Halloween Tarot - 9 of Pumpkins

Skimo

Hello,

The 9 of Pumpkins (Pentacles) shows a red haired woman standing in a garden.
She is richly dressed in the 20's fashion, with a feathered hat, heavy violet and grey dress and a huge brown coat around her arms.
There are an orange pearl surrounded by a fine blue band on the front of her hat, a little blue pearl at the bottom of her left sleeve, an orange crystal suspended on the orange glove she wears on her left hand and a orange crystal surrounded by a fine blue band in the front of her dress.
She has an owl perched on her gloved left hand and her right hand rest on one of the nine big pumpkins behind her.
The cat is just behind her, half hidden by her dress and he looks in the direction of her face and the owl.
The garden is closed by a small wall with iron arrows directed upwards. There a two green hills behind, with a dark big house on the top of the highest one at the right. Nine stars shine in the black sky.

When I look at the card, I can imagine the story of this woman and I try to guess what she thinks.

She would have decided to do a little walk in her garden at night, leaving her sumptuous house behind.
As she has a glove, she is prepared to take the owl on her hand, so it maybe a tamed one she already knows.
Everything is so rich, comfortable around her, but I can't help but imagine her sighing, feeling trapped in her heavy dress, wanting to be like the owl :
free to fly under the "dark lightness of the stars", perceiving all the secrets of the night.

I have drawn this card four times since the beginning of the IDS, including yesterday and the day before as daily draw.
As a pet bird owner, I feel really connected to this card, since it's the only on in the deck showing a woman with a bird.

My mother tongue is not english, if you see a mistake, just tell me, I will correct it.

Queen of Disks

Don't worry!

I've spoken English my entire life, and you should see my spelling! :eek: Americans can mess up the English language very well. :laugh:

I do get the sense that she would like to go flying with the owl or exploring somehow. But I get the feeling she will stay put and keep an eye on her pumpkins. Her clothing is 1920's flapper girl meets the Addams Family. The words "black widow" came to mind when looking at her skirt (it looks like a spiderweb.) Maybe that's why she is by herself...

quintessence

I love this card and somewhat envy her. She seems so contented there. She has a mystical owl to share secrets with, the wall of her garden is patrolled and protected from any harm, and her pumpkins are all happy and doing well. She has a comfortable abundance about her and is dressed in a style that she perceives as her own. She's comfortable with her image. The owl keeps the scenario from becoming too static, as she brings the lady messages of the outside world and the occult. So in the garden of the nine of pentacles, there's satisfactory abundance gained by her own hand, protection from harm, comfortable self-acceptance, and the entertainment of magical communications. I wouldn't mind visiting for a vacay.

canid

She obviously adores her life, evidenced from the owl, the cat, her attire & even the pumpkins. Plus, two arrows point to the comfy dwelling (well, even if a bit skewed off-center, it still looks inviting, doesn't it?) & two other arrows pointing to the stars, keeping her perspective in balance. Love this card! It's gentle yet very powerful.

Girl Archer

wow, I have read with this card so many times and never thought to analyze it in so detailed a fashion. But to me, I also feel like that owl takes away from the sheer materialism and static nature of this card and represents her quest for wisdom, spiritual overtones etc.. Because the owl has been viewed as a symbol of wisdom for a long time now, and because it is a winged creature, it could represent planes of higher consciousness right? Thereby elevating that woman from her mere materialism? Does anyone else think she is a tad bored?

canid

Hey, I like that! Didn't think of the owl that way, but it kind of ties in with the arrows pointing above. Seek ye wisdom...now that you're so comfortable you don't have to worry about physical struggles.

Pam O

... I can't help but imagine her sighing, feeling trapped in her heavy dress, wanting to be like the owl :
free to fly under the "dark lightness of the stars", perceiving all the secrets of the night...

I really like this interesting perspective. This is a perfect example of the cards giving changing messages depending on the person reading and the situation at that point in time. Nice... :)

annik

I like when people look at the same card. Each one will have something that pop up for them in the card. As with the owl, I think of Athena. The woman is indeed in a very stylish 20's outfit. If the card were animated, I could imagine her dancing in the style of the time.

You are not the only one in your situation, Skimo. English isn't my mother tongue either. In high school, my main problem was understanding written English. Coming here will help you practice, for sure!