9 Epees (Swords) - how may it be read?

jmd

The nine of swords is a strange looking card in many ways, for its central sword is the only one of the series that looks relatively short (in comparison at least): a little reminiscent of a Roman Sword (or known by its country of origin, Spain, as the gladius Hispaniensis).

For myself, a nine may often represent a wish or an aspiration to something, and thus may indicate that the wished for situation is being indicated, rather than the situation itself. The will-desire into the event is either being met with energy and determination, or, depending on its setting, as held back and unwilling to engage in transforming the mere desire by attendand action.

I have attached the Hadar and the Payen versions...

Attachments

• Payen 9 E.jpg
    Payen 9 E.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 189
  • Hadar 9 E.jpg
    Hadar 9 E.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 187

Moonbow

The number nine, to me, shows a kind of contentment or satisfaction, as though lessons have been learnt and are ready to be presented. I see it as representing a culmination of ideas and thoughts, ready for a decision to be made, as though things are starting to come together. This is represented by the loose flowers, two of which, become the hilts of the swords in the ten.

tmgrl2

jmd, I like the reference to the appearance of the sword as being shorter than the others.

I just finished posting on the 8 of Swords. Where I see that as two 4's and as a very solid stable card of "success" in all material aspects, I also see it as a card that can hold one back by the satisfaction one has from such solidity and harmony.

The Nine of Swords, though, shows effort toward breaking out of the 8, an attempt to pierce through a comfort zone in a desire to achieve even higher goals. I feel that there is another movement here, one towards a greater purpose in one's destiny.

Self-fulfillment is possible but not without some struggle, not without having to "break through" the success one feels one has achieved.

Here, in the 9, we have a Sword in the center, working for us whereas, in the 8 of Swords, the central image is the flower...makes me think of the old merry-go-round rides where one tried to grab the ring as the merry-go-round passed it.

The rose is the great work, the goal, but it was "encased" within the eight swords, smug and safe, almost like a nut within its shell.

But with the Nine of Swords, we break the shell to find the sweetness of the nut. We must let go of some Ego, of some sense of self as having achieved and having become strong and centered. This 9 requires that once again, we must be patient with ourselves, compassionate, as we begin the move to a more selfless level of our life or work.

Brotherhood, rather than self-aggrandizement, compassion rather than self-satisfaction is to me what the nines are about.

As Air/Intellect I am reminded of the Wisdom of the Hermit coming out from his cave. The Nine of Swords says,
"I have more knowledge now and know that I have more to do. I am not done. I must step off the cliff again, but I will not lose all that I have learned to date. It is within me and has made me strong."

I looked at the Hadar as I reflected, so, thanks, jmd for the image.

terri

Merci, jmd, for beginning these threads.

I find that as I am looking at the cards now and simply reflecting that more is "coming together" for me as I progress in my learning and study of the Tarot de Marseille.

Plus, we have the added bonus of being able to read multiple takes from other readers on the same card.

Paul

I see the nine's through the eyes of Chaldean or Vedic numerology -- a number of power, will, ruled by Mars. Of course, Mars is good at conquering...but, then what? Indeed, the 10's carry the energy of Mars to its ultimate culmination. Thus, I see the 9 of Swords as representing a surge of power or initial success of something in the swords milieu.

I see the swords as representing the 3 P's: Planning (Paperwork), Politics, Power. Alright, perhaps another P - Pain, i.e. the type of "burn" one feels when exercising, no pain no gain. It's that pain one feels when filling out real estate paperwork to get the house, for example.

Depending on the subject matter of the reading, the Nine of Swords often represents a surge of advantage or initial success with something the client is planning, some type of political wrangling, or a surge of Power to see a solution through to the end.

This card came up for me when I first became licensed in my career, as an example. It took a lot of training and supervision to get there - it was a NIne moment.