Wasp be gone...naturally?

Tarotphelia

As for your roaches, and/or ants if anyone else had those, boric acid powder is a time tested remedy. It is not expensive , and you can find large bottles in drug & hardware stores this time of year. It is not harmful to adults and lasts 8 years . (In the olden days, my parents used to wash their eyes out with it -- ewwww !!)

Treating the perimeter of all your rooms is the best way I have found, and blowing some into any cracks & crevices you find. If you have carpet, use something flat to move the fibers away from the wall a bit and sprinkle it in the gap. For uncarpeted areas, sprinkle along the baseboard and use a soft paintbrush to shove it underneath . It will kill anything that tracks through it, and it gets back to the nest and messes that up too. Make sure you do under sinks and around pipes & holes in walls.

Outside, you can sprinkle it in cracks in concrete , etc. But it will kill plants, so keep it off the grass . Helpful to kill grass you don't want growing in sidewalk cracks though.

I never bother with sprays anymore at all. Bugs just seem to walk over them and keep on living. And sprays smell bad too.

HudsonGray

Yes! That boric acid works well on cockroaches. I remember using it at the old apartment, just put it into bottle caps or pickle jar lids & slide those under the refrigerator and stove! The bugs died fast!

Emily

I didn't know about Boric Acid powder - I always have problems with ants and I hate using Ant Powder - might just give Boric Acid a try. :)

Stacie Jung

3 to 4 seconds in the microwave?

HudsonGray said:
"So then, when you are *really really* sure there is no surviving wasp, you can keep the pretty nest (well aired out of course) as a souvenir "

One quick way to 'make sure'. Microwave it for half a minute! NO insect survives past 3 or 4 seconds in a microwave.

Hey, I used to live in an apartment in nyc that was infested with roaches. One got into the microwave, and for (cruel) fun, I turned it on. The thing was walking around after 2 minutes. Then it seemed to be dead. I opened the door to remove it, and it flipped over and started to walk. OMG-ess. I was so grossed out, I just grabbed it, squished it, flushed it, and scrubbed out the microwave. Those things will outlive us all.

sleepingcat

Borax under the foundation for the win.

However, for wasps, I've heard they're very territorial. If you can treat the nest completely, leave it up and other wasps wont impune on that area.

Sinduction

With nests. I heard you can just hang up a brown paper bag. They think it's another nest so they stay away.

We have a wasp problem on our balcony so we've been spraying it down in the morning so when they come around they hover and then move on. It doesn't seem to be working though.

I don't want to kill them, just have them move on somewhere else.

I've heard lemon grass extract keeps them away, and also soap. But I think my landlord would not like me soaping down our balcony! :D

memries

With the circumstance you wrote that it is a matter of life or death for your husband, you will have to declare all out war with them right away. Watch where they go then find a system or hire someone to get rid of them. There may be more than one nest. You really have no choice. Do it right away, first priority.

I had some in the brickwork of the outside porch once and they stung everyone who walked by. I bought one of those bomb things and followed instructions. It worked. I had tried lots of things.

If the house is all screened in and they are inside then it is pretty sure they might be somewhere with inside access to the house.