I need a children's deck

gorgeousbutterfly

Might I suggest you pair the deck you choose with a good beginner's book that would help explain the "scary" cards (Rachel Pollack's "Seeker" for instance). Then no matter which deck was chosen, he/she would have a firm foundation to stand on and wouldn't be afraid of any cards. When my daughter was that age, she liked the Celtic Dragon Tarot and the Fey Tarot.

Great suggestion, thank you!! I want to throughly explain all the scary cards so there will be no fear but just clear understanding.

FLizarraga

Unfortunately it's out of print and quite expensive, thus completely wrong for an 11-year-old, but I find Baba's Fairytale Tarot would have been a perfect choice.

Two good AND affordable choices could be the Dreaming Way and the Anna K. Gentle, but not bland or fluffy --solid, meaty decks. The Dreaming Way seems particularly suited for a preteen, especially a girl.

AnemoneRosie

Hezicos Tarot.
You can go and look at each card on her website to see if it's appropriate. It's got gnomes and fairies. My clients who are scared of traditional tarot cards respond to this deck with "I like the energy!" and other have other favourable things to say about it.

It's an RWS clone. A companion book will still work out.

celticnoodle

criteria

This is for a 11 year old. I need a rider based deck preferably or one that has deeper esoteric symbolism. I do not like the devil, tower or 10 of swords in most decks even the ones that are considered "soft" I am talking about hanson roberts deck. So far this has not been an easy task. Any recommendation will be great. I would also like all the cards to have as much imagery as possible.. so far i'm looking at the moon garden tarot but my only issue is some of the cards lack imagery (10 of staffs, 9 of staffs etc)

not sure anyone mentioned this deck, but how about the Fairy Tale Tarot by Lisa Hunt? The one thing good is that the devil is temptation. Death is transformation. The Tower is Deception. and the 10 of swords shows a trunk flying through the air with a young man sitting inside. He looks curious--not dead with 10 swords in his back. The 3 of swords shows a young girl holding a candle that is lit, to illuminate the darkness. None of hte artwork is terrifying--and the book explains the story and where it comes from.

All of them are based on childhood fables from around the world. If you do buy this deck, I highly recommend the book to go with it. the issue is that I think it is now out of print and so the only way to find it is to buy it used. I'm not sure how much it goes for as a result. Good Luck.

G6

Seems like the Fantasma Wishcraft Mystical Tarot is designed for tween or teen girls, so likely the imagery is not a concern for girls that age. It has keywords on the cards too plus a spread mat, which all might be helpful for learning.

PeonyInLove

Whimsical tarot... It's all about cute fairy tales like the wizard of oz and Jack and Jill etc

jazzmatazz

Oh FLizzy! :D :D

My daughter chose the Unicorn Tarot when she was 12 -not that many years ago. Looks like it is still available.

This was my first deck around that age. Once I was an adult the art was really flat for me, so I got myself the Pagan Cats after that.

FLizarraga

The super sweet Giger's Baphomet. It's the sweetest, gentlest Tarot deck ever on this planet. I call it my teddy bear deck.

Leo77

Second the Joie De Vivre. My daughter is 7 and loves looking through it. I thought it would just be a cute deck to have but it's quickly becoming my daily reader this summer!

There's some depth there as you read the card descriptions (the names of the little animals, symbolizing deeper aspects of the cards. It's a winner.