Deck I.D.

Tarotwolf

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on these cards? The cards are vintage (maybe 1950-70's, the edges on the deck are age discolored) and the stock is light-weight and unlaminated. The fronts are light pink and black, while the backs are green with an eight pointed star. The meaning are printed at the bottom of each card and the images are classic Rider Waite. They remind me a lot of the Zolar Fortune cards but I'm not aware of any 78 card Zolar decks. I received the cards without any box or information.

I'm hoping someone has this deck and can fill me in with any information. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 341

rwcarter

I can't get to my deck right now, but they remind me of the Merrimack version of the RWS.

illyria

I thought of the Merrimack, too, but the coloring doesn't seem to be right.

Tarotwolf

Very similar style but the Merrimack is in full color, different back design and actually has far better card stock. This did actually make me think - some publisher may have copied Merrimack's cards in two-tone color and put out their own deck. So I checked to see if the definitions printed on the cards were the same, and they aren't.

Debra

Given the writing, it's unlikely this was produced by native English speakers.

Tarotwolf

Its been quiet since this thread was moved from the decks subforum. I figure this subforum doesn't get many people, but surely someone has a copy of this deck? I bought it from an ebay seller located in western Canada. Not sure if that helps or not.

Sumada

Sorry, I can't help either. It's a totally new on me... (and I thought I'd seen them all! Pretty sure it's not on Holly Voley's site either).
But thank you for sharing...

gregory

I have this. It's a weird one. It's the Thoth Hermes Taro Cards, put out by the International Taro Association. As my notes say:

Includes advertisement for the Taro Text from Third Eye Mail Order Co, Langley BC, and a leaflet by the Grand Initiator of the ITA, listed as Vancouver at the address where the deck was first bought: Yoga Vedanta Book Store. This was opened by Swami Sivananda Radha (Sylvia Hellman) at another address in 1957. Probably the scans were from a Merrimack or a University Press version.

ETA @Sumada You do know Holly's site has fallen over ? Tragedy. But no, it isn't there (I have it saved from the wayback machine !), and truelighth doesn't have it either!

Tarotwolf

Many thanks Gregory! I really appreciate it.