Identifying Hoi Polloi edition

Lisa Myobun

Hi folks! I just came across a hoi polloi tarot, without a box and with a little white booklet unlike any I've seen… The cards look and feel like 1970s cards, and the set comes complete with everything I've seen in 1970s-1980s editions: i.e. Two title cards and the four blanks... but it also came with a brown cardboard blank that seems like it protected the LWB. So everything seems exactly like what you'd expect with the 1972 brown "treasure chest" edition – or the 1973+ oblong pink box Reiss games edition … but here it looks as if the deck was sold on its own without a box, with the LWB tucked in with the cards... in addition: the LWB indicates the publisher as "Bell Publishing" and the distributor as "Crown Books."

Any sense of where this edition fits into the deck's history?

7756ca4567d685743911a7996f23e626.jpg

45a56fd4f867065ae19b3b96063ed955.jpg

74a25365d3668c96f820d787e28950ab.jpg

319188094fb415a6ea962be637a8500f.jpg

G6

I have no LWB to go on only the cards and the copyright information is printed the same on my deck as your pictures. One of my cards is printed off-center and when I posted about it others had the same issue with cards printed off-center. Not 100% sure what this tells about which edition, but I felt it was an early or 1st edition issue perhaps.

Lisa Myobun

I have no LWB to go on only the cards and the copyright information is printed the same on my deck as your pictures. One of my cards is printed off-center and when I posted about it others had the same issue with cards printed off-center. Not 100% sure what this tells about which edition, but I felt it was an early or 1st edition issue perhaps.

Thanks G6! None of the cards in my version are
offset (although I should doublecheck). What was the card that had that defect? Do you remember?

The curious part to me is the LWB - with its reference to Bell and Crown Publishing... Sounds like yours is early; but I wonder about mine... I don't think copyright info on cards varies much in these decks...

DustyWhite

Here are pics . . .

I am posting a reply to this AND the request from the other thread that pointed me here. To avoid double posting I will dump the pics and updated information here:

It will be at the bottom of the page in a few minutes (need to grab all of the decks and line them up in order).

:)