The fool & Aleph follys doom is ruin

Zephyros

Anubis777, I'm sure you know that the letters you are analyzing are of comparatively recent origin, not an earlier pictographic script. I read somewhere that if the story of Moses bringing the Tablets of the Law down from Mt. Sinai were literally true, the tablets surely would not have been written in the beautiful square letters with which we are familiar (although we may see the modern letters on the tablets in a certain Biblical movie).

http://exclaim.ca/images/The-Ten-Commandments-.jpg

The letters in that certain film are not the modern letters, but something I once knew, that film being my favorite, but forgot. They bear a certain resemblance to the Phoenician alphabet that while still inaccurate by perhaps a thousand years (although probably imaginary years) are still more true to form than the letters found in the Masoretic texts.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenician_alphabet

I should think that if the actual formation of the letters is considered to have some sort of meaningful significance, perhaps it might be better to go back to the earliest known Hebrew script, if that is possible. Otherwise, we may be analyzing letters which, however beautiful, historically are not necessarily unique to the Hebrew language and certainly seem to have lost something of their earlier pictographic directness.

I once did a rather failed experiment with the lowercase letters, that do bear more resemblance to their definitions than the uppercase ones. Although it didn't work, it did yield an interesting look at their shapes.

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=189089

As to how they evolved and how big a deal is made, I think that like any field of the occult, those who study it usually seek to gain legitimacy by citing "ancient" texts and languages that "came from God," and Kabbalists were probably no exception. This isn't to deny their contributions, of course, but merging history and occult is to take myth at face value, a dangerous occupation, to my mind.

However, Anubis is on the right track, as far as that goes. The thinking, drawing of semantic conclusions, meditating why the Tower is connected to the Wheel (if at all) is the important part. Why things are what they are definitively is secondary in this case. More than anything, Kabbalah should teach one to think, but not what or how.

Abrac

anubis777, after further consideration, I have to say I agree with you about Khaf and Peh. There are several styles of writing Hebrew letters and the source I was looking at shows them differently; but technically you're correct, Peh is made by drawing Khaf then adding the top part.

Richard

Here is a fairly standard version of Kaph and Peh: [size=+2]פ כ[/size].

Abrac

anubis777, getting back to your original question regarding Aleph-Lamed-Peh, I found a site you might be interested in. It's not from a GD perspective, but it's still quite good. Just click a letter in the chart at the top of the page.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Grammar/Unit_One/Aleph-Bet/aleph-bet.html

I'll share briefly some things I gleaned personally from the information.

One of the significant things about Aleph is it's silent; another is its numerology. When you break Aleph down it equals 26, the same as YHVH:

"The basic gematria for Aleph is one, indicating the One and only God who is the Master of the universe. Note, however, that the gematria for the parts of the letter Aleph add up to 26 (Yod+Yod+Vav). This is the same number as the sacred Name YHVH, also indicating a link between the Aleph and God Himself."

Here's a link to an image that illustrates this.

The Ox symbolizes power, the silent power of YHVH.

The goad, or staff of Lamed symbolizes authority.

"The Hebrew name of the letter itself, lamed, comes from the root lamad meaning to learn or teach..."

and

"Rabbi Akiva (50-135) is said to have noted that the spelling of Lamed can be seen as an acronym for the phrase lev meivin da'at, meaning "a heart that understands knowledge."

Lamed therefore represents the acquisition of knowledge and especially understanding.

Peh is mouth, or by extension "word" or "expression."

"For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." :)

anubis777

Thanks so much Abrac,
There are many ways to look at the letters broken down that's for sure. I have been on this quest to understand the letters for many many yrs. & the problem is that the GD orders have them but they are protected by there oaths of secrecy. I have talked to many members in various GD orders & they all tell me the same thing regarding there oaths of secrecy on the letters. It really irritates me to no end b/c its not like having the letter info will give you some power to rule the world. I feel very much like Agent Moulder from the X Files b/c he did believe in ufo's and everyone kept trying to give him misinformation and dismiss his claims when in reality he was correct in his beliefs the entire time. I always keep trying to forge ahead hoping someone will come along and help me with this. All I can say is those ^%$^%&%&^% oaths.

Abrac

anubis777, I can't help but think that information's out there somewhere. What exactly is it the GD has? Is it a knowledge lecture or a secret document of some kind? What's it supposed to contain, a breakdown of all the letters similar to the one in the picture I posted above or something else?

anubis777

Hello again,
What they have is the information that I am seeking with the break down of the letters and they also have the documents that they give to the adepts that reach a very high grade in the order. Not sure exactly what grade but that is when the student receives it.
So I can assure you that this information is not out there in any book if anyone claims it is then the info is a blind. The other magical orders contain the documents as well but they are not shared with anyone unless you attain to a certain grade. Some orders do teachings on the letters it just depends on which order your in.

Richard

They're just trying to make you think that they know something that you don't. That's silly. Forget the GD.

anubis777

Unfortunately they do have something I don't know. I can also tell you that they do the same thing with the tarot. Lectures and documents at a certain grade.

Richard

Unfortunately they do have something I don't know. I can also tell you that they do the same thing with the tarot. Lectures and documents at a certain grade.
Yes, but I seriously doubt that such 'secret' information would be of any value at all. Aleister Crowley even made fun of the GD entrusting the ordinary Hebrew alphabet to initiates under oath. It's your business if you want to join one of the many warring GD factions, but I doubt that it will help your research.