Looking to try to tackle the Thoth again need some help

Siochanai

Ok here we go. I have an RWS deck and I have a Thoth deck even though it is a small playing card sized Thoth. Who would have thought it would be so hard to find the big version.

The Thoth is my first deck and I picked up an RWS because I was having issues with the Thoth. Sadly the RWS does not really get me anywhere as it really does not drive my inner self. All I can hear is my Thoth deck screaming at me so just to keep it quiet I figure I will give this another shot.

I think the initial way I was tackling it was totally wrong and probably too fast. After all it should really be about self discovery and breaking through the hard headed blocks known as humanity.

So the first step I want to take is 1 card at a time after I appropriately re order the entire deck.

Secondly I want to keep a journal as I study each and every card one at a time. (Maybe 1 - 2 week per card)

Now we come to books as I love to read and there is nothing better then reading material that twists your brain into submission.

Right now I own
1. The Book of Thoth
2. DuQuette's Book

I am thinking about ordering
3. 777

I also want to print out Book-T

So are there any other real must have books. Personally Thelema does not particularly interest me as my prime interest is in Enochian Magic and I know for sure Crowley's writings in 777 will help with the Quabalisic background needed for Enochian magic. I am also sure that somehow the Thoth will do the same.

Any other suggestions to put on my list? Or should I just run away and hide because Crowley will haunt me and destroy my intrigue and pull towards Enochian magic?

Can't wait to see the huge lectures incoming to me lol.

gregory

One card at a time - you might like to run with the 78 card study (I am "doing" Thoth myself - and have only two cards left to go. I wish you had shown up sooner.... I'd have loved the company !)
Basically you spend a week with each card and post your "findings" and maybe people who know stuff (which is NOT me !) will come and comment.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=20021

and when you are ready - thread links for each card's thread are here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=73120

Also this subforum has a HUGE amount of info, and people who know stuff will answer your questions.

I didn't get 777; but I did find Banzhaf and Snuffin helpful as well. I would personally avoid Ziegler. And Perdurabo is heavy but a good biography. So, I believe, is Suter, but I am not ready for another quite yet...

And of course Crowley will seek and destroy. It was his HOBBY and you don't think he gave up just because he died, do you ? (assuming he really did... }))

Siochanai

One card at a time - you might like to run with the 78 card study (I am "doing" Thoth myself - and have only two cards left to go. I wish you had shown up sooner.... I'd have loved the company !)
Basically you spend a week with each card and post your "findings" and maybe people who know stuff (which is NOT me !) will come and comment.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=20021

and when you are ready - thread links for each card's thread are here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=73120

Also this subforum has a HUGE amount of info, and people who know stuff will answer your questions.

I didn't get 777; but I did find Banzhaf and Snuffin helpful as well. I would personally avoid Ziegler. And Perdurabo is heavy but a good biography. So, I believe, is Suter, but I am not ready for another quite yet...

And of course Crowley will seek and destroy. It was his HOBBY and you don't think he gave up just because he died, do you ? (assuming he really did... }))

The Ziegler book I have it came with my deck I believe and in all honesty I hated it. Way too fluffy. The 78 week thing seems neat but it is probably a bit late to get involved in that. Right now it is a toss up between 777 and the Fortune book but I think 777 might be a bit more intriguing. What are the names of the Banzhaf and Snuffin books will have to look them up.

As for Crowley he will never die. So much controversy about the man I don't think he would ever pass up seeing all that unfold. ;)

gregory

The Ziegler book I have it came with my deck I believe and in all honesty I hated it. Way too fluffy. The 78 week thing seems neat but it is probably a bit late to get involved in that. Right now it is a toss up between 777 and the Fortune book but I think 777 might be a bit more intriguing. What are the names of the Banzhaf and Snuffin books will have to look them up.

As for Crowley he will never die. So much controversy about the man I don't think he would ever pass up seeing all that unfold. ;)
The 78 card study runs whenever anyone wants to start doing one. You can start on one at any time. Believe me, I know - this is my second trip... And my friend who is doing it alongside me has - slowed down rather (she's doing RWS) but will be there to chat ! It is all very forgiving, and concentrates the mind wonderfully.

Banzhaf: The Crowley Tarot
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crowley-Tar...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375750279&sr=1-1

(there is another - Keywords for the Crowley Tarot - I don't have that is also said to be good...)

Snuffin: The Thoth Companion
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thoth-Compa...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375750370&sr=1-1

Siochanai

The 78 card study runs whenever anyone wants to start doing one. You can start on one at any time. Believe me, I know - this is my second trip... And my friend who is doing it alongside me has - slowed down rather (she's doing RWS) but will be there to chat ! It is all very forgiving, and concentrates the mind wonderfully.

