5 Coupes - how may it be read?

jmd

One of the fascinating representations of this card is its Visconti-Sforza version, in which the fifth (or first?) top Coupe, as the tenth is in the Marseille, on its side.

As I tend to see fives as often indicating a creative impulse, the five coupes (and I revert now to the Marseille) may indicate that not only alterations and change, but a liveliness of social or personal import is taking place.

The grace and movement of the Hadar version is absolutely stunning... but attach, for the sake of viewing, a non-Marseille very early card as I mentioned it: the Visconti-Sforza.

Attachments

• 5 C V-S.jpg
    5 C V-S.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 241

Moonbow

This is quite a 'busy' card in that there are flowers of varying types, fruit and leaves at different stages. The stem of the fruit seems to be 'growing' from behind the central cup, perhaps something fruitful is going to emerge. Five is an energetic and extrovert number to me, and this is shown well in the foliage. I also just love the two flowers either side of the central cup, giving the card an expressive almost happy feel - but this would depend on the situation as emotions can run very high in all directions.

In a reading this could be read as puting immense effort into a relationship, or situation, it could also indicate a messy situation or turmoil.

Jewel-ry

I see fives as the bridge between the stability of the four and the search for harmony of the six so it has a transitional feel to it.

The four very much represents our 'real' world and so I think this card represents finding something within that world which moves us emotionally or spiritually. Something which excites us and is being expressed or nurtured in the centre of the card. It needs special care and attention in order to move on and find its feet (and therefore the balance and harmony of the six). It may be that a relationship is beginning to flourish (human or spiritual) or a special interest is beginning to inspire us to greater things.

Its that uncertain feeling we get when things are still new, when we get excited by the potential of a new hobby, a creative enterprise, a relationship. Its movement, excitement and novelty.

:)

tmgrl2

In the Hadar and Camoin decks, instead of the fifth cup being at the top as in the image jmd posted, we have two at the top, two at the bottom...Jewel-ry's "preparation in moving away from the fours.

I also see the three at the top as a "trinity" of cups, and the two at the bottom as a "duo"...so

odds and evens, order and disorder...if one is in a period like this, compassion often rises to the forefront for the person experiencing a five of "cups."

The floral richness suggests a period of growth spiritually and/or emotionally but perhaps a rapid growth, a period of time of too much energy, nervousness, ups and downs, but clearly one of rich development.

I see this as a time in which one must develop a sense of devotion and spirituality in order to keep the emotional in balance and in order to allow the growth to take place.

terri

Sophie

Life and growth breathes through this card. From the middle cup that has broken out of the stability - the stagnation maybe - of the four, spring elegant leaves and a straight stalk that ends in a kind of beehive - a symbol of activity since antiquity. At the same time, that precious creative middle cup is gently embraced in heart-shaped vines ended with two sky blue flowers, which protect but do not stifle.

So the structure is both stable - with four cups at each corner like four legs of a table, or the four limbs of a human, and the fifth, untamed, expansive, a welling up of feeling, of love, of mysticism, of anger and pain too, maybe - since this is a tremendous release after the four. It can be that new poem that springs up unsought during a business meeting, or a love affair in the middle of a staid marriage, an interest in a new religion, or a movie that sudenly makes you cry and change your life, after years of resisting emotion.

I see V related both to V-Le Pape, and XV-Le Diable. So yes, a transition, a crossing - emotional, mystical, artistic - which can be happy or sad or both: but will leave us emotionally full, that is for sure; but also facing temptation, breaking emotional or religious taboos, delving deep into our psyche: it can be that moment in therapy when you tear through past constructed barriers and access something instinctual and raw; it can be the time when you leave a man you've been married to for 25 years, because you met your soul mate during dance lessons; or when you write with power, from the gut, without censoring yourself; it can also be taking drugs to enhance your emotions, reach a high, or hallucinogenics to experience the psyche in full; it can be plunging into drink. Cups are receptive - so this card can show you receiving that mystical vision or revelation.

Herzog

An emotional event -good or bad- requiring our immediate attention. A disruptive change for sure. The four outer cups turn to the fifth and groan, "everything was going great until you came along!"

Herzog

Could also indicate a recovering alcoholics temptation to drink

itrocksmyworld

The Card Of Schism

In my system (The Taro Of Longevity), the Five of Cups represents Schism, in which a stability of emotional life, relationship, or even relationship with self, comes to a bifurcation, a splitting apart... the Upright or Inverted meanings have to do with acceptance or denial of these critical emotional experiences....

In the ToL numerology, Fives are numbers of Agency, Transition, Necessary Lessons, Perspective Shifts.... as well as Crisis, Dilemma, Unforeseen Circumstance, and Imbalance....

possible Upright interpretations for the Five of Cups (so far):
Growing apart in relationship, Needing space, Implosion, Repressing one's own needs

possible Inverted interpretations:
Self-defeat, Grounds for divorce, Jealousy, Possessiveness, Frustration in connection, Emotional block, Torn Asunder

peace

Nolan ;-)