Cosmic Tarot, moon

paradoxx

A crab emerges from the ocean/sea onto a craggy rocky surface. the dark sky is lit by a bright moon. Within the moon are two fishes in yin/yang positions. The Fish represent the sign of Picies and the crab that of cancer (since cancer is rulled by the moon). The level of detail gives this mooncard a special energy that applies itself to every reading, no longer is it the moon of the pre-rider or of the rider styles itself. Loshe broke the tradition of the moon card and kept only one symbol, the emerging water creustation as a symbol of emerging emotions from the sea of life.

The highest peaks of the rock surface symbolize achievments and needs, weather emotional or intellectual. The red of the water dweller is the intensity felt in emotional times, the darkness of the sky represents the unknown life that lays ahead.

In a reading, this card can symbolize everything from psychic intution, womanhood and childbearing, any zodiac water sign, and most importantly, the need for emotional control and understanding.

divinerguy

I've always read the Moon as being associated with the shadow side of perception. Actions taking place in secret, hidden meanings and the like.

My view of the Cosmic is no different. I see the emergence of the crawfish/lobster as the emergence of the things hidden into the physical world. As it is under the cover of darkness, it takes a perceptive querent to be aware of the activity.

paradoxx

The shadow side is represented by the black outline surrounding the moon, the twelve points (stars if you will) can represent the 12 signs of the zodiac. This symbolisim relates to lunar astrology: taking your moon sign as a primary source of astrological association. Also there seems to be more water in teh background, either that or very wet land, either way, the surface the crayfish (my initial mistake was calling it a lobster) is encroaching on can easily be an island of rocks. This can be "an island of mental clarity/tranquilty in a sea of emotional chaos."

When this card appears with the Chariot, sign=Cancer which is rulled by the moon, it can means that the emotional activiites are in full motion.

divinerguy

I've never used astrological aassociations with Tarot. Perhaps there is an educational thread on that topic.

When I have time, perhaps I'll educate myself in that area.

paradoxx

I would recommend the Elemental Tarot by St. Martins Press, it uses astrological associations (along with some other symbolisim) for each card. Even if St. Martins press didn't print the deck as well as it could have it still is a great Tarot to have. It associates the suits with elements, the courts as daughter, son, mother, father, and each card has a god/dess or a specific mythological assoication such as the Angel of Summer.

When i have the time i'll place that artists (I can't remember her name off hand) astrolgical assoications.

The Cosmic Tarots use of astrology is strong and prominant, almost every card has a glyph of some planet or sign. I will usually compare my readings to current zodiac activity for clarity on the more confusing issues tha arise.

So when the moon card appears, regardless of the deck, your moon sign may be a factor in the reading.

Arania

I don't use astrology in tarot (or at all) either, but I'm a cancer, and this card means even more to me than most other moon cards.

The fish remind me of Yin/Yang and the interconnectedness if everything.

tink27

Thought I'd insert the picture of the moon! http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/cosmic/majors/themoon.html

paradoxx said:
The Cosmic Tarots use of astrology is strong and prominant, almost every card has a glyph of some planet or sign. I will usually compare my readings to current zodiac activity for clarity on the more confusing issues tha arise.

Ohh I definitely agree!

paradoxx said:
So when the moon card appears, regardless of the deck, your moon sign may be a factor in the reading.

How fascinating!! I never took into account the moon sign could be a factor. This is very interesting paradoxx, thank you!

tink :love:

Myrrha

The Cosmic Tarot Moon is in many ways like other RWS/Marseilles Moon cards.

When I look for a meaning that comes from the unique qualities of this image it seems to me to show desire, longing. The crayfish comes up out of the deep waters and reaches for the shiny golden Moon. Around the Moon are little sparks of light, it has that shimmer that objects of desire always seem to have. Whether it is a new job or a new car or a new relationship, we invest the things we want with a special glow. The crayfish seems to be reaching and yearning for something he will never be able to attain. This particular Moon card is reminding me that often our “feelings and unconscious” adds up to what we want, what we desire.

The card reminds me of the poem "Overheard on a Salt Marsh" by Harold Monro.
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/594.html

But also, the Moon represent a light in the darkness. Sometimes our deepest desire, what we need and want above all else, is to believe that things will be OK when it doesn't look like they will be. Maybe the crayfish is reaching so desperately because he sees something more meaningful and bright than his existence under the water. Desire can lead to evolution.

The Moon card represents Pisces (so does the Queen of Cups in this deck so there is a connection between those cards) Pisces is a Mutable water Sign. It is a dreamy, fantasizing sign and not oriented to the physical world of here and now. It fits with this idea of longing and desire.

--Myrrha

RichardG

Norbert's ORIGINAL Moon card.

You might be interested to see Norbert's original version of the The Moon card.

http://norbertlosche.bravepages.com/NLcosmictarot.html

There's also some interesting history on the role that FX Schmid played on the way that we haven always 'seen' this deck...
Just imagine if there was an 'acrylic painting' AND a 'coloured ink-drawing' edition of the Cosmic!