Morgan Greer Favourite Card and Why?

Jewel-ry

Ok guys,

Now I know there are a few of you who love this deck (calling Emily, Sulis, Waleswoman where are you??). I have only had this deck a week. It is brilliant! I wouldnt trade it for anything. the more I look at it, the more I appreciate it. I want to know which is your favourite card/s and why?

I've just been mesmerised by Justice, she sits bolt upright, all those rich colours in her outfit, her face, knowing, intelligent, and serene? Just beautiful. So simply drawn but just oozing with meaning.

I could actually list loadz of cards which I love but I'm going to give someone else a chance.......

Jewel-ry

Le_Corsair

The 2 of Swords is my favorite card in the Morgan-Greer, as it is in many other decks. I think that the symmetry of the image in this card is what does it for me; the moon is pretty much the only asymmetrical element. A very orderly card.

As someone who has held broadswords, though, I have to report that if the girl was holding two swords in the position she is shown in, it would not be with the effortless quality shown in the card. Oh, well! It's still a lovely image.

Bob :THERM

Jewel-ry

Le_Corsair,

I love this card too! What I liked about it is the shimmering water, if you look at the card under a dim light, it actually looks like real water, so clever!

Jewel-ry

Emily

I too have so many favourite cards in this deck its hard to single one out - The Sword Queen is a very big favourite of mine especially since she was discussed in the other thread, its made the card alot easier to read.

But another favourite is The Fool. I like this card because to me it really signifies what the Fool is about. He's young, his little dog is jumping up but not biting as you see in some decks - it looks like a companion and not something that is trying to hold the Fool back, the Fool looks forward not especially seeing where he is going, just eager to get going lol - The white rose he carries has thorns and is clutched in his hand but he doesn't notice them, too eager to find out the wonders of the world, to go on his adventure. He looks at peace, not worried, this adventure doesn't worry him but he isn't foolhardy lol, the sun is behind his back. It's a nice card to look at. :)

WalesWoman

I think it the 2 of Swords and the Lovers that made me choose this deck over others when deciding which to get to learn with. It's still my only deck and the more familiar I become with it, the more I like it.
I find it kind of "funny" that the Queen of Swords looks so much less formidable than Wands or even Pentacles. It's like she didn't choose this role at all and must bear with it, it gives her no pleasure to wield this sword and almost appears to be offering it to the querant. An appeal to use the sword and compassion because she understands how much it may hurt to do so.

I don't much care for the visual image of the Devil and don't particulary care for the image of the Hierophant. His hat, altho' symbolic of elevated thinking, the hierarchy of traditional institutions and education, etc is sort of silly looking. Like a lego layercake. He just doesn't do anything for me and seem to get an instant blank when I look at him and force myself to remember meanings rather than "intuitive" feeling of what he represents just looking. Others can inspire so much thought and feeling, he does not at all.

Sulis

I love the simplicity of this deck. I love the rich, deep colours and I like the 70's style art.

Favorite card....... I reckon it's between The Moon, 3 Cups and The Lovers.

Love and light

Sulis xx

Myrrha

Death

This is surprising to me because it is one of the cards that kept me from liking the deck before, but as much as I like the Moon, Nine of Pentacles, Ace of Cups (and all the blue cards!) my favorite in this deck is Death.

I like the simple drama of the card and especially the long eerie road behind the figure. To me it symbolizes the road into the unknown that comes after the kind of changes indicated by this card. There is renewal here, but it can't be seen yet, you have to walk that road first.

--Myrrha

Thea Lynx

LIke others, I have a very difficult time choosing just one card as my favorite. But, I have always been drawn to the Queen of Swords as my significator (even before I started studying Tarot and one looked through decks, this card stood out for me) and I find her presentation in Morgan Greer is one of the most evocative I've seen. Other than that, I have to admit I usually decide my feelings on a deck based on the High Priestess, which is my soul card.

One problem I've had with my Morgan Greer deck - which hasn't come up in any other deck yet - is that when I shuffled, some of the paper layers started to skin off - Kind of like when you are trying to peel a label off of something and itgets more & more flimsy as you peel it. I am planning on getting another deck just to use for replacement cards since I don't want to lose the energy already built up in the deck. Funny, it was the 4 of Swords that peeled the worst, (a couple of others are a little ragged around the edges too)- it's one of my favorite cards in any deck. I wonder if I've just gotten hold of a deck that wasn't made quite up to standard.

Thea

Emily

Hi Thea,

I noticed that the cards were made up in layers too. None of my other decks are made like this. My deck is looking a little ragged too. When I first received it, a couple of the Sword cards had been cut badly and were too big - but a steady hand and sharp craft knife soon put them right.

But it does look like the deck was cut with a blunt blade, especially on the corners but the deck is standing up well to constant use and hasn't got any worse. I don't notice these little flaws now but I am going to try and get the Morgan Greer in a different language, hopefully Italian. :) - How long have you had your deck, maybe you could get in touch with US Games, they might send you replacement cards. :)

Thea Lynx

Hi Emily,

Actually, this is a brand new deck - only had it a couple of weeks and it was the first time I had worked with it. So, I think it must be a fluke fragile deck and my best bet is to get a 2nd deck for replacement purposes - especially if the cards that get ragged are the ones that speak loudest to me.

Italian? I didn't know it came in any other language but English (OK, so I'm a culturally deprived American). I have several decks that have phrases on them in several different languages, but none devoted to any one other than English. Maybe I should try German - studied that a bit in high school and university - I do have an out of print Kabbalistsches Tarot that I was drawn to when I first started collecting decks. I have also discovered that some of my decks are "working" and others are just for the beauty of them & do not call to be worked with at all.

Interesting thing was that I first saw Morgan Greer in Taror class and was not really that interested in it. It was only after I passed up on buying it that I suddenly had the absolute need to own it.

Thea