Tarot of the Origins: 10 of Nature

Mi-Shell

10 of Nature

What I find so interesting with this card is, that in the course of this morning I derived at 2 completely different ways of interpreting it. I know, that often happens when we look at a card in 1 reading - and then in another. but this is / feels different: the first interpretation I will post here is based on the mood of the card and what it made me feel and think about,while the 2nd interpretation is derived at from what I KNOW- about the Neolithic, its people and how current paleo-archaeology is interpreting this time of our humble - and also brutal beginnings.

The card is dominated by a huge mask-like face carved into the trunk of a tree. The carving looks weathered and decaying, as if parts of it have broken away already.It is leaning at an angle that speaks of a fall soon to come.
A human figure is leaning against it, as if supporting him/ herself. It seems to be raining and the person, wearing a hooded cape over short length undergarments seems to be exhausted and weary.
The image is held in shades of green, speaking of growth – and of the decay, that comes after the maximum is achieved. The person seems elderly. The person and the once so powerful Tree Spirit are both soon to fall.
The spring rains are here, washing weary souls, soften them for the fall into the Moss below.
Time is running away with the rain water, trickling into the Earth below, to journey on in its never ending cycle.
We, as everything else are a part of this cycle.
So are the “gods” we carve and profess in, they too come and go.
Only the verdant Earth is eternal.
….....................................................................................................................
For me personally: Sometimes I feel weary and in need to lean on to a powerful Spirit, knowing full well, that nothing is ever lasting.

Attachments

• 73-Minor-Wands-10.jpg
    73-Minor-Wands-10.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 93

Mi-Shell

However, when I engage my rational analytical mind, the card also reminds me of something really quite different:
We call the time of our Ancestors living during and after the last ice age the”people of the stone age.”
-??? Only because all we ever found of them were a few remains and a bunch of stone tools.
BUT:
I/ we would only create a tool from stone, if the ones we could make out of wood and leather and fiber do not do the service we need them to do. That however does not mean, that most of the tools and implements and utensils our ancestors used, were not made from wood. Only wood did not last – for our smart archaeologist to find!
But it was there! In massive amounts, together with antler and bone and so I think,it should be called the “Wood age”
imagine, how many stone tools this weary Elder has created and used in his lifetime.... And compare that to how maaaaany wood tools!
So we also could read this card as a reminder, that we only ever get to see a small imperfect part of the whole picture and may be easily mislead....
Let the Tree Spirit remind us of that.

Hemera

This could also be quite a natural formation in that tree and people have started to worship and venerate it after they thought they saw a face in it. This helps them remember the sacredness of Mother Nature. It does not need us humans at all for anything at all, in fact! We can lean on it like the tired man here leans on that tree. (Well as long as there are old trees to lean on..)