Tarot Certification Board of America - a critical appraisal

Arania

Unfortunately, we have something like this in Germany, now, too - the official Tarot "club" who offers certificates for lots of money etc and has all the high names as members. Their set of ethics is nice, but their "examinations" process makes me really wonder, because they want to see a very different method of reading than I've learned, for example. It's weird.

reagun ban

kilts_knave said:
A-men to that, sistah!
*is a guy*

I was a little worried about posting the scientific points, lest people misunderstand me. I get a little paranoid about bulletin boards I'm not well established in from a really bad experience.

kilts_knave said:
As a professional educator I can tell you from first hand, yearly experience that there is no such thing as an unbiased, or fair, standardized test! I am against any form of testing whatsoever at this point, on principle alone.
Does Continuous assessment count as testing?

lizziecat

I have to be suspicious of any organization that requires payment for something that has no accreditation. It might have some value for personal accomplishment if one needs to pay money for that, but in my own opinion and for my own personal requirements it really has no legitimacy.

Dwaas

Hanging out here, being an active member of the AT forums is for me a much higher accreditation then any piece of paper from what other tarotorganisation.

What if you have all the diplomas? Are you finished learning then? While being an active AT-member means you learn every day again from so many people with so many different ideas. I feel proud to learn from all of you and I am sure I would never be the progressing and ever learning reader I am if I had instead got some vague diploma's. No offense meant.
Blessings

tarotbear

pssssssssssssssst

For all you newbies out there~

Major Tom has a certificate he can send you called 'Scalawag of Tarot'. }) It's the perfect thing to hang on your wall - if he still has them.

firecatpickles

reagun ban said:
*is a guy*
Ok, but 10% chance anyway :)

reagun ban said:
Does Continuous assessment count as testing?
That's not standardized, at least my contiuous assessment isn't.

reagun ban

kilts_knave said:
Ok, but 10% chance anyway :)

That's not standardized, at least my contiuous assessment isn't.

Sorry, dyslexia acting up again. Missed the standardised bit.

abella

Your forum name: Tarot Programmer is intriguing as programming (as I understand it) is generally thought of as scientific and yet there is (as you say it) a very spiritual side to you. Neat. This is just an (as I see it) interesting observation. :)

reagun ban said:
* Ok, this may cause a reaction from people who don't understand what I mean. The concept of scientific validity has solely to do with science. Religion is scientifically invalid, reiki is scientifically invalid, magic is scientifically invalid, prayer is scientifically invalid. I'm a Pagan who has a degree in Reiki (getting degree two after I deal with my anger issues), practices magic, reads tarot and has regular conversations with my Gods. For more on this, read This wikipedia article

abella

Certificates are great for those who like standards; however, most readers are not standard. Not to say that "all" readers are not standard. For someone who has a 4 or 10 life path, they may really want that testing and certificates to say they have achieved. It's a personality thing.

Personally, I don't like certificates, diplomas, or degrees. I don't need or want someone else validating me and the skills. I do want my clients and seekers to get the best.

However having said all this, that's me and I don't see myself often in others (present company excepted).

reagun ban

abella said:
Your forum name: Tarot Programmer is intriguing as programming (as I understand it) is generally thought of as scientific and yet there is (as you say it) a very spiritual side to you. Neat. This is just an (as I see it) interesting observation. :)
Ah... but programming is one of those areas where art (and therefore spirtuality) can overlap with science.