Inducing Labor

souljourney

I have a friend who is pregnant and due. They will only let her go one week over before they chemically induce labor. That is something she doesn't want. She is using a midwife, no drugs, etc.
Does anyone know of something that will help induce labor? I know the acupuncture points that should help, but looking for more too.
Thanks.

Mi-Shell

An old midwife's trick to pass on to the expecting parents is that a couple of good heavy deep orgasms get the oxitocin flowing and labour starts a couple of hours later.
I usually remind my expecting clients that a man also has to have very talented fingers, besides.... you know.... :)

Stormdancer

What is their "MEDICAL" reason for insisting on inducing?? Most times it seems to me that the Drs want the ease of it all. If they are insistent on the induction, have her suggest that the Dr "ring and loosen" the palcenta from the wall of the cervix....pretty sure i am not putting that in proper medical terms, but anyone whohas had it done knows what i am talking about....works every time within a few days....

I am NOT a doctor and claim no knowledge other than that of a mother 3 times over...one induction..and 2 others where i was able to avoid that.

Stormdancer

Phoenix Rising

When I had my first baby, the midwife gave me a homeopathic, cauliphylum, something like that, I had him the day after.

The doctors have so much more control these days, and most of them seem to be men, what the hell do they know about birthing? So much more caesarians, IVF, what is happening, why women can't conceive or give birth naturally?

Phoenix

souljourney

Thanks for all the suggestion. I will pass them along.
Her due date was yesterday. Baby hasn't dropped yet...

goddessof1967

Hi there,

I'm a midwife working in a natural pregnancy, labour and birth centre. I counsel my women almost daily on natural methods of IOL.

I discuss - acupuncture, reflexology, essential oils (clary sage and lavender mostly), sex (prostaglandins in sperm), hot curries, an internal examination giving a stretch and sweep, long walks, castor oil and probably the most effective cause we sometimes have to do it if the labour slows down is nipple stimulation. That one's a full time job but its one of the best. I do wonder if nipple stimulation is most effective when pre-labour has started, though.

However, i find that if the body is not yet ready to labour, no natural methods will help.

Studies have found that it is very safe to go 42 weeks and in fact it is safer than early induction (less than 42weeks). Normal pregnancy is classed as 37-42 weeks gestation. Early induction too frequently results in a cascade of intervention ending in an emergency caeserian.

Its her body, her baby, her labour, her birth. She has every right to refuse induction unless the reason for it is actually there - not just a threat or risk. That the crappest reason and is defensive medicine at its best (worst).

kekepania

SoulJourney's friend

Hi, I appreciate Souljourney asking for me. Heres the deal. My midwife said that the most likely reason fore the baby not dropping is that I am a short bodied woman. Apparently this is common. She also said that by not dropping he is not able to stimulate the labor process. They will induce me on Monday, so I don't go past 2 weeks late. The reason they give for induction is that the longer the baby goes past term the likelihood of complications grows. I plan to do a natural active birth and informed her that I really don't want to do a chemical induction if it can be avoided. I lost the mucous plug last night so am not sure if sex is a safe option anymore. Daniel has been doing the acupressure points, but nothing so far, although the Vag. exam this morning showed me dilated to 1. He is still turned Posterior even though we have been doing the points to turn him as well as hands and knees time. My midwife did prescribe Caullyphyllum but made me promise not to take it or any other herbal or homeopathic remedy until Monday morning as she will not be able to monitor the baby to ensure that he is ok. I also don't want to do canola oil if it can be helped because well, who wants stomach gas on top of labor pains? If there are any other suggestions I am all ears. Thank you all for your help and guidance.

Stormdancer

SO...you're talking about inducing a week from today? Plenty of time since you've dialated 1cm. I'm a big fan of visualization...for your own body and for your baby....and keep yourself as verticle as possible...let gravity work..LOL. Encourage your young one to turn and drop, and visualize your cervix willing to open. Again, I am not a dr or midwife...and you have both in your corner, so listen to them. I know for me, they wanted to do the induction at around 2 weeks late because the baby and I weren't gaining weight, and the Dr's told me that he'd thrive better out than in. I still think you need to ask about the "loosening the placenta from the cervix" thing...although they didn't do this for me until i was 3cm. It'll all be ok....is this your first?

