Tarot Tour of Italy

Teheuti

I can't tell you how amazing the Tarot Trip to Italy with 30+ other tarotists is turning out to be. We went to the Palazzo Schifanoia two days ago to see the signs and decanates painted there. What an incredible room it must have been, and obviously one that was expected to have an effect on the psyche. But the next room was the real killer. It is similar to the inner sanctum of an Egyptian temple, in that Borzo d'Este could retire there to align himself with the virtues and absorb their energy in a kind of apotheosis, after traveling through the seasons and all the gods in the previous room.

Today we visited the Isis Temple in the Church of San Stefano in Bologna. It's hard to give the sense of how the alchemists, masons, Templars and Jews were all integrated in these cities - especially from around the 13th to 15th centuries. In Ferrara there were 5 Synagogs each created for Jews from different places who came together in a relatively small town for a period of around 300 mostly prosperous years before they were driven out in 1567. By masons - I'm referring to the guilds of builders, but they put their special marks on everything.

This is to say nothing of Osvaldo Mennegazzi's shop or the Museo die Tarocchi were we had a party with Hermann Haindl and his wife and a group of Italian tarotists.

Ricardo came by our hotel in Milan from Lo Scarabeo with a couple of others and brought presents. He'll be joining us at the castle where we will be staying for six days.

I'll try to get photos when I can figure out how to load them from my iPad. Oh, and we saw the hanged men near the Devil who is devouring men from The Basilica di San Petronio. It's hard to keep track of all the amazing sights or remember which photo is from where. We are seeing so much!

Mary

Teheuti

Am headed toward Siena. Staying in a castle in the area. What tarot things should I see in Siena on my day off? The Duomo is part of the tour - other things.

Ross G Caldwell

Am headed toward Siena. Staying in a castle in the area. What tarot things should I see in Siena on my day off? The Duomo is part of the tour - other things.

Wish I could be there too, Mary!

Of course you have to see the Palazzo Pubblico for Lorenzetti's frescoes, as well as the whole complex of old halls and the chapel. Plenty of Tarot-related imagery, but unfortunately no photography is allowed. The Piazza of course as well, the fountain at the top has all the Virtues.

Also the Church/Basilica of Santa Maria dei Servi,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_dei_Servi,_Siena

A bit of a walk (still in town though), but the 15th century art makes it worthwhile.

I don't know how much time you have there, but if you can wander a bit (after the other two I mentioned!) then there is/was an American bookseller with a lot of good books when you go up to the left after exiting the Duomo. She has lived in Siena for ages and knows everything.

Ross G Caldwell

"There's a really good English bookstore in Siena, Italy. It's called Book Shop and is at Via San Pietro 19, which is very near the Duomo, right in the center of town. The owner, Lisa, originally from the USA, is a charming, friendly, welcoming young woman."

That's the one. I haven't found a website yet.

Ross G Caldwell

In the Museo Civico (in the Palazzo Pubblico), here are some notes I took (because you can't take pictures):

Chapel - medallion with Temperance (named) with an hourglass (stand at the altar, with your back turned to it, and look up to the right)

Chapel - Faith (virtue) shown with hexagonal halo, pouring liquid on two figures

Chapel - Prudence has an eye in her forehead, hexagonal halo and holds a book left and a globe right.

Arch frescoes in Sala di Balia look like Giovanni dal Ponte.
Main wall scenes were done by Spinello in 1407-1408.

Cerulean

How lovely--did you guys get to see the Sola Busca?

In Post #9, Dr. Arcanus said that the Brera museum (very shortened name) in Milan bought the deck/plates near to the date of January 2010 and should be exhibiting them sometime...

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=143825

...but I never heard of anyone since then say they saw/heard or could find any exhibit notes or recent photos of the deck in the Pinoteca di Brera Museum

http://www.brera.beniculturali.it/

Best wishes on your lovely explorations!

Cerulean

Teheuti

Only have a couple of minutes as we are leaving soon for the Tarot Garden. The Sola Busca cards were not on view at the Brera. we were given a tour by Dr. Milano, but because there were 30 of us, we were not able to see the cards in the reading room.

Went to Siena yesterday. The whole floor of the Duomo was uncovered! Magnificent! Amazing! Overwhelming! Then the Palazzo Pubblico. Saw the virtues that Ross mentions and even got some pictures of Good and bad government - others were taking pictures, so I did too. The Palazzo has the best examples of the effect on someone of the brilliantly colored fresco walls - where the people were 'primed' for the proper attitude when coming before civic officials.

Got this huge book about the Duomo pavement.

Have to go now. So much to see . . .

Teheuti

Florence yesterday for the Uffizi Gallery and the Francesco Clemente exhibit. Fabulous! I got a big book that shows all 78 of his cards - each suit in a different artistic technique and fresh interpretations of the cards, although some are inspired by bits of Thoth, RWS and Marseilles.

Now back to Siena.

Pollux

Teehee!
It's weird to consider it tarot-related imagery...
It's more the other way about: medieval culture and imagery went into tarot, isn't it?

You have not missed the exhibit in Florence, I want to go and see that soon (I'll make it hapen when I go to Florence for a live gig by Anna Calvi in a couple of weeks).

Don't miss the Tarot Garden in Capalbio!
http://www.nikidesaintphalle.com/

And there's a beautiful Garden of Monsters going down towards Viterbo - it might be too much off road though, don't know where you're headed.
http://www.parcodeimostri.com/eng/entra.asp