Dad’s Toolbox Spread

Umbrae

Whenever we (individually or culturally) come across something overly complicated, my wife always says, “That’s what you get when you leave men in charge…”

With this in mind, I have decided to invent:

Dad’s Toolbox Spread (for job related questions)

“Tools” are created by cards. Where tools are actually placed on the reading surface is not relevant – whereas the building of each tool is.

The Hammer: two across, and two placed perpendicular from the center point of the aforementioned two. They are read as one card. They relate to things you are doing now (current projects)

The Screwdriver: two cards are laid vertical, they are read as one, and relate tomorrow’s foundations that you are securing today.

The “Caulk”: three cards laid vertical. They relate to really big recent screw-ups that need to be fixed.

The Level: three cards laid horizontal, read as one. The level represents things you are currently overlooking, or screw ups about to happen if you don't get serious.

The Pliers: five cards laid out in an X relates to positive forces pulling you forward (when read clockwise); and negative influences holding you back (when read counter clockwise).
The center card serves as the significator for this tool.

The Saw: A saw is dangerous and little Johnny might hurt himself. If you must cut wood, call a professional

The Square: Two up, and two across – they must share the same corner card. This tool is read from the corner up for things you are doing to unconsciously sabotage your chances of promotion. Read across (from the corner) for what you are doing to assure success of promotion.

The rule of 3-4-5: Not a Tool per se, but a rule used by guys (it’s a guy thing). It is literally a spread within a spread. We represent the three points (of the 3-4-5) laid out as a triangle with one card at corner one, two (one partially obscuring the other, read as one card) cards at point two, and three cards (one partially obscuring the other, partially obscured by a third, read as one card) at point three. This is read as a PPF spread, and displays dynamics of change related to getting promotions and new jobs.

Pay attention, as this ‘tool’, this is where escapism or ‘rescue-itis’ will appear (folks using their ‘job’ as a proxy for life…i.e. getting married to their jobs).

One need not lay out all the tools, just the tools you need for the job. Of course if you are a man, and like to over complicate things, then by all means this is the spread that celebrates our need to do so!

Enjoy!

firemaiden

Umbrae, does your Dad's toolbox come with a 90 day guarantee, and is there 1-800-HELPDAD line for assistance in interpreting the spread?

( I'm looking forward to trying it)

SongDeva

Umbrae said:
The Square: Two up, and two across – they must share the same corner card. This tool is read from the corner up for things you are doing to unconsciously sabotage your chances of promotion. Read across (from the corner) for what you are doing to assure success of promotion.
[/B]

I'm a girl, so I need a little help.

Two up and Two Across, but must share the same corner card.
Is this 5 cards then? :

XXX
X
X

Or 3:

XX
X

Please 'splain, Lucy.
And by the way, I love this spread!

Sd

Umbrae

Song Deva: a total of either three or five cards is correct! It simply depends on if you are createing a small square or a framing square. I'd suggest beginning with three and working up to five...

lark

Umbrea you forgot the Duct Tape.

That's the card you pull that'll fix anything. :)
But only temperarily.....

Umbrae

Duct tape is not a tool - it's a solution!

Imagemaker

(Not to divert the thread from a great spread, but . . .)

In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, in addition to a towel, everyone should have duct tape. That would indeed solve every problem, I think.

In a duct tape spread, you've have positions of the sticky side, the silver side, and . . . ?

. . . back to the regularly scheduled thread . . .