Hallowquest Lesson Two: The Seeker in the Wasteland

Aerin

The Seeker speaks: "The world is darkening about me. The feet of dancers are stilled: the voicers of singers are silent. Someone must find the sould of the land once more. I travel to restore what has been lost. Oh blackbirds, may your singing be my guide as I step upon the rainbow road of dreams!"

The Fool's Progress (my summary):
This course is based on the unfolding of your own story and its interaction with the larger story of our time - both are important. Our quest is to become empowered to be a more effective actor in the interwoven fabric of life. We will find what we seek only if we give ourselves up to the inner journey. The world sees this as foolish, if we counted the cost none of us would start our inner journey. Part of us must be like the Seeker, listen to the blackbirds if the way is unclear.

The Seekr is still the Fool, fools are wise in ways ordinary people cannot guess (e.g. the lazy youngest son in fairy tales who wins through ingenuity). Fools play games seriously and work playfully.

Going over the abyss needs courage, we have our personal abyss with monsters fears and doubts; most don't look too closely or often in case we get bitten. The choices for the Seeker are: remain in the Wasteland, fall into the abyss, leap over it and enter the unknown landscape. Explore:

1. What is the Wasteland to you?
2. What lurks in the abyss?
3.What do you hope/ think/ feel lies ahead?

Yourself as Seeker:
During the coming quests you will undergo many experiences and awakenings. Before beginning, assess yourself and clarify direction:

1. Who are you as a person?
2. What is your life's purpose? What would you like it to be, if you are unsure?
3. What are your greatest strengths?
4. What are your skills?
What kind of quest are you already on? What do you seek? What do you hope to find/ achieve?
6 What needs the most empowerment in your life right now?
7. What is your seeking style e.g. deadly earnest, plodding, adventurous, cautios, dilatory, swift playful, etc

Tasks:

1. Write an incident from life where you had choices a) wise and b) foolish. Write your story as if you chose the b) alternative, whether or not you actually did. What might the outcome have been? OR tell a stroy where you felt very foolish or disadvantaged, and when the foolishness is revealed turn it round so the foolish action becomes a wise one. Do this either in the first person or as if telling about someone else, maybe as a fairy tale.

2. Select the Seeker from the pack, shuffle and extract a series of cards to create situations which you as Seeker have encountered (use the book meanings or the face value picture as you want). Write a story where the Seeker meets with these situations/ places/ people, using the cards as story components.

3. Create an opening affirmation with which you can start each meditation session e.g. 'From this world to that world, I go to meet (title of card)'

Meditation on The Seeker:

In this lesson you begin meditating on specific cards. The following meditation should be spread over a few days rather than at once. Accept experience and record it, relate seemingly irrelevant images/ feelings to the meditation subject.

1. Without referring to the book, look at the Seeker. What is the general feeling of the card? How do you feel looking at it?

2. Close your eyes and enter the card answering: What is it like being is this landscape? What can you see from this cliff top?

3. Become the Seeker, who can be of either sex. (Or alternatively if this is too hard then question him.) Find out:
Where are you going?
What do you seek?
What are the blackbirds saying to you?
What are the uses of the things you carry: staff, knife, helmet, pendant stone.

4. The rainbow path takes you from your world into the inner worlds. As you explore, be aware of the Rainbow path forming a crossroads facing N, S, E, W. You will be taking each in turn in the next part of the course.

Phew!!! That should keep us busy!

Aerin

Kaz

thanks aerin, for typing this all up again. i hope my hallowquest book will arrive in 2 weeks.
off to printing here......

kaz

Kaz

The Seeker in the Wasteland

To me, the Wasteland is the world around me, my own world, it’s when my life is not lived to its fullest potential.
In the abyss lurk my own doubts, insecurities, uncertenties and fears.
What lies ahead is the discovering of new truths/beliefs and the revalueing of old ones. On the way I might have to deal with “lurkings” from the abyss. Selfexploration.
I am an idividualist that loves looking at things from different angles to discover new understandings, I love learning. I am determined and I trust my own vision of things.

My life’s purpose is to live in the light and find empowerment to do that.
My greatest strengths are courage, perseverance and I dare to make mistakes.
My skills are a great analytical mind, I am creative with my mind and with my hands.
I am on a quest of selfexploration and discovery, I seek the light, and I hope to find empowerment and guidance on my path.
Commitment needs most empowerment in my life right now.
My seeking style is adventurous, but thorough and analytical, mixed with creativity.

