Books We Actually Use

Barleywine

Great input, everyone! Some of it reinforces my own impressions, some of it is new to me since most of my current library is much older. I see at least three or four that I'll be looking for so far.

Aoife

Not specifically tarot, but always within easy reach _The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols_ Chevalier & Gheerbrant.

A book I'd wanted to read for years but had been out of print, recently reissued for kindle _Pictures from the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary_ Sandra A Thomson.

Also, reached-for more often than I might have expected _Tarot Reversals_ Mary Greer.

Well worth a read -
_The Magical World of the Tarot: Fourfold Mirror of the Universe_ Gareth Knight
and
_Marseille Tarot_ Camelia Elias

Barleywine

Not specifically tarot, but always within easy reach _The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols_ Chevalier & Gheerbrant.

A book I'd wanted to read for years but had been out of print, recently reissued for kindle _Pictures from the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary_ Sandra A Thomson.

Also, reached-for more often than I might have expected _Tarot Reversals_ Mary Greer.

Well worth a read -
_The Magical World of the Tarot: Fourfold Mirror of the Universe_ Gareth Knight
and
_Marseille Tarot_ Camelia Elias

Thanks for the feedback!

I have Cirlot's A Dictionary of Symbols, Philosophical Library, reprinted 1981

I have Knight's book but think I prefer his Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism

Tarot Rversals is on my list to buy as well as Mary's court card book

Marseille Tarot by Elias I have read, but haven't started working with TdM much yet.

I will take a look at Pictures from the Heart for my Kindle.

BodhiSeed

I've got a small selection by mostly well-known authors (already listed). But there is an ebook I turn to when I'm having one of those early morning, haven't had my coffee moments when my brain is refusing to cooperate: Ricklef's "Pithy Tarot:"
https://jamesricklef.wordpress.com/products/pithy-tarot-ebook/
It's mostly just a bunch of quotes cobbled together for each card, but sometimes it's just what I need to shake the cobwebs loose. :)

Barleywine

But there is an ebook I turn to when I'm having one of those early morning, haven't had my coffee moments when my brain is refusing to cooperate: Ricklef's "Pithy Tarot:"
https://jamesricklef.wordpress.com/products/pithy-tarot-ebook/
It's mostly just a bunch of quotes cobbled together for each card, but sometimes it's just what I need to shake the cobwebs loose. :)

This reminds me of an excellent book I have by James Sturzaker, Kakbbalistic Aphorisms, that "cobbles together" a bunch of related ideas for each of the Major Arcana. I don't think it's readily available now.

AJ

two by Echol, Mueller, & Thomson are the only RWS books I still keep at hand.

Spiritual Tarot and The Heart of the Tarot
I've had many dozens make their way across my desk though and retained bits and pieces of them all.

I've only been working with the Thoth for about two years so close at hand I have

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth, DuQuette. If I do another full immersion study I'll certainly get the rest of his books
Thoth Companion by Snuffin
Keywords for the Crowley Tarot by Banzhaf and Theler

Barleywine

two by Echol, Mueller, & Thomson are the only RWS books I still keep at hand.

Spiritual Tarot and The Heart of the Tarot
I've had many dozens make their way across my desk though and retained bits and pieces of them all.

I've only been working with the Thoth for about two years so close at hand I have

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth, DuQuette. If I do another full immersion study I'll certainly get the rest of his books
Thoth Companion by Snuffin
Keywords for the Crowley Tarot by Banzhaf and Theler

Two more I will look for. Thanks!

I've read DuQuette's book but it didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me (kind of like "lite" beer), so I went right back at the Book of Thoth. I really should get the Snufin book since many here have endorsed it. "Keywords" I already have and use.

earthair

Sacred Tarot - Zain has lived on my dinner table for months now, slightly covered in crumbs and other foodstuffs because I read while I eat.
Regardie - GD brick with about 5 bookmarks on the tarot sections! Spine is getting a bit fragile in that area :rolleyes:
78 Degrees of Wisdom- still enjoy dipping into it :)
Snuffin and The BOT if I'm feeling Thothy.

Tigerangel

I only have 3 tarot books, two are deck specific books for the Crows Magick and the Cosmic, my general book is the tarot bible by Sarah Bartlett, and I find it handy to look up the keywords for cards I'm having difficulty with though I hardly ever use it anymore.

Barleywine

I only have 3 tarot books, two are deck specific books for the Crows Magick and the Cosmic, my general book is the tarot bible by Sarah Bartlett, and I find it handy to look up the keywords for cards I'm having difficulty with though I hardly ever use it anymore.

The Tarot Bible is beautifully produced, if I recall correctly. I'm thinking of getting it for that alone.