So what are your particular methods for using the cards? - what rituals?

214red

no rituals

whats riffling? whatever it is i want to try it....:)

i find rituals hard to always follow, i prefer to ask the cards to play nicely and help me.
if i started a ritual i would feel like i couldnt read without it, and you cant always bring a candle, insense to the local cafe or park etc

Feretian

214red said:
whats riffling? whatever it is i want to try it....:)
It's that flappity thing dealers do...cut the cards, hold one side in each hand, bend the heck out of them, and fflllliiiffff! them together.

HighPriestesss

Feretian said:
It's that flappity thing dealers do...cut the cards, hold one side in each hand, bend the heck out of them, and fflllliiiffff! them together.

Every time I do that, the cards go flying in every direction!

Feretian

HighPriestesss said:
Hold the cards against the table- your thumb and the inside of your forefinger bend the cards up, and your ring and pinky fingers hold the cards on the table...

I can do it holding the cards in the air, but it took practice, and I wasn't learning on a tarot deck- they are much harder to riffle than standard playing cards.

214red

HighPriestesss said:
me too, last time i tried was in a well known coffee chain and the cards not only fell out of my hands they ended up in an arrow formation at a guys feet

Feretian

214red said:
me too, last time i tried was in a well known coffee chain and the cards not only fell out of my hands they ended up in an arrow formation at a guys feet
Did you read them where they fell?:D

214red

if he was good looking i would have....:p

xhollysue

When I'm doing live readings, I have a sheet that is divided into 8 squares, and each square has a word in it relating to an area of a person's life: relationships, money, career, health, etc. I have them sit in the room alone for 5 minutes and just write down anything that's going on in their lives or in their heads.

Then I come back in the room and I never look at the sheet or ask them what their question is.

I shuffle a few times and then I pass the deck over to them and have them shuffle as long as they feel like it. Then I deal.

For me, having them write down whatever's going on makes them open up energetically to me, and eliminates a lot of the "test the reader" vibes that people sometimes have. Just by writing it all out, they kinda of calm down and get into their own meditative and focused state.

I also have a small soapstone owl (earth), and then I like to burn incense (air), a candle (fire) and have a glass of water on the table. It's fun to feel all rounded like that. Reminds me to stay balanced and trust my ability to see the unseen (Owl).

HighPriestesss

xhollysue said:
When I'm doing live readings, I have a sheet that is divided into 8 squares, and each square has a word in it relating to an area of a person's life: relationships, money, career, health, etc. I have them sit in the room alone for 5 minutes and just write down anything that's going on in their lives or in their heads.

Then I come back in the room and I never look at the sheet or ask them what their question is.

I shuffle a few times and then I pass the deck over to them and have them shuffle as long as they feel like it. Then I deal.

For me, having them write down whatever's going on makes them open up energetically to me, and eliminates a lot of the "test the reader" vibes that people sometimes have. Just by writing it all out, they kinda of calm down and get into their own meditative and focused state.

I also have a small soapstone owl (earth), and then I like to burn incense (air), a candle (fire) and have a glass of water on the table. It's fun to feel all rounded like that. Reminds me to stay balanced and trust my ability to see the unseen (Owl).

Oh, how cool! So when you deal the cards, are they spot on every time?

xhollysue

I feel confident every time I read them - and I almost never get that awkward "Um, what was this reading supposed to be about" feeling. So much of the experience depends on the reader's openness.

(The only time I DO get that awkwardness is if like 60% of the cards are courts. Ugh that drives me crazy - I can handle 30-40% courts, but anything more makes me cringe.)