Mini Tarot Decks...?

Frank S

Just received my TDM Jodorowsky et. Camoin. In its eBay description were the words 'Casual Edition' - no idea what that meant exactly so I took the plunge. In actual fact it meant 'mini'. Hmmmph. Oh well. Still, it's not too common a deck.

My question is, which are the best (and worst) mini-tarots out there...?

Frank.

Chiriku

I like Lo Sacarabeo's mini- Secret Tarot, although because of its subtleties, I recommend using it in full light and not in dim pubs as I've been wont to do.

In general, I am allergic to mini-anything, however. Bigger is better for me when it comes to tarot.

lotus_of_truth

I just ordered the Art Nouveau mini deck today. I think it is very beautiful, and a mini deck can fit in my bag :)

Alta

I think the Baroque Bohemian Cats mini is very well done.

MandMaud

I got one the other day on eBay, not that I was looking for a mini deck but it was cheap(!), just called Tarot the Complete Kit - Running Press 'Mega Mini Kits'.

I didn't like the images when I first looked at them, but once cleansed it turned out great for certain kinds of reading. At least that's what I'm finding so far. I like it for spiritual type questions, can't make sense of it with more practical things.

It has a mind of its own. I have heard that a deck can but in my brief time with Tarot hadn't experienced it. This deck is also the only one that's been witty at me, you know, coming back with 'Get a life already!' if I ask too much of the same... :D

Aha, found it: http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/runningpress/book_detail.jsp?isbn=0762404183 and I paid £3-something used so not so much of a bargain! Never mind.

This is about 7cm x 8cm (? just over 3" by just under 3" ?). How small do decks get - I mean decks intended for actually using?

vee

I have the mini Tarot of the Gnomes and I like it very much. Although it helps that I don't have the bigger version to compare. :laugh:

I also like the mini BBC cats.

Le Fanu

My personal favorite is the pocket Buckland Romani. :)
Now that is a great one. Shame it's illegal or pirated or whatever, but there is something so captivating and user-friendly about it and I generally do not like minis at all. Life's too short to have mini decks. Really. I mean surely even the most crammed bag or rucksack can fit another inch and a half for the sake of nice clear images?

Of course I buy them and have them but when push comes to shove, I'll always reach for the bigger decks for the sake of - well - beauty. Why have nice when you can have nice multiplied four-times-the-size?

Having said that I have mini RWS, Thoth, Burdel Marseilles, Buckland-Romani, BBC 3rd edition, Camoin-Jodorosky, the Tarot Nova, Connolly, Trevisan's Renaissance, Grimaud Marseilles, 1960s Albano Waite, Universal Waite, mega-mini Soprafino...

Moonson

i think they are cute... but, don't think i'll ever buy one. hm.. maybe if i find a veery cheeap one

mega-mini Soprafino...

"mega-mini"?! o_O what is the size of that thing?

I have the mini Tarot of the Gnomes and I like it very much.

very appropriate! :)

marimorimo

Aww, mini decks are loved less than I thought :(

I, for one, love them to bits :D In fact, I am now considering buying only cards that are playing card sized or smaller. The large, pretty pictures in full-sized decks lose their appeal as I struggle and fight to shuffle the darned deck! Sure there are shuffling methods out there to deal with gigantic decks but I love me a good proper riffle shuffle :love: Plus, they are a boon when reading on cramped surfaces as they don't take up much space.

My workhorse deck is the Mini Hanson-Roberts. Visually I didn't find the style very appealing, but after many readings, it's grown on me :) It stays in my bag at all times. As for my favorite deck (visually speaking), the Druidcraft is so large and unwieldy I hardly ever take it out of the box :(