Fantastical Creatures Tarot

Libra8ca

missy said:
My other question, is it looks like this isn't a RWS clone and seems to be a whole new system to learn.

Is this the case?

Example: Four of Cups (Tiamat)

Seen here in the Cups suit: http://www.fantasticalcreatures.com/cups.html

Traditional meanings like apathy, self-absorption do not seem to apply.

Any thoughts? :)
It deviates quite a bit from the traditional RWS which makes it a bit difficult to read with especially for a beginner. I have the deck and the booklet says regarding the four of cups:
"The goblets represent the great creating power of the Goddess Tiamat. The fish/spiral shells emphasize her fertility as mother of all. The seagulls symbolize souls ready to be born.
Divinatory meaning: something important is missing from your life but you are unable to determine what it is. You have withdrawn emotionally waiting in a sea of uncertainty."
So this card indicates emotional confusion / uncertainty as opposed to apathy / self-absorption in the traditional system.

missy

Libra8ca said:
It deviates quite a bit from the traditional RWS which makes it a bit difficult to read with especially for a beginner. I have the deck and the booklet says regarding the four of cups:
"The goblets represent the great creating power of the Goddess Tiamat. The fish/spiral shells emphasize her fertility as mother of all. The seagulls symbolize souls ready to be born.
Divinatory meaning: something important is missing from your life but you are unable to determine what it is. You have withdrawn emotionally waiting in a sea of uncertainty."
So this card indicates emotional confusion / uncertainty as opposed to apathy / self-absorption in the traditional system.

Thanks, Libra8ca. I just looked up more info on Tiamat. Tiamat is quite something! A bit scary! :eek:

And from the information I found, it would make reading this card even more difficult due to the nature of Tiamat.

From wikipedia:

"In Babylonian mythology[1], Tiamat is a goddess who personifies the sea. Tiamat is considered the monstrous embodiment of primordial chaos.[2] Although there are no early precedents for it, some sources identify her with images of a sea serpent or dragon.[3] In the Enûma Elish, the Babylonian epic of creation, she gives birth to the first generation of deities; she later makes war upon them and is killed by the storm-god Marduk. The heavens and the earth are formed from her divided body."

<snip>

"Tiamat was the "shining" personification of salt water who roared and smote in the chaos of original creation. She and Apsu filled the cosmic abyss with the primeval waters. She is "Ummu-Hubur who formed all things".

In the myth recorded on cuneiform tablets, the deity Enki (later Ea) believed correctly that Apsu, upset with the chaos they created, was planning to murder the younger deities; and so slew him. This angered Kingu, their son, who reported the event to Tiamat, whereupon she fashioned monsters to battle the deities in order to avenge Apsu's death. These were her own offspring: giant sea serpents, storm demons, fish-men, scorpion-men and many others.

Tiamat possessed the Tablets of Destiny and in the primordial battle she gave them to Kingu, the god she had chosen as her lover and the leader of her host. The deities gathered in terror, but Anu, (replaced later, first by Enlil and, in the late version that has survived after the First Dynasty of Babylon, by Marduk, the son of Ea), first extracting a promise that he would be revered as "king of the gods", overcame her, armed with the arrows of the winds, a net, a club, and an invincible spear.
And the lord stood upon Tiamat's hinder parts,
And with his merciless club he smashed her skull.
He cut through the channels of her blood,
And he made the North wind bear it away into secret places.

Slicing Tiamat in half, he made from her ribs the vault of heaven and earth. Her weeping eyes became the source of the Tigris and the Euphrates. With the approval of the elder deities, he took from Kingu the Tablets of Destiny, installing himself as the head of the Babylonian pantheon. Kingu was captured and later was slain: his red blood mixed with the red clay of the Earth would make the body of humankind, created to act as the servant of the younger Igigi deities."

:bugeyed:

missy

I picked out three other random cards from the Cups suit to test their meanings.

http://www.fantasticalcreatures.com/cups.html

Six of Cups - Yemaya - means per wiki "She is the ocean, the essence of motherhood, and a protector of children." Traditional meanings of innocence, goodwill, childhood, nostalgia don't seem to apply.

Five of Cups - Lorelei - per wiki "one of the beautiful Rhine Maidens who, legend has it, lured navigators of this river to their dooms with their alluring singing, much like the Sirens of ancient Greek myth." The traditional meaning of "crying over spilled milk" doesn't seem apt.

