Looking to try to tackle the Thoth again need some help

ravenest

P.S. Cant resist going OT here :laugh:

How far have you got with the Enocian? I suggest drawing and colouring your own tablets.

Mine took about 90 hours to do all up - end result stunning! Flashes and rivers of colour streaming through them. Using them really amped things up.

Siochanai

Wow thanks for all the info. I do indeed think I will have to go one step at a time carefully. I look at the tarot more as a tool for self insight then anything else. There is so much to learn about yourself in each card and I think that is the important part a lot of people miss using them strictly for divination purposes. It really is all about breaking down the barriers that have been placed as road blocks. Either way I guess I am just trying to say for me it is all about the self reflection.

As for ravenest's question. I have not gotten very far with Enochian practices. Mostly because it is very complex to understand so I am having difficulties getting a solid starting point. I am sure I will figure it out eventually and I really do think understand more about the tarot + qabalah might help with that starting point. I do have DeSalvo's book and apparently there is no CD so hopefully I will eventually find the mp3 downloads.

As for running back to RWS I do not think that is possible. Call me superstitious or insane but I think the connection between me and the Thoth that I feel kind of makes the RWS dead and useless. Very beautiful deck and would love to study the hidden messages of it as well hopefully that block will drop at some point. The Thoth however, almost mesmerizes me if that is the right word. It just grabs hold and never lets go I have to study it there is no question about it I just have to.

Zephyros

As for running back to RWS I do not think that is possible. Call me superstitious or insane but I think the connection between me and the Thoth that I feel kind of makes the RWS dead and useless. Very beautiful deck and would love to study the hidden messages of it as well hopefully that block will drop at some point. The Thoth however, almost mesmerizes me if that is the right word. It just grabs hold and never lets go I have to study it there is no question about it I just have to.

The Thoth is more useful in studying the Golden Dawn than the RWS, as it is more forthright in its attributions. When you study any GD deck, you will find others share the basic structure, and you will understand them a lot better. In other words, you study the basic RWS (without Waite's additions and changes, which were many) when you study the Thoth, and vice versa.

Siochanai

The Thoth is more useful in studying the Golden Dawn than the RWS, as it is more forthright in its attributions. When you study any GD deck, you will find others share the basic structure, and you will understand them a lot better. In other words, you study the basic RWS (without Waite's additions and changes, which were many) when you study the Thoth, and vice versa.

I agree with what your are saying but maybe I miss phrased this paragraph a bit. My intentions were to get the point out that the RWS gives me "gibberish". If I ask a question and lay out the cards and read them you quite literally get "gibberish". It is like the intentions of the cards just fall apart into worthless insight. Could just be me though. I just think my inner self is so connected with the Thoth it refuses to utilize the RWS effectively. I am sure if I really relax and open myself up I can work around that. I like both decks I just need to really focus on one and I feel deeply that the Thoth would get me much farther then the RWS more so because the symbols are in your face instead of having to scour the card trying to find them. I am sure I will understand the RWS much better after learning this background information as well. So it should be a win win for me either way.

Always Wondering

Yep, that's why I am a one deck woman. I've tried others. Thought for sure the Liber T had promise. I end up passing them all along.

AW

Always Wondering

P.S. Cant resist going OT here :laugh:

How far have you got with the Enocian? I suggest drawing and colouring your own tablets.

Mine took about 90 hours to do all up - end result stunning! Flashes and rivers of colour streaming through them. Using them really amped things up.

I would love to see that!

AW

ravenest

As for ravenest's question. I have not gotten very far with Enochian practices. Mostly because it is very complex to understand so I am having difficulties getting a solid starting point.

That's the thing with Enocian and it is somewhat notorious for that ... but also 'notorious' for the dynamic that all of a sudden one gets to a point and it all locks very well naturally together.

I think it was duQuette (?) who insisted that this was easily overcome by drawing up the tablets from their first principles (not just copying them down but looking at the first principle - 4 'square' tablets and a 'cross' tablet, draw them; each one is divided by four, do that; each one has a 'calvary cross' mark and colour them ... and so on ... eventually one will realise what the next square is in colour and symbol without looking it up as the sequence is understood).

Crowley's brief exposition in the preface to Liber Chanok is the most confusing statement on Enochian ever written (because it is so brief, concise and to the point) for one who hasn't yet grasped the system, but it is the most erudite, brief concise and simple explanation ever written for anyone that has grasped the system :laugh:

PS. I'm with you on the Thoth ... I used to read Thoth and RW but after a while .... what's the point (aside from looking at Pamela's artwork) ... RW has become VERY dusty in this house.

Richard

Thoth is very handy on account of the training wheels. The attributions (Hebrew letters and astrological glyphs) are indicated right on the cards. No need to look them up or memorize them. :D The deck does have a Thelemic focus, but that need not be a bother.

ETA. The small cards even have the Decan titles (the so-called "keywords"). No wonder the Thoth even appeals to fortune tellers, who may have no interest whatsoever in the esoteric "baggage."

Always Wondering

I've never had any luck using the esoteric titles as keywords. That's like saying you could get all the information/correspondences down to one or two words. I just can't. Or wouldn't want to, even if I was just starting. They might give me a very broad hint or feeling, but then again, so do the images. Sounds good though. I like Daughter of the Mighty Ones.

AW