Which Thoth?

HuskyChariot

Hey :)

I have finally felt the call to this deck and I plan to get a giant version for study and meditation and another version for 'everyday' reading.

Can I have some suggestions as to which versions I should buy?

As a guide, I like a matte finish like the PCS Commemorative or the Baba decks. And while I like bright colours, I don't like them to be too loud like the Radiant RW (I gave away the Radiant because of it's shininess and too bright colours).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I dare say I will be staring at and using this deck for years to come! :)

WolfyJames

I suggest for the 'everyday' reading deck the purple version with the Three Magus from AGM Muller/U.S. Games. It's the medium size and the colors are nice.

HuskyChariot

Thanks WolfyJames... Looks great.... love the fact that it retains the magnus cards that other versions don't :)

Bhavana

The above is a good suggestion for reading with - for study, there is a larger size, none of them too garish in color, but you could look for a "greenie" which is an older Thoth with greenish edges....large size, matte finish to the cards. They come up on ebay a lot, white box, usually made in the 80's I think, starting at around $30-ish.

Richard

Large Thoth (Green Box) - 3.75 x 5.5 inches (ISBN: 9780913866153)
Small Thoth (Purple Box) - 2.75 x 4.25 inches (ISBN: 9780880793087)

Neither of mine is any more glossy than the PCS Commemorative. I use the large deck all the time because there is so much intricate detail in the pictures.

HuskyChariot

Thanks Bhavana :) ... there's on up at the moment for around $90... I'll keep watch

Juliana

I like the large green box for study and the purple box for readings. The green box is too large for me to shuffle, but perfect for looking through and seeing all the details. It is also a good size for those who prefer to trim the Thoth.

HuskyChariot

Thanks LRichard and Juliana :)

Laura Borealis

Don't pay $90 for a greenie, they definitely pop up for a lot less; I think mine was about $30 too. Mine was missing the hex card and OTO card but a kind forum member sent me their spares :)

Richard

.......Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I dare say I will be staring at and using this deck for years to come! :)
If the large deck is too large for shuffling, get the small deck for that. The card titles (they are not divination keywords, by the way) and associated symbols are an important part of each card, especially if you plan to use the deck for meditation. Don't trim them off if you respect the Thoth for what it is.