Banzhaf: The Crowley Tarot
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crowley-Tar...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375750279&sr=1-1

(there is another - Keywords for the Crowley Tarot - I don't have that is also said to be good...)

Snuffin: The Thoth Companion
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thoth-Compa...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375750370&sr=1-1

Ok I will take a look into those. I was able to get 777 on Amazon and luckily enough I was also able to get a 1979 edition of the Fortune book on ebay for $25. From what I understand the new reprints have crap tons of errors and everyone said to get a old one if you can well I did :D lucky me it was the only one too. There is a original print copy up there if anyone wants one the one from the 1930's I think for $550.

Zephyros

Right now it is a toss up between 777 and the Fortune book but I think 777 might be a bit more intriguing. What are the names of the Banzhaf and Snuffin books will have to look them up.

Most of Crowley's books are in the public domain, and can be downloaded for free. 777 is mainly tables and attributions, few writings. I found it useful mainly for expanding my meditations on the different attributions, and of course for Ceremonial magick. You might find it useful if you begin practicing Enochia.

Dion Fortune's book is very good, and will give you much of the Qabalalistic background needed for the Thoth, although it isn't Thoth-specific. Take your time, do the homework. A few months studying Qabalah will give you a firm base on which to build, and will prove invaluable. I tried to study the Thoth head-on without it, but had to backtrack since I was missing out on a lot. Two years later, I'm at the halfway point, at the Hanged Man, which is (still) proving to be the most challenging card I have tackled yet. Maybe in a few years I'll get to the end of the deck, and start over from the beginning. :)

gregory

Oh - thanks closrapexa - I forgot DuQuette's Chicken Qabalah. Even if you end up not "getting Qabala" - it's a fun read. And yes, I mean fun :D

Richard

I appreciate Gregory's mentioning The Chicken Qabalah. I think it would be a good idea to read it before beginning an intensive study of Tarot. The structure of the Tarot from the Golden Dawn esoteric perspective (which includes both the Thoth and the Rider-Waite) is Qabalistic, and getting a handle on this structure is essential to understanding the individual cards. Thus, the analytic approach (from the general to the specific) should be easier, faster, and less confusing than the synthetic (from the specific cards to the general concept), especially if your primary interest is esoteric rather than divinatory. A quick peek at chapter 9 of The Chicken Qabalah (The Chicken Tarot and the HGA) should reinforce my opinion in this regard.

Always Wondering

Duquette has an Enochian book, doesn't he? Also you might like to get to know James Eshleman's work as I'm pretty sure he has an Enochian book also. Sorry I don't know more, haven't read them.

Here is a link to his Liber Theta for the tarot it has become one of my go tos. http://www.thelema.org/publications/books/LiberT.pdf

777 is worth a hard copy to me because I really had a hard time reading the tables in pdf. Another option would be Eshleman's 776 and 1/2.

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0970449623

As far as a lecture, I don't have the energy. :laugh:

Everyone finds their own way.

AW

ravenest

Ok here we go. I have an RWS deck and I have a Thoth deck even though it is a small playing card sized Thoth. Who would have thought it would be so hard to find the big version.

The Thoth is my first deck and I picked up an RWS because I was having issues with the Thoth. Sadly the RWS does not really get me anywhere as it really does not drive my inner self. All I can hear is my Thoth deck screaming at me so just to keep it quiet I figure I will give this another shot.

I think the initial way I was tackling it was totally wrong and probably too fast. After all it should really be about self discovery and breaking through the hard headed blocks known as humanity.

So the first step I want to take is 1 card at a time after I appropriately re order the entire deck.

Secondly I want to keep a journal as I study each and every card one at a time. (Maybe 1 - 2 week per card)

Now we come to books as I love to read and there is nothing better then reading material that twists your brain into submission.

Right now I own
1. The Book of Thoth
2. DuQuette's Book

I am thinking about ordering
3. 777

I also want to print out Book-T

So are there any other real must have books. Personally Thelema does not particularly interest me as my prime interest is in Enochian Magic and I know for sure Crowley's writings in 777 will help with the Quabalisic background needed for Enochian magic. I am also sure that somehow the Thoth will do the same.

Any other suggestions to put on my list? Or should I just run away and hide because Crowley will haunt me and destroy my intrigue and pull towards Enochian magic?

Can't wait to see the huge lectures incoming to me lol.

Sorry to disappoint .. no huge lecture here. I think you have outlined a good approach ... to add more, at this stage, could overload you again ... and then where do you go, back to RW?

Get familiar with what you outlined THEN add more if you want.

Happy hunting :)