Stormdancer

goddessof1967

Hello Kekepania! How exciting, a new baby in your household very soon!

I just had to reply to this as I see these types of issues everyday and trouble-shoot to get past the medical model. Having said that, all my suggestions are very safe and evidence-based.

kekepania said:
Hi, I appreciate Souljourney asking for me. Heres the deal. My midwife said that the most likely reason fore the baby not dropping is that I am a short bodied woman. Apparently this is common.
There is absolutely no evidence that short bodied women's baby's are less likely to 'drop' into the pelvis than for women with long bodies. In my job I see plenty of 'short bodied' women giving birth naturally so this is an erroneous reason to labour.
She also said that by not dropping he is not able to stimulate the labor process.
The labour is less likely to start or continue naturally but it doesn't necessarily mean that labour won't happen because of it. You need to give yourself the best possible chance and the longest amount of time, so that you feel satisfied with your birth at the end of it all. The comment 'oh well, look you have a healthy baby' is very unhelpful if your level of satisfaction is below zero. Even if you end up with all the intervention under the sun , the important thing is that you made as many decsions as you could. Never put your pregnancy and birth completely into another person's hands whether they be doctor or midwife or you could end up feeling very dissatisfied. This can lead to post-natal depression, too.
They will induce me on Monday, so I don't go past 2 weeks late.
My understanding from your friend's original post was that you will only be 41 weeks at time of induction. 7 days more is a huge amount in terms of working to get into labour.

It is your choice about being induced, your choice about whether you want your body attended to like this, not the midwife's, not the doctor's, not anyone else's. They can't do it without your consent or that is assault (not that I'm suggesting going down that path lol, just an illustration).
The reason they give for induction is that the longer the baby goes past term the likelihood of complications grows.
I agree that perhaps past 42 weeks this may happen but not before. If they get antsy about it you can always agree to have 2nd daily monitoring CTG and AFI to make sure all is still well. The 'risk' of complications is not a reason to intervene. If that were so we would never leave our houses.
I plan to do a natural active birth and informed her that I really don't want to do a chemical induction if it can be avoided.
If you are planning to be natural and active then the above are things that you can use to negotiate your position. As I said, early induction is the most common cause for caesarian not to mention more than a handful of complications.
I lost the mucous plug last night so am not sure if sex is a safe option anymore.
Sex becomes no longer safe, nor necessary once the waters have broken. So, yes its safe to have stacks of sex :laugh:
Daniel has been doing the acupressure points, but nothing so far, although the Vag. exam this morning showed me dilated to 1.
That is excellent news! Well done. Daniel's work has not been nothing.
He is still turned Posterior even though we have been doing the points to turn him as well as hands and knees time.
That's great, you do as much as you can on that score.
My midwife did prescribe Caullyphyllum but made me promise not to take it or any other herbal or homeopathic remedy until Monday morning as she will not be able to monitor the baby to ensure that he is ok.
There's absolutely no reason why she has to monitor your bub after any homeopathic remedy.

Let me tell you, the birth centre I work in comes under the umbrella of a ridiculously conservative level 3 hospital so we have to work within some fairly conservative guidelines. All the info I am giving you here are within those guidelines. I'm not even telling you how the homebirth midwives handle this stuff.

I also don't want to do canola oil if it can be helped because well, who wants stomach gas on top of labor pains?
Well its not gas you'll be having with castor oil, its diarrhoea. Having said that if it were me I would try it at the very last minute.

It sounds like your midwife is finding it hard not to give in to the pressure of the medical model. This can be very hard but ultimately you are the only person who can really assert yourself and have the best possible chance for the birth you want.

Lack of evidence of a complication is the best reason not to intervene with mother nature. If and when a complication arises, then its reasonable to intervene. This whole induction process is very frustrating. At my work, they have just started an induction audit. Even though studies have come back showing that early and unnecessary induction leads to all sorts of awful complications, doctors just don't seem to be able to comply.

Whether you have a caesarian or not, the important part of this whole process is that you feel empowered to be an integral part of the decision making process. Too many doctors waltz in and snatch that away from women and their partners. Be cool, be calm, be collected but state your case and stick to it, confidently.

Best of luck to you.

Goddess xxoo