Vieville through Beginner's Eyes

Debra

I've been looking at the Vieville tarot with "beginner's mind" (meaning: trying to stay open to its reality and coincidentally not bothering with any of that tiresome research). I hope you'll pardon me when I state the obvious or something already noted by others. As a beginner in the eternal "now," I'm blithely ignoring history.

1. Colorforms

So cubist! The lines themselves are enough, but the color blocks put the cubism over the top. Here is Vieville's Papess and Georges Braques "Woman with Guitar."

I love the little squiggles in the Papess's book. If we didn't know it was a book, we wouldn't know! One wonders what's that behind her head. Odd color choices mean that Judgment's angel loses its halo but gains a black Jackie O style pillbox hat.

Attachments

• JV papess.jpg
    JV papess.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 238
  • braque_mujer_con_guitarra.jpg
    braque_mujer_con_guitarra.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 230
  • jv last judgment.jpg
    jv last judgment.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 224

Debra

More mystery: All the characters with clothing, save one, have uncolored hands and faces. The naked human figures (Death, the Sun, Judgment, the World) are all colored tan, as is the Fool's face (but not his hands).

What's on the Bateleur's table? The objects always seem a bit odd, but surely these are the most confused of them all—a transparent box? Here's an image by Picasso to go along.

Attachments

• jv bateleur .jpg
    jv bateleur .jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 219

Debra

2. Hands and toes

Fingers and fingernails! This tarot has lots of detail on the hands, although almost all of the hands are oddly drawn (fingers all wobbly or askew). Yet there are lovely fingernails where fingernails belong, and Strength (somehow number IX) has cute little toenails on her cartoony naked foot which is wrapped by the tail of the lion she's suspended by the jaw.

Is that a ribbon around the woman's wrist? How did the lion end up in such a state? What's the little loop down by the lion's rear end? Note its lovely long claws.

The Fool's little doggie also has clearly defined paws and claws. How odd that such a detail is so well-done and yet the poor dog's face is smooshed up against the fool's thigh in a most uncomfortable and unrealistic fashion.

Speaking of hands, any idea why the Hanged Man has fingers coming out of his shoulders?

Attachments

• JV strength.jpg
    JV strength.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 190
  • jv fool.jpg
    jv fool.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 183
  • jv hanged man.jpg
    jv hanged man.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 175

Debra

And another cubist moment, with Temperance. I love how she's half-and-half. What's that she's saying: SOL AMAE? (Oh help I've got no Latin.) Here's Georges Braque again, too.

Attachments

• jv temperance.jpg
    jv temperance.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Braque Figure.jpg
    Braque Figure.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 168

Debra

3. Letters and numbers.

Why are all the "s" letters cut backward on this tarot? Was the artist(s) illiterate?

And speaking of numbers, it looks like the fella who cut the numbers was confused or careless or without clear instructions. The Hanged Man only hangs if his "XII" is reversed and in the lower left (rather than upper right) corner. And Justice = VII, Chariot = VIII, Strength = IX, Hermit = XI. (The Hermit, with his staff in one hand and his, um, "what the heck IS that?" in the other.)

Attachments

• jv hanged man.jpg
    jv hanged man.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 159
  • jv hanged man hanging.jpg
    jv hanged man hanging.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 173
  • jv hermit.jpg
    jv hermit.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 190

Debra

I love that the Trumps are not labeled. Without writing, and with their numbers crammed in somewhere at the top as an apparent afterthought, the figures dominate the cards. They're barely contained by the borders. Indeed, the overlaid colors sometimes extend beyond the border, as if both the color and the characters simply refuse to stay put.

Debra

4. Many anatomical puzzles here. The Bateleur's table is wonky—that's true of other Marseilles decks—but how do his legs fit in to the picture?

The Wheel of Fortune is totally impossible.

Look at Death. Which leg is forward, which is back?

In the World, does the dancer's staff disguise a penis? If not, why no breasts?

Attachments

• jv bateleur .jpg
    jv bateleur .jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 174
  • jv wheel of fortune.jpg
    jv wheel of fortune.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 172
  • jv death.jpg
    jv death.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 179
  • jv world.jpg
    jv world.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 185

Debra

The King of Cups has beautifully rendered feet, and the King of Coins wears stunningly stylish slippers.

But which way are the Page of Batons' feet pointing? Cover the bottom half of the body—he's facing away. Cover the top half. Whoops.

Attachments

• jv king of cups.jpg
    jv king of cups.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 177
  • jv king coins.jpg
    jv king coins.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 168
  • jv page batons.jpg
    jv page batons.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 169

Debra

5. Faces.
Every face is absolutely unique and utterly expressive. The Queen of Coins is psychotic. The Empress has indigestion or the vapors—she looks all used up. Justice smirks apologetically.

The charioteer AND his horses AND his epaulet are all smiling with the self-satisfaction available only to the stunningly handsome. The charioteer has good hair, too, unlike the Empress, who looks like hers was pounded with a rock. No wonder she's queasy.

Attachments

• jv queen coins.jpg
    jv queen coins.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 182
  • jv Empress.jpg
    jv Empress.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 168
  • jv justice.jpg
    jv justice.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 174
  • JV chariot.jpg
    JV chariot.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 177

Debra

One wonders why the crosses atop the Empress and Emperor's orbs are so unconvincing.

The Pope has no cross, but he does have a couple of pagan idols behind him.

I give up.

Attachments

• jv emperor orb.jpg
    jv emperor orb.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 170
  • jv empress orb.jpg
    jv empress orb.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 170
  • jv pope.jpg
    jv pope.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 173