The Book of the Law Study Group 2.32

thorhammer

Who are "they"?

I can go with the verse as a whole, but when I know whose words are the ones that are skew-wise that will help me.

An ongoing thanks, Grigori, for your tenacity with this study group :)

\m/ Kat

Always Wondering

I didn't find Crowley's comment in the new comment very satisfying myself.

'Their words' -- the plausible humbug of the newspapers and the churches. Forget it! Allons! Marchons!

Well the church thing I can see. But it still seems a fairly personal comment.

For myself I can see "they" being all "voices of reason", both internal and external.

AW

Always Wondering

It's been slow so I've been poking around on the Study Thread. Thanks Grigory :heart:
I found this in The Commentaries of Liber Al
http://www.hermetic.com/220/index.html

"Their words" —the technical meaning, of course, is the 'word' as a formula of power. The 'words' of the 'Black Brothers' are always, of necessity, skew-wise. But now the words of past Magi are also so — see AL I, 49. They are to the Word of the Aeon of Horus as the Physics of Newton is to the Physics of Einstein. This is very important because of the natural inertia of the mind. Until Thelemic momentum be firmly established in the life of an Aspirant, his mind will continuously tend to fall back into "the pit called Because." He must live as if "Might Be" were "Is'; and persist in this apparently absurd course of conduct until the external world adapts itself to his Will. See LXV, Chapter Five, verses 52-56. The adaptation of the external world to the Will is inevitable if the Will be the True Will, because you are a Star in the Body of Nuit. Infinite Space is a function of you. You are Hadit, and Nuit is your Complement. See AL II, verse 1. This is why "Success is thy proof" (Of course, the reverse idea is also true — you are a function of Infinite Space —See AL I, verse 1. But this merely means that the Third Kind of Magickal Link —see Book Four, Part III—is always present, and a form of the First Kind.)

I am relieved to read I am not the only one swimming around in the pit of because. :|

AW

Grigori

Thanks Kat

Thanks for tracking down that reference AW, great stuff! I was thinking of "they" as a nameless, faceless amalgam of outside voices, or those that like to say "nay". Kind of a generic opposition, so the word "inertia" runs very true for me.

ravenest

This kinda reminds me of 'modern' science, reason and expiriment and logic and process, rational. But when it it ignores the infinate and unknown factor, the full picture cant be explained, the reason, when examined is bullshit or skew - wise.

Steiner, I think, once made a great observation about the microscope; it's a tube for looking at something in minute detail while shutting out the rest of the universe.

Another example is a post I made somewhere about evolution. Scientists claimed life evolved in the 'primal soup' of the early oceans, lightening stimulated chains of long proteins to form and from this evolved the first life. Today they can repeat the experiment, they get a flask, fill it full of supposed early ocean soup, pass an electric current through it and - abracadabra! long chain proteins and amino acid like stuff forms. Then they jump to experiments done with cells, cloning, fertilisation, etc,

The crucial step, which was left out ( the formation of the proteins and acids into cells - or, one could say the factor infinate and unknown) they say scientists will be able to replicate in the future.

They followed a rigid logical and REASONible train of thoughts before, up to and after the crucial point, demanding and showing empirical scientific process and proof ... except for the main crucial point of the whole experiment, which they relagate to some supposed, futuristic, fictional scientists, who will solve the rest of the equation ???? and then put it out into the public dim-wit forum ( Readers Digest, newspapers, etc) as scientific research - on deeper examination = skew-wise in my book.

Oh yeah ! I know who THEY are! ;)

Aeon418

Dogs chase their own tails

ravenest said:
This kinda reminds me of 'modern' science, reason and expiriment and logic and process, rational. But when it it ignores the infinate and unknown factor, the full picture cant be explained, the reason, when examined is bullshit or skew - wise.
It reminds me of a quote from Stephen Hawking's, A Brief History of Time. (p.12)
Now, if you believe that the universe is not arbitrary, but is governed by definite laws, you ultimately have to combine the partial theories into a complete unified theory that will describe everything in the universe. But there is a fundamental paradox in the search for such a complete unified theory. The ideas about scientific theories assume we are rational beings who are free to observe the universe as we want and to draw logical deductions from what we see. In such a scheme it is reasonable to suppose that we might progress ever closer toward the laws that govern our universe. Yet if there really is a complete unified theory, it would also presumably determine our actions. And so the theory itself would determine the outcome of our search for it! And why should it determine that we come to the right conclusions from the evidence? Might it not equally well determine that we draw the wrong conclusion? Or no conclusion at all?