Deck of the Week Signup Thread - Week 32 - March 10th - March 17th

Eyebright

I love the Mary-El, though I know I need to come back to it at some point when I'm better placed to appreciate the symbolism, then I think I'll get even more out of the cards :D

AJ

I am not smart or deep and I love the Mary El! Maybe you're so unsmart and undeep that you've actually come full circle, like the Fool, and are *too* smart and deep for the deck. :p

thanks for a really resounding belly laugh. I'm writing this down in my quote book :)

Rolls off......

MountainGirl

Sol Invictus

Finally got some time in with the deck. First a few technical observations:

- nice lidded box, pretty hefty companion book, which I have barely scanned yet
- heavy cardstock, so a rather thick stack of cards which makes it hard to shuffle for me. On the other hand, they are definitely not slippery, which is good.
- The artwork isn't exactly my favorite, it looks a bit, hm, naive? Reminds me of childrens book illustrations. But I do like the "Universe"
- The concept of "God" is applied rather loosely, there are lots of figures from mythology, fairytales and even history (Alexander the Great, Shakespeare) that are not strictly "Gods". I'm ok with that. I'll have to study up on quite a few that I have never heard off before, from cultures I would never have thought to explore otherwise.
- Most cards have one god to represent the meaning, but some have several or just a general description like "creator gods" for the Magician. I think that will make it harder to read than having a focus on one specific god. On the other hand, it may expand the possible interpretations. I'll have to see how that plays out in practice.

I did a deck interview spread, which seemed very positive. I'll post that later.

Blessings,
MountainGirl

Asbestos Mango

I'm having an interesting time with Dame Fortune's Wheel. It's a bit, I don't know, when I read for myself with it. I've done some readings with it in the RX and gotten spectacular results, but when I read for myself with it, it really makes me work. Not unreadable, but it throws me onto my left brain more than I'd like. Maybe it's just because it varies from the RWS enough that I don't have ready-made answers to use as jumping off points. I do like the art, and I like the deck, but it's definitely not giving me an easy ride.

I'm connecting with the Rosetta better than I was last week- I was in a horrible mental state to the point where a couple of times I had to abandon readings and come back to them later when I was in a better frame of mind. I'm feeling better this week, and getting some interesting results when I ask the Universe what it wants to talk about at some ungodly hour of the morning.

I think this two decks a week, one for my daytime/evening readings and one for my insomniac 3:00 am readings is working quite well for me, and I'll have gotten through my collection in the next two or three weeks. I've got some on order from Amazon that aren't due to ship until May (they're holding on to the currently out decks until my pre-orders are released.) When they get here, if my Doreen Virtue Angel Tarot Cards shows up before any of the other decks I've ordered, I'm going to break my self-imposed rule of using new decks in the order I get them so I can sort of review the deck for y'all.

Mi-Shell

Tarot of the Origins:

So:
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:party: :party: :party:
I posted the whole time line through ice age history and archaeology as I see it in and among the cards of the Tarot of the Origins!!!!!
:)
It took me almost 9 hours just to post it- never mind the typing it out.......
Now - - ?? I deserve something!!
Where?? is my reward???
:bugeyed:

Penthasilia

YAYYYYY!!!!!!

Congrats Mi-shell! This is a thread I am very excited to look through- I just received my deck and will be playing with it soon :D

Great work!

vee

*long standing ovation*

Man, I can't wait to read through and digest it!

Elendil

Mary-El Tarot

I am at the half way mark with this week's deck. The Mary-El is heavily laden with symbols and mythic references which often run through several card sequences. The images are not traditional and the minors particularly depart hugely from the familiar. The deck need a lot more time to get to grips with. I like the deck - but it is not an easy read for me. I have tried intuitive readings on the whole because the accompanying book meanders a lot and sometimes the entry for a particular card does not really explain the image chosen. Though I sort of understand the reasoning behind assigning Aquarius (as water bearing angel) to Cups and WATER and Scorpio (as hybrid man/eagle) to Swords and AIR, this still does not sit easily with me. (The elements are not switched - just the signs). I am sure that extended study of the deck would probably make everything a lot clearer - but sometimes the intertextual references are just to other cards with similar symbolism (without explanation).

To give an example: in today's draw I pulled the 6 of Cups. The image is of an angel submerged in/emerging from water. He has crab-claws instead of hands. The claws are not explained fully - they are just referenced to the crustacean normally found in The Moon card in Tarot (although this deck's Moon does not feature the 'traditional image' with the crab emerging from the pool anyway!)

Ho hum...

BodhiSeed

Elendil, I think you are doing a wonderful job with reading the Mary-el intuitively!:heart:

Chiska

I've decided to stop trying to force myself to read with the Pythagorean and to just enjoy the numbers of it all. I have never been able to read with it - but it is a phenomenal deck for studying. Doesn't make sense at all. But I did want a review of numbers and this is working well for that.