Eight of Cups - The 9 daughters of Ran - wiki "The Daughters of Ægir are the nine daughters of Ægir and Rán, a giant and goddess who both represent the sea in Norse mythology. Their names are poetic terms for different characteristics of ocean waves." And "Also quoted by Snorri is the Nordrsetudrapa by the poet Svein: 'When hard gusts from the white mountain range teased apart and wove together the storm-happy daughters of Ægir, bred on frost.'" Traditional RWS meanings of growing weary, moving on, seeking deeper meaning don't seem to work.

Just some examples!

Beautiful cards - gorgeous. But maybe not suited for traditional readings.

Perhaps they would be lovely for reflection/inner meditation. They are still lovely! :D

missy

After reading some of the comments after people received their decks from this thread here (toward the end of the thread) and also comments in this thread about D.J. Conway's writing, and it trying to smush RWS meanings along with these incongruous meanings on the cards, I've decided not to buy this one for now.

Seems that Lisa Hunt makes lovely decks, spectacularly lovely artwork, but I haven't found a lot of people saying they are easy to read with. Moreso the theme is people buy them and later trade them due to not being able to read with them.

This one REALLY has lovely artwork, though! That is what makes it so hard ...

Le Fanu

So... I see from another thread that there was no companion book (which was the subject of my search).

However, Id just like to hear from anyone who has the kit.

I ordered what was listed as the kit from the Book Depository (with their notoriously wayward descriptions of items), expecting companion book yet got a standard tuck-boxed deck with LWB.

The review here at AT mentions the kit and mentions spreadsheets. Im guessing it is a typical "Premier Edition" type kit; deck, spreadsheet and LWB but not a book so - in effect - not technically a "kit".

I love this deck. I can do without flimsy spreadsheets, but are there two formats of this then? Tuckbox and Premier Edition.

And still no book, though I did see a book the other day in the esoteric bookshop near here by DJ Conway on fantastical beasts...

HearthCricket

Le Fenu~There is no companion book to this deck, but I wish there was because it is a favourite of mine and has been since I first saw it. The tuck box and Premier editions are exactly the same, except that besides a paper spread sheet, the Premier edition is a box within a larger box, primarily so people can't steal the deck and it gives a larger visual on the shelves so more eye-catching than the average size tarot box. Most of USG now comes like this. They are pretty, but unnecessary, IMO. I usually toss them and just put the box in my drawers or slip it into a bag. At least the cards are not loose. They are still inside a tuck box, that rests inside the Premier packaging.

There is a Mythical Creatures Bible, which I found helpful. Any book on myths, legends, Goddesses, etc. will help you glean info on the gang. I find this deck very accurate!

http://www.amazon.com/Mythical-Crea...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281701394&sr=8-1

Le Fanu

I knew this was one of your favourites from another thread!

Isn't this an amazing deck, dripping with atmosphere, gnarled roots and magic!

I ordered my copy online so it makes sense (with your shoplifting theory) that if you buy online it doesn't need to be a Premier Edition.

I really don't need the spread sheet and I have a fabulous baba Chinese dragon bag to keep it in.

I know a lot of the beasts from childhood reading; Pegasus, Medusa, the Arabian Nights etc.. but there are some others which I wasn't sure about. I'll check out your book recommendation.

Wonderful deck!

HighPriestess

I love this deck! My favourite cards are the Fool, the Emperor, the Lovers, the Moon, and the Sun in the majors. I like the Page of Cups, Seven of Cups, Knight of Swords, Seven, Four, and Three of Swords, Seven and Eight of Wands, the list goes on!

I find the LWB to be a little cheesy. Saying: "This particular object the figure is holding represents X" isn't exactly conductive to intuitive readings, IMO. I'd rather decide on my own what the objects mean to me. I mostly ignore the LWB as a result.

Krystal

OctoberGwen

Le Fanu said:
And still no book, though I did see a book the other day in the esoteric bookshop near here by DJ Conway on fantastical beasts...

*whistling* I have a copy of this for sale right now in the Trading forum...

Le Fanu

OctoberGwen said:
*whistling* I have a copy of this for sale right now in the Trading forum...
I noticed, but her writing gets such a slating for new agey prissiness that I've given it a wide berth ;) })