and tarot from a different perspective? There are so many different ways to do this and sometimes I think it's good for us to look at another way. Even if we don't integrate it into our practice fully or at all I believe it is healthy to just get some fresh ideas once in a while. Like I don't shuffle for reversals but sometimes I still get them and I like the idea of reading them as the energy of that card is blocked or weakened for some reason instead of a new, especially doom and gloom meaning (not saying you read them this way, but they can definetely feel that way when they show up).

From the cards you mentioned I didn't know if they were one-time examples or recurring, but I had an experience last year with feeling fragile and getting repetetive bad cards. Something terrible happened to me in my own home 1 1/2 years ago, I didn't feel safe there or in my neighbourhood. I had recently met my current boyfriend too in this mess. When I was reading my cards I kept getting the 7 and 8 of cups a lot which just made me cry so much because I thought it meant I should move on from my relationship. I didn't read a lot of cards because of this. Then last spring I decided I had enough of living in that horrible place (not just because of the memories but also because it wasn't all that fit to live in) and started looking for a new, better appartment. After I moved the 8 of cups finally stopped showing up all the time. So if you get repeat cards there might be something you're just not getting (like the 8 of cups signifying the need to physically move on from a place with lots of bad memories for me, which I had thought about but I hate to move so I kinda hoped I would feel better after some time haha) and so they keep showing up. I've yet to understand the 7 of cups properly, but I am very prone to overthinking and getting lost in my own thoughts which resonates with the fantasy aspect of that card... keep getting the Thinker in my Wisdom of the Oracle deck which I think supports this. Or I am supposed to use my imagination for something? Reading cards is not that easy all the time, especially since I am an introspective reader who mostly read for myself :p

Even if you can definetely apply the meanings to a new deck if you want to I like to look for the differences that might enhance an aspect of the card. Like some Lovers cards are more about the choice you have to make and other are more about duality and union in their depiction. Some decks can be different in the ways they deliver their message. My Morgan-Greer can sometimes be so literal that it's hard for me to see it because I'm looking for symbolism while it's showing me something that's right there :') I like to do interviews to get a feel for what might be a decks strengths too. My RWS is good at illuminating what is true, look for what is hidden and help me make choices, is willing to help me grow and feel balanced and will not be overly harsh, but doesn't really sugarcoat things or look at the past with rosy glasses for me. So I guess it is a fair but strict teacher.

Lastly, to answer your question, I believe if I only got disappointing readings I would do several of these: take a good old break, do some reading in books or the internet to see if there is an approach that is more empowering to these cards, make a spread with the offending card(s) so I can go more in depth to what they mean or a better approach to deal with it. Since I have several decks it is an option to recreate the spread with another deck to see how I would read the cards with that one.

Aesoteric

I seem to have inadvertently poked something sensitive with this question and I apologize; this was never my intent.

SunChariot

I seem to have inadvertently poked sensitive with this question and I apologize; this was never my intent.

Oh. I didn't notice that. It just looked to me like everyone was just honestly answering the question and trying to help. Then again I did not read EVERY single post, so maybe I missed the ones that gave you that impression.

Anyway there is nothing to apologize for. It's a perfectly valid question and one that people at AT have the knowledge and wisdom to help with. You should ask if you have a question like that. That is why we're here as a learning forum.

Babs

Saskia

Hi Aesoteric, it's a shame if you feel people were being defensive or not helpful (as I gather from your apology) - I thought everyone's simply helping to their best ability.

Even if you feel you didn't get answers from this thread, I wholeheartedly recommend getting more teachers or at least reading from more sources about the cards. One person may have fixed views about what cards mean, but no tarot card has one single meaning. They are all multilayered and mean slightly different things in different contexts. I'm worried you might be getting negative answers only because your teacher/your reading style is geared towards seeing the negative - even the most negative cards do have some silver lining.

Also, you mentioned how to prepare for the house burning down (or something along these lines). I understand you want to safeguard for bad news, but the more risks and challenges you see in life, the more there actually are, because that's what you'll notice. When the house didn't burn down, you'll think it's because you took all the precautions - what if it wasn't in a risk in the first place and you worried for nothing? Just food for thought.