Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: Crowley Biographies

Mitzy

Hahaha, I love that cover!
I actually don't have the Duquette book here in the US with me, so I might get that bundled set at the bottom. It looks um - interesting, yeah that's the word, interesting.

Grigori

akirafist said:
Who else is buying
"Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded: The Life of Aleister Crowley"
when it comes out on August 10th?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1556438990

I've not read this bio so have preordered and looking forward to receiving it. Sadly it will be a lot after August 10th for it to get here the way Amazon's international postage works. So I look forward to reading the reviews!

Lela

akirafist said:
Who else is buying
"Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded: The Life of Aleister Crowley"
when it comes out on August 10th?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1556438990
Yep, I'll be getting a copy too. I just recently got my first Thoth and I must say that my reading list has grown considerably, but I am so loving this deck. :D

zan_chan

I've certainly pre-ordered mine too, though I did love Do What Thou Wilt...

sapienza

Because I seem totally unable to make a decision about a biography, I've decided to re-read DuQuette. Will see where I go from there I guess. Maybe I can wait until everyone has read Purdurabo and then see what people think. :)

thorhammer

sapienza said:
Because I seem totally unable to make a decision about a biography, I've decided to re-read DuQuette. Will see where I go from there I guess. Maybe I can wait until everyone has read Purdurabo and then see what people think. :)
I'm still happy to lend you my copy of Do What Thou Wilt, sweetie. That will easily tide you over till Perdurabo gets to our shores!

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

sapienza said:
I'd be keen to hear more on why this book is the must read.
It's probably the most complete Crowley biography written to date. Prior to reading Perdurabo I had read 8 (maybe more?) Crowley biographies, so I thought I pretty much knew all there was to know. Richard Kaczynski proved me wrong. While reading his book I was constantly stopping and saying to myself, "ah, I didn't know that." But that's as it should be. Not since John Symonds effort (Crowley's first biographer) has any writer had as much open access to rare archival material as Kaczynski did during the writing of Perdurabo, and it shows.

Here's an interesting factoid about Perdurabo. The first edition, printed by New Falcon, was limited to a mere 3000 copies. In publishing terms that is microscopic. (It didn't stop me from bagging a copy though. :laugh:) Kaczynski decided to split with New Falcon and find a bigger publisher who could give his book the exposure it deserved. Unfortunately none of the big publishers were interested. This begs the question, why? How does the most thoroughly researched Crowley biography struggle to find a publisher? My answer is that publishing houses know what sells. Factual and accurate doesn't always equal big buck$. ;)

Another thing in favour of Kaczynski's book is his insight into Crowley's inner life. With a few of exceptions previous biographers have either ignored, ridiculed, or down-played Crowley's spiritual pursuits. But that left them with a problem. Crowley's spiritual quest was the driving force behind his life, and many of his actions are incomprehensible without an understanding of it. This has led some biographers to go "excuse hunting", and given them ample opportunities for selfrighteous indignation and feigned disapproval. But as every entertainer knows, you have to play to the audience. :rolleyes:
sapienza said:
I'd really like an objective bio and yet it seems that they are either anti-Crowley or written by those who essentially follow Crowley and subscribe to his philosophies.
There's no such thing as an objective biography. All biographers get in the way to one degree or another. ;)

As a supplement to any biography I like to recommend, Astrology, Aleister, & Aeon by Charles Kipp.
http://www.amazon.com/Astrology-Ale...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280051584&sr=1-2

Kipp analyses Crowley's birthchart and provides insight into him and his worldview that you won't find in any biography. A bit heavy going in places, but worth the effort.