Incident:
I left a high payed job in ICT for an uncertain, lowpayed job at a bank. It looked foolish, but for me it was the best thing I ever did for myself, I got my life back after 5 years of being a slave of a career.

Affirmation:
Guide me on this inner quest where I will meet……

The general feeling of this card is one of curiosity, but also of dedication and trust to move ahaed and take the last step on the rainbowpath. I feel encouraged and inspired to do so.

It’s like entering a different world, I can see miles far from this height, and as far as I can see the landscape down there is barren, not very inviting to be in or travel through…..
On the top of the cliff stands the Seeker, one foot on the rainbowpath and one foot still here. If he steps on the path, I won’t be able to see him or the path anymore, but I cannot follow, it’s his path, they both will be gone to another “existance”. He has three guides to show him the way, what is he waiting for?

I am the Seeker, I stand on the rainbowpath with one foot already. I know I should step on it, but the height above the nothing under it is scaring. It’s an irrational fear, coz I am not scared of the height itself, but of falling, and I know I won’t fall if I trust my guides to guide me on my path. When I do, all else is gone, and then it’s just me and whatever I will encounter. The rainbowpath stretches and meanders as far as I can see, and walking it gives me a great feeling, I know I am where I should be, I go where my guides and the path take me, in search for the light. My guides tell me to have faith and trust and I will get where I need to be. I carry my staff for support, and I know how to use it for defense if needed. The knife is a tool of survival you cannot travel without. The helmet is for protection and scooping up water for drinking. The pendant stone is my charm for good luck, but it might come in handy in a trade for something more useful. More I don’t need, the rest I will gather on my way if needed. I seem to approach a crossroad here, there are 4 directions to choose from………

kaz

Aerin

1. What is the Wasteland to you? - The unknown pattern of the meditations and the changes which lie ahead

2. What lurks in the abyss? - My own hopes and fears

3.What do you hope/ think/ feel lies ahead? Greater understanding of myself and my relationship to the Land and the cards

Myself as Seeker:

1. Who are you as a person? I am a pattern finder and healer

2. What is your life's purpose? What would you like it to be, if you are unsure? To create harmony where it is needed while taking joy in confusion

3. What are your greatest strengths? Intelligence, love, perserverence, fun

4. What are your skills? Questioning, learning, creating, patterning

5. What kind of quest are you already on? What do you seek? What do you hope to find/ achieve? Self discovery. I seek ways in which to express and become more of myself in life

6 What needs the most empowerment in your life right now? Confidence in my own abilities compared with others

7. What is your seeking style e.g. deadly earnest, plodding, adventurous, cautios, dilatory, swift playful, etc Playful and earnest: I want to do it right and yet have a lot of fun along the way

(next installment to come)

Aerin

Aerin

Incident: Spooky. I left a very well paid job (in a bank!!!!!) to become self employed. Best decision I ever made, there were quite a few people who called me 'mad' and 'foolish' at the time.

2. Cards as story components - this was fun! I didn't particularly record the stories to post though.

3. Affirmation: "I step through the doorway into the realm of (Card)"

Meditation on The Seeker:

1. The general feel of the card is determination to set out, seeing the rainbow rather than noticing the rain which drenches everything. The point of no return is reached as the Seeker steps onto the Rainbow Path.

2. I can see the land spread out before me, I can see the drop below my feet and also the new territory I may explore. I am also aware of the Rainbow Path as it forms a crossroads. I cannot see the end of each path, it is obscured by mist.

Where are you going? I am going to find the legendary Hallows
What do you seek? I seek enlightenment and healing
What are the blackbirds saying to you? They are encouraging me. They say 'Keep on the Path, do not look down as you step onto it. It will hold you."

What are the uses of the things you carry:
staff - to test my way in front of me, to protect me
knife - use to get food to eat
helmet - to keep me safe in times of danger, to show that I can take care of myself, to carry water
pendant stone - to guide me when all seems lost, to meditate on and put me back in touch with my inner self and the purpose of the Quest.

Aerin

Kaz

thanks for sharing aerin,
i noticed when i posted my thing that some stuff is/was very personal if you can read between the lines, well it's obvious enough. was it like that for you as well?

and, just out of curiosity, what have you started for yourself as self-employement? i thought about that doing it, but i need to earn my own money, so i didn't dare to do it......
would love to hear your story.....

kaz

Aerin

kaz, yes I did find that I had to look quite deeply inside myself to answer the questions. One of the advantages being that this means the course wikll be very useful!

