RWS pocket question

3ill.yazi

I'm thinking about getting a pocket sized RWS, but I'm hesitant because I have purchased the pocket sized universal waite, and I was disappointed at how flimsy it was. Anybody with the pocket RWS who can weigh in on the quality of the card stock?

dancing_moon

I don't have the pocket size RWS, but if it's the one by Lo Scarabeo, I have their Egyptian Tarot mini. The paper feels thinner and unlaminated as compared to my regular size Lo Scarabeo decks. However, I don't see any problem with that, it still feels like good playing card paper, and it's actually convenient, because I can hardly imagine shuffling a pocket size deck having the thickness (and slickness) of a regular deck.

Anyway, if the pocket RWS you have in mind is the same publisher as the pocket Universal Waite you already have, chances are the cardstock is the same or similar.

Sulis

I have a pocket Rider-Waite-Smith, it's published by US Games and mine is a very old copy so it may have changed with subsequent editions but mine is great quality and on good cardstock.. Not flimsy at all.

Grizabella

Thinner cardstock does not usually equal flimsy. The card stock for that particular deck is very durable and, as someone else said, it would be impossible to riffle if it were thicker stock.

Actually, I've found that thick stock can be more prone to damage than thin. It's just so awkward to try to shuffle and even when you "shmear" shuffle, the cards catch on each other and that's hard on the edges.

3ill.yazi

Thinner cardstock does not usually equal flimsy. The card stock for that particular deck is very durable and, as someone else said, it would be impossible to riffle if it were thicker stock.

Actually, I've found that thick stock can be more prone to damage than thin. It's just so awkward to try to shuffle and even when you "shmear" shuffle, the cards catch on each other and that's hard on the edges.

True enough, but I found the Universal Waite pocket version appallingly flimsy. I tore two cards within five minutes of opening the pack.

To compare, the miniature standard RWS is as robust as the full-size.

Thanks all. I think I will be getting the standard pocket size.

nisaba

Is there an RW in a tin?

Richard

True enough, but I found the Universal Waite pocket version appallingly flimsy. I tore two cards within five minutes of opening the pack.

To compare, the miniature standard RWS is as robust as the full-size.

Thanks all. I think I will be getting the standard pocket size.
The Universal Waite pocket version has a nice heavy-duty box (or it used to). I've never used the deck much. The card stock of my pocket RWS is slightly thicker than that of the Universal. My favorites, though, are the mini RWS and the standard Albano-Waite.

Le Fanu

The O.P refers to the "pocket" deck. Other posters refer to the "miniatures" RWS. There is a difference.

Scour ebay and get yourself a vintage version of whichever it is you want. They pop up all the time and are well worth investing in.

There are the lovely (mini) yellow box World cover boxes as well as the (rarer) Travellers Tarot in the old Rider blue box. If you're lucky you might get a copyright-free edition. So much nicer.

Then there are the older pocket - not mini - versions. I prefer these much more than the minis. The perfect size, callligraphy titles. Love love love mine.

The pocket Universal Waite - printed in China - is the crappest of all the printed in China decks. Shoddiness at its most brazen.

3ill.yazi

I have a new miniature and it's great. It has the original calligraphy, unlike the new full size. I think I need something just a little bigger for study and regular use. So to be clear it is the pocket size not the mini I was asking about.

Aerin

... the (rarer) Travellers Tarot in the old Rider blue box. If you're lucky you might get a copyright-free edition. So much nicer.

I got one of those for a song on ebay uk when I wasn't looking for it. Well, well worth hunting down - adorable size and lovely little deck. It's what I'd call Patience size and is extremely usable.