Why is The Moon card usually seen as negative?

Barleywine

Don't hold your breath. I saw a Banned Member post from two hours ago saying SkylerK was banned as a returning banned member, Nikita.

ravenest

Good, then there will be no argument after I post this ; })

Mental health issues effect men and women alike . The Moon may be seen as 'feminine' .... and it may also be seen to contain some 'negatives' as listed in this thread.

But that does not those things are wholly the domain of women.

chaosbloom

Well, this thread certainly ended up looking like the actual TdM/RWS card. Bloody moon.

nisaba

The Moon may be seen as 'feminine' .... and it may also be seen to contain some 'negatives' as listed in this thread.

But that does not those things are wholly the domain of women.

Hear, hear!

Just as the bright positivity of the Sun is not wholly the province of men - women are allowed to be cheerful, too.

Actually, in Teutonic (European) thinking, the moon is seen as masculine (der Mond) and the sun is seen as feminine (die Sonne). Hence "the man in the moon".

ravenest

And in some Vedic traditions too. I even once heard an old Indian man say that the Sun must be a woman and the Moon a man, as if the Sun was not a woman .... she would not be afraid to some out at night ..... I decided not to think further on that one.

Although, I do have a Cancer Sun and a Leo Moon :) .

chaosbloom

Further proof that the Moon cannot possibly be evil or negative but that it might need changing eyes to appreciate its changing, changeable nature.

The Cat and the Moon.

THE cat went here and there
And the moon spun round like a top,
And the nearest kin of the moon,
The creeping cat, looked up.
Black Minnaloushe stared at the moon,
For, wander and wail as he would,
The pure cold light in the sky
Troubled his animal blood.
Minnaloushe runs in the grass
Lifting his delicate feet.
Do you dance, Minnaloushe, do you dance?
When two close kindred meet.
What better than call a dance?
Maybe the moon may learn,
Tired of that courtly fashion,
A new dance turn.
Minnaloushe creeps through the grass
From moonlit place to place,
The sacred moon overhead
Has taken a new phase.
Does Minnaloushe know that his pupils
Will pass from change to change,
And that from round to crescent,
From crescent to round they range?
Minnaloushe creeps through the grass
Alone, important and wise,
And lifts to the changing moon
His changing eyes.

W. B. Yeats (Who was almost a founding member of the Golden Dawn, heavily involved in the development of the RWS deck and, what many members of these boards will appreciate, a Sun in Gemini native.)

(Yes, I'm partly facetious with this post but the poem is nice and does postdate the RWS deck.)

Let's see who calls dibs on the cat name. :)

Debra

Well, for what it's worth, the Moon card turns up in my readings when there's confusion, suppressed feelings, and troubled minds.

Sodapop

The moon represents an unseen dark presences behind the veil, a shadow looming. Such as a new over charming boyfriend that later you discover to be emotionally abusive or a group of people that invite you on the construct of good intentions only to miss treat you.

Mainly representing negative dark emotional manipulation and deceit of such nature and the use of dark magic to control certain events around you that inflict you emotionally.

Puffette

I have always wondered why The Moon card in Tarot is considered a 'scary', 'dark', and negative card. Personally, The Moon is one of my favorite cards in the Tarot. I like what it represents; intuition, imagination, emotions, dreams. Perhaps I feel a strong connection to The Moon card because Water is a dominant element in my astrological natal chart - The Moon is a watery card. In my opinion what The Moon card represents is very underrated in today's emotionally detached society. Maybe that is why people fear it.

I get that the Death and The Tower cards are feared but why The Moon, this beautiful, feminine and stunning card?

Moon has proved to be a very difficult card to interpret because it speaks about the dark shadows of one's heart and feelings..
It is a card representing sadness and fear but also deep love and lots of secrecy. It usually comes up to announce that the querent has dealt with some past suffering therefore the person in cause tends to keep everything closed off out of fear.
The two towers in the background show that there is something going on,something well hidden,sealed.
The moon in romance speaks first of all about fear,hurt and confusion but shows the eerie connection two people can have even though they are separated(because i must admit this card has come up very often in readings about people that broke up). Their little world as i like to call it,a world full of secrets,empathy,gestures and looks only they can understand,sensations and dreaming of each other.
It is beautiful if u are very romantic and tend to look at the world through rose tinted glasses but it becomes frustrating if you lack in patience.