A decent, workable Cary-Yale Visconti restoration, anyone?

delizt

have the kitty go and get them for you!!!!

From the article you posted: " All trump cards have a gilt background, while the non-face cards have a silver one."

wouldn't that be pretty!!

The Happy Squirrel

Have you seen the "Golden Visconti" deck and book set? Can't remember the author's name or the publishing company let me do a quick google for you. They are still large-ish. But not as large as the facsimile decks, and I think created specifically to work with so the size is somewhat manageable.

FLizarraga

Thanks, my dear Squirrel, but that's a different Visconti deck, the Visconti-Sforza. Something like that is what we need for the Cary-Yale. Large enough so you can see detail, but not so much that it cannot be shuffled.

The Happy Squirrel

Aaaaaaah. I have both decks so I don't know how I missed that detail. Now I am curious too.

dancing_moon

Is there a decent restoration, with cards that a human being can actually manipulate?

FLiz, you're reading my thoughts. Have been searching for one for ages, to no avail. :(

What are the copyright limitations on this deck?

None, I would presume?.. Except, maybe, the actual modern restorations/additions.

Would anyone other than me want one?

Me, me, me! :D

Wouldn't it be a great addition to Lo Scarabeo's line of shiny golden decks?

It would be a gem. :) Hope they're reading this. ;)

Piasabird

And me! [emoji106]

FLizarraga

FLiz, you're reading my thoughts. Have been searching for one for ages, to no avail. :(

:)

None, I would presume?.. Except, maybe, the actual modern restorations/additions.

I know that in the case of, say, the Game of Hope, the rights belong to the British Museum, and that there has been some drama about reproduction rights. But the Sforza belongs to the same institution than the Cary-Yale, if I remember correctly --the Beineken Library at Yale--, and has been easily reproduced by at least four different publishers, so I wonder why not the Cary-Yale.

FLizarraga

Aaaaaaah. I have both decks so I don't know how I missed that detail. Now I am curious too.

They actually look a lot alike in some respects. I wonder if the Viscontis commissioned both decks to the same artists. (Or were the Sforzas the ones who commissioned the VS, I wonder? Well, a good Googling should clear that up.)

The Happy Squirrel

Apparently there were two Houses of Visconti

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Visconti

The Visconti of the Visconti and Sforzas family emblem is the serpent if I am not mistaken.

I always thought both decks were commissioned by the same House of Visconti.

Poking around the internet and the historical sub forum now.