I'm a self-employed coach and facilitator, extremely fortunate to have the love and support of a wonderful partner who is still in full time employment. Would I have done what I did if it wasn't for that - we can survive on one salary if we have to? I think so, it was the right decision, only come to after a great deal of soul searching.

Aerin

Dancing Bear

Wow Just noticed in this thread..it was last posted in , in 2002 ..

well i am reviving it even if i am the only one in it LOL!!

I am going to start this lesson two, but dont have time to finish it completely.. today.!

What is the wasteland to you? all negativety..
What Lurks in the abyss? my doubts and fears.
What do you hope/think/feel lies ahead? my true place in this journey.

Who are you as a person..hmm a load of things.. all good!
What is your lifes purpose.. again i have many goals i wish to acheive and am in this midst of acheiving them all..
What you would like to be? the best i can be at all times..
What are your greatest strengths..again many... being positive! having the ability to help others, to name a couple.
What are your skills..sounds like i am bragging here but again many skills to speak of..
What Quest are you already on? .. K Motherhood is one, becoming a really good medium is another.. becoming a good reader for my clients is another.. and growing and nurturing my relationship with my husband and again with myself. to become and be able to express me!! nearly there :) Becoming successful and known for my readings and seminars.
What do you seek? to become good at all that i set out to do.. skill and will permitting :)
What do you hope to acheive? Peace.
What needs the most empowerment in your life right now.. HMMM!! Dunno! not much really.. i feel i am empowered in all the right areas to enable me to acheive all that i wish..
What is your seeking style..jump in head first , full throttle, hope for the best LOL!!

At times i feel i am the Seeker/Fool

witchychris

What is the wasteland for you? - Things staying as they are? Keep making the same choices and mistakes. Being stuck in a rut.

What lurks in the Abyss? - Failure. Trying a change to make life better but ending up making it worse.

What (do you hope / think) lies ahead? - A breath of fresh air. A happier, less stressful, more fulfilling lifestyle. A more spiritual, earth centred lifestyle.

My self as Seeker

Who are you as a person? - I am independent, (a bit of a loner), practical, an organiser. I am a country person, definitely not at home in towns.

What is my life's purpose? - Don't know. That is one of the things that I hope to discover as a result of this course.

What are my greatest strengths? - Loyalty and devotion to family. Inquisitive.

What are my skills? - Practical, good organiser

What do I hope to achieve? - To get to know the cards better. Also to get to know myself and my life path better.

What needs empowerment most in my life right now? - Work and finances.

What kind of seeker? - Easily distracted.

Incident – I packed in a good job as a manager in a landscape company and sold my house to move 200miles to North Wales with no job planned. It was the best thing we ever did. We love where we live, have good friends and I am now self employed.

My first impression of the the card is one of depression. The sky is grey and because of this everything else has taken on a grey tone. Rain is falling it seems cold. Yet there are signs of hope. The rainbow path is a real injection of colour and has a happy, hopeful feel to it. There is a real feel of movement coming from the rainbow as if it were a fast moving escalator or stream. This is echoed by the flight of the birds. Together they make me feel like something big is starting. Like it is something sudden and unexpected, and yet at the same time something that has been waited for. It reminds me of summer when you can feel the tension in the air of a thunderstorm brewing. You can feel it building and building all day. This card seems like those first scattered drops of rain and faint rumblings of thunder that herald the beginning of the storm. It is like the seeker has known for a long time that something was not right but couldn't put his finger on what and has suddenly had an epiphany.

The staff helps support me physically. However it is also a companion on the road and a symbol of the initial idea of the quest.
The Stone is the same as that making the cliff. It is a remindeer of the wasteland behind me helping to motivate me when things get tough.
The helmet is a symbol of the strength that I have that can help protect me and help keep me going when things get tough.
The knife has a practical purpose around camp but also is a symbol of the fire and energy in me that is needed on the quest.
The blackbirds sing ' Faith, Faith, Faith......' They remind me have faith in myself. I have many skills and strengths I just need to acknowledge them.

Aerin

Oh my goodness. It's really interesting revisiting this. Since then I have had *two" more changes of direction.

I love reading new posts on the thread and thinking about how my own responses are the